Southern Europe GB Chat

Wez

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Wez @wez, I just had a light bulb moment, thinking that my Invader might not work for your GB. It would be a CEAM machine.... 🤞?

Ta,

Martin

PS: I fear the worst!! 

As we've discussed off board, sadly CEAM is based in Mont de Marsan which is in the Lande department, it's too far north mate. 

Right, begging bowl time...   ...TonyOD who'd agreed to be my co-host has bowed out from BM and will no longer be co-hosting, thanks to TOny for his original offer and good luck to him in the future.

I therefore need at least 1, preferably 2 co-hosts for this GB, can anyone help please?  There's no reward other than my gratitude.

1 hour ago, Wez said:

I therefore need at least 1, preferably 2 co-hosts for this GB, can anyone help please?  There's no reward other than my gratitude.

Ive got 3 STGB’s Im co-hosting and also dealing with some medical issues. However If no one else steps up I will do what I can to to help out if thats ok Wez ? 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive got 3 STGB’s Im co-hosting and also dealing with some medical issues. However If no one else steps up I will do what I can to to help out if thats ok Wez ? 

Dennis,

That's very kind of you thanks.

Anyone else willing to help?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Thanks to Martin @RidgeRunner and Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle for agreeing to co-host, although I would appreciate another volunteer if only to take some pressure off of Dennis (as he seems rather beleaguered).  Is there another volunteer out there?

If All goes well I should be past the worst of the medical treatments and on the mend by then. But another host cant hurt. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If All goes well I should be past the worst of the medical treatments and on the mend by then. But another host cant hurt. 

Thanks Dennis, finger's crossed all goes well.

For anyone thinking of being a co-host but not knowing what it involves I can confirm it's nothing too onerous.

Basically, you need to apply the rules of the GB, greet those that join in and offer encouragement to the participants.  If you think you can manage this we'd love to hear from you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wez said:

Thanks Dennis, finger's crossed all goes well.

For anyone thinking of being a co-host but not knowing what it involves I can confirm it's nothing too onerous.

Basically, you need to apply the rules of the GB, greet those that join in and offer encouragement to the participants.  If you think you can manage this we'd love to hear from you.

and what a great subject to "over see" ;)

• Like 3

I've finalised my interim plan for this GB.  :lol: 

Italian F-104S

Italian G.91R

Spanish Mirage F1 in the air defence grey scheme.  I plan another Spanish Mirage F1 in desert camouflage in the Desert GB.

Greek Mirage F1 in the Aegean scheme.

I haven't decided whether the F-104S will be in the classic camouflage scheme or the air defence scheme.  Disturbingly The Stash has enough kits and decals to do both...  :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I haven't decided whether the F-104S will be in the classic camouflage scheme or the air defence scheme.  Disturbingly The Stash has enough kits and decals to do both...  :shrug:

Well there's your answer.  :evil_laugh:

Aegean Ghost F1 will be glorious (one of my favorite schemes).  I need to track down some decals (1/48) for that one.

• Like 1

Wez @Wez

Sorry if this has been asked before but would aircraft operating from carriers qualify? eg Seafires from Op. Avelanche or Hellcats from Op. Dragoon. 

Thanks

James 

14 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I've finalised my interim plan for this GB.  :lol: 

Italian F-104S

Italian G.91R

Spanish Mirage F1 in the air defence grey scheme.  I plan another Spanish Mirage F1 in desert camouflage in the Desert GB.

Greek Mirage F1 in the Aegean scheme.

Good choices. I've just bought decals for an AMI 104S in grey; cant find photos of the ones on the sheet, so I'll have to work out which of the interesting options for loadout I'll go with; Aspide on one wingtip, multiple tanks, or sidewinders underwing as per last QRAs.

Chris

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Well you know the answer to that Enzo old mate - do them both!  It may be interesting to make the same jet in one scheme on one side and the other scheme on the opposite side...

7 hours ago, franky boy said:

Wez @Wez

Sorry if this has been asked before but would aircraft operating from carriers qualify? eg Seafires from Op. Avelanche or Hellcats from Op. Dragoon. 

Thanks

James 

James,

As long as you can positively prove the subjects were used in the area, they're acceptable.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

An excellent idea :)

• Like 1

I’m starting to warm to the idea of using the ‘B’ option decals in some of the new Airfix kits to help lift some of my ‘older moulds’ that litter the stash. Current thinking is knocking up the Heller F-86 Sabre with some new Italian decals as one possible choice. Might see what else I can find too. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

On 1/19/2023 at 4:11 AM, Wez said:

France (from the following regions: Occitaine, Provence-Alpes-Côte D'Azur and of course, Corse (Corsica),

Please excuse my lack of geographical knowledge here, however can anyone provide some post-war French aviation examples that might fit this category? 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

30 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Please excuse my lack of geographical knowledge here, however can anyone provide some post-war French aviation examples that might fit this category? 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

EH1/44 with Puma in Corsica

EC2/5 with Mirage 2000 at Orange

ET1/31 with A330 at Istres

I am comfortable those are within the geography and a bit of web search would show what's been there in the last 70+ years, if current isn't the question.

Chris

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

Good afternoon Dave 

Here is a list of French Air and Space Force bases found in  Wikipedia

Southern region (RAS: Région Aérienne Sud)[edit]

Air Base nameBase AerienneFrench titleNotes

Toulouse-Francazal Air BaseBA 101Base aérienne 101 Toulouse – Francazal "Général Lionel de Marmier"

Bordeaux-Mérignac Air BaseBA 106Base aérienne 106 Bordeaux – Mérignac "Capitaine Michel Croci"

Orange-Caritat Air BaseBA 115Base aérienne 115 Orange – Caritat "Capitaine de Seyne"

Mont-de-Marsan Air BaseBA 118Base aérienne 118 Mont-de-Marsan "Colonel Constantin Rozanoff"

Cazaux Air BaseBA 120Base aérienne 120 Cazaux "Commandant Marzac"

Istres – Le Tubé Air BaseBA 125Base aérienne 125 Istres – Le Tubé "Sous-lieutenant Charles Monier"

Solenzara Air BaseBA 126Base aérienne 126 Solenzara "Capitaine Preziosi"

Ambérieu-en-Bugey Air BaseBA 278Base aérienne 278 Ambérieu-en-Bugey "Colonel Albert Chambonnet"

Salon-de-Provence Air BaseBA 701Base aérienne 701 Salon-de-Provence "Général Pineau"

Cognac – Châteaubernard Air BaseBA 709Base aérienne 709 Cognac – Châteaubernard "Commandant Ménard"

Rochefort - Saint-Agnant Air BaseBA 721Base aérienne 721 Rochefort – Saint-Agnant "Adjudant Gémot"

Grenoble - Montbonnot Air BaseBA 749Base aérienne 749 Grenoble – Montbonnot

Lyon – Mont Verdun Air BaseBA 942Base aérienne 942 Lyon – Mont Verdun "Capitaine Jean Robert"

Nice Air BaseBA 943Base aérienne 943 Nice "Capitaine Auber"

fr:Détachement air 204 Bordeaux-BeauséjourDA 204Détachement air 204 Bordeaux – Beauséjour

Varennes-sur-Allier Air DetachmentDA 277Détachement air 277 Varennes-sur-Allier "Capitaine Rousseau"

Saintes - Thénac Air BaseEETAA 722Ecole d'enseignement technique de l'armée de l'air 722 Saintes – Thénac "Capitaine Albert Raffin"

Of this list I think that only the units based on following Air Bases enter this Gb 

Orange-Caritat Air BaseBA 115Base aérienne 115 Orange – Caritat "Capitaine de Seyne"

Istres – Le Tubé Air BaseBA 125Base aérienne 125 Istres – Le Tubé "Sous-lieutenant Charles Monier"

Ambérieu-en-Bugey Air BaseBA 278Base aérienne 278 Ambérieu-en-Bugey "Colonel Albert Chambonnet"

Salon-de-Provence Air BaseBA 701Base aérienne 701 Salon-de-Provence "Général Pineau"

Nice Air BaseBA 943Base aérienne 943 Nice "Capitaine Auber"

In Corsica Solenzara Air BaseBA 126Base aérienne 126 Solenzara "Capitaine Preziosi" 

I can only advise you to do some research according to the type of aircraft you intend to represent, the units that used it and the time .

As an example after the reconquest of Corsica by the allied forces in 1943 and until the end of the war in 1945 a lot of units of the allied air forces operated from airfields located in the island and sometimes for hardly some months and this is also the case for other airfields located in Southern France  ..

Of course you should ask Wez for more confirmation  

Patrice 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/6/2023 at 12:33 AM, sardaukar said:

I'm think of joining with either a Croatian T-34 or T-54/55.

That is just right kind of variety and difference to make this a comprehensive, diverse GB. 

Martin

• Like 3

On 3/10/2023 at 12:44 PM, Chrisj2003 said:

EH1/44 with Puma in Corsica

EC2/5 with Mirage 2000 at Orange

ET1/31 with A330 at Istres

I am comfortable those are within the geography and a bit of web search would show what's been there in the last 70+ years, if current isn't the question.

Chris

Absolutely, Chris!!!!!