Southern Europe GB Chat

Wez

On 27/05/2023 at 15:22, paul-muc said:

I have a Heller Bugatti T50. They did't race at Monaco but three of them at Le Mans.
Is that southern too?

Erm...  

On 27/05/2023 at 18:24, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I doubt it.  Le Mans is just south of Paris.

...what he said, south of Paris, north of the Loire, definitely in the northern part of France so not eligible I'm afraid.

On 27/05/2023 at 22:43, stevehnz said:

What about a Spanish Armada AV-8B but with special markings from Riat 2019? I'm guessing it probably continued to wear them after RIAT for some time. :unsure:

Steve.

Doesn't matter Steve, it wore those markings in Spain before and after it went to RIAT, plus, it qualifies just on account of being Spanish anyway.  Bring on the AV-8B is what I say!

On 28/05/2023 at 05:20, Luke1199 said:

Well my plan is the Trumpeter MiG-19S in 1/48 with a decal sheet from Iliad to make it an Albanian J-6

Something like this...

Albanian_F-6_which_is_a_Chinese_copy_of_the_MiG-19S

Photo from military images

Reminds me of a Monty Python sketch...  ...anyway, that's a lovely subject, very pleased to see one of those

• Like 2

Another GB, bit fatigued with them but the subject I have in mind I'm keen on building anyway so doesn't seem like theres any harm in entering this one, only ever done the one Southern European build to date and thats in the inspiration gallery now 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

only ever done the one Southern European build to date and thats in the inspiration gallery now 

Same for me, so I need to rectify that. 

I'm just coming down from the madness (maybe not for you, but certainly for me) that was the Dassault GB.  I kinda lost control in that one.  I was looking forward to getting my "in progress" count down to single figures, but then along comes another GB which has captured my imagination due to the sheer volume of interesting subjects.  

I've always wanted to build an F-104S. 🇮🇹  But which scheme?  The classic camouflage or the later air defence grey?  Simple answer...   both! :D 

I've also always wanted to build another Fiat G-91.  I built the venerable Airfix kit back in the day, but that's over half a century ago, so it's definitely time for another.  A German aircraft isn't eligible for this GB.  I'm already building two Italian subjects in this GB.  So it looks like it will have to be Portuguese...  🇵🇹

I recall a wonderful detachment in 1988 to Rota in Andalusia, southern Spain.  There isn't actually much of Spain that is further south than Rota, so an AV-8S seems to be in order. 🇪🇸 

So far la tea dough this year, I have built six Mirage III/5 and three Mirage F1s, so one would have thought that's the Mirage itch well and truly scratched.  But no. :fraidnot:   I've still got room for a Spanish Mirage IIIEE 🇪🇸  and a Greek Mirage F1CG in their wonderful Aegean Ghost scheme. 🇬🇷  

So that's it.   Off the deep end again. :mental:   The good news is that I am building entirely from The Stash.  :yahoo:  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

This start is worrying close; two F-4 Phantoms in progress from a current and a previous GB, I want to get one or both done before starting here. Still hoping to do a (dirty) grey 🇮🇹 F-104S for this, got some nice Wolfpak decals. There are other kits in the stash that possibly could fit but checked existing builds and none of them fit this theme. There is another F-104 on the SoD that has been languishing for ~20 years* and I vaguely remember a SM79 built in the 1970s and long since binned; surprising.

Chris

*If I get that one done I'll drop it in the inspiration gallery.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JackG said:

I believe the Austro-Hungarian aspect had been sorted, as long as the subject operated in the region/countries that fall under the umbrella of this group build.

So that would be anything operating on the Italian front. That gives me a few more options. 

Edited by Marklo

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

I have my two Ansaldos so I’m sorted. But a question do the Austro-Hungarian empire and Turkey count?

For the Austro-Hungarian Empire see post 1 of the chat.  Turkey, I'm afraid not

• Thanks 1

IMG-2408.jpg

Knoller 70

IMG-2409.jpg
Lohner type AA

Some web surfing turned up there two Austro-Hungarian beauties, I particularly love the Lohner, which will complement my DFW Floh and Sage type 2 wonderfully.  Both will be getting built for the GB.

3E416C30-3788-42F7-9C83-643856E798AF.jpgThe Floh

F0FBCD36-29DC-4873-B443-968BF0CE0B80.jpgThe Sage . Both real aircraft not egg planes :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Here is the revised badge with the Italian cartoon Topo Gigio, along with the additional country flags.  Though more of a design decision, have left out the former Yugoslavia.  Amply represented by the individual country flags, but if it is important to include it will be no problem to add it in.

south-europe-badge.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Jack, thanks for doing that, looks great.

The only problem is I can't remember how to add a banner to my posts, it's so long since I did it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Go to your profile and edit your signature.

And what do I put in there then?  Imagine I'm an idiot (hard to believe I know) that I've never done it before and I'm asking for a friend...:whistle:

• Haha 1

Hi @Wez,

I think this would be eligible as based in Sicily and Italy facing the Allied advance, but I just wanted to check:

img20230602-10180812.jpg

No comments please on the colours - its a scan of a print of a PDF! I'm more interested in the blurb at the top for eligibility reasons!

Cheers,

Mark

5 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I think this would be eligible as based in Sicily and Italy facing the Allied advance,

I think that would be eligible too

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Orso said:

I have a Studio 27 1976 Monaco GP March 761 that I need an excuse to build

No excuse needed, build it in this GB

• Like 1