Southern Europe GB Chat

Wez

I like geographical based GBs, they're more inclusive, they can include those other things that aren't aircraft and it's interesting to see these alongside the usual suspects.

I was disappointed that the Italian GB proposal didn't get through the bunfight as it promised an interesting variety of subjects so I decided to widen the catchment area to include Portugal, Spain and Greece.  When I thought about it, the South of France falls into this category, so does Monaco, Malta and Cyprus.

So is there any appetite for this GB?  Think of those unusual aircraft types the Portuguese used in their colonial wars, the Spanish Civil war of course gives plenty of scope, as do the southerly French regions of the Occitaine, Provence-Alpes-Côte D'Azur.  Then there's Monaco with its racing cars, Italy and Greece with their rich histories, Malta and its stubborn resistance to the onslaughts of the Germans and Italians, and of course, Cyprus with its strategic position and ancient history.

Thanks to @Paul Bradley for reminding me about Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania too!

After much deliberation, subjects from the following geographical areas are eligible:

Portugal

Spain

Gibraltar

France (from the following regions: Occitaine, Provence-Alpes-Côte D'Azur and of course, Corse (Corsica),

Monaco

Italy (including all of the islands)

Malta

Slovenia

Croatia

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Montenegro

Yugoslavia pre break up

Albania

Greece

Cyprus

Subjects from antiquity from these countries are allowed, also previous incarnations are eligible too such as the Austro-Hungarian Empire, as long as they are from the geographical areas outlined above..

Equipment from countries outside of this area that were permanently based there (e.g. 56 Sqn RAF on Lightnings were based in Cyprus so that's acceptable, but 56 Sqn RAF with Phantoms only went there on detachment e.g. APC, so that wouldn't be acceptable).  Eligible subjects also include wartime rotations such as the RAF Sqns or the RN Submarines based in Malta or any ship assigned to Force H in Gibraltar.

Cars raced in the Monaco GP would be acceptable too.

Signed up already...

1.  Wez

2.  helios16v

3.  Chrisj2003

4.  jackroadkill

5.  CliffB

6.  Paul Bradley

7.  Corsairfourfoxuncle

8.  zebra

9.  Bertie Psmith

10. modelling minion

11. franky boy

12. Rabbit Leader

13. Robert Stuart

14. Prenton

15. ArnoldAmbrose

16. dnl42

17. TEMPESTMK5

18. Bobby No Mac

19. TonyOD

20. JOCKNEY

21. Tim R-T-C

22. Ettore

23. Marklo

24. John Masters

25.  Dansk

26. stevehnz

27. vppelt68

28. LorenSharp

29. TimJ

30. Moggy 🏁

31. Grandboof

32. RidgeRunner

33. ModellingEdmontonian

34. Ale85

35. JosephLalor

36. Bertie McBoatface

37. DaveJL

38. JWM

39...???

• Like 5

• Wez changed the title to Southern Europe GB (Portugal, Spain, Southern France, Italy and Greece etc) for 2023
23 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Hey @Wez, might want to pop a "2023" in the title somewhere so the thread doesn't accidentally get moved when the chat is cleared of all the 2022 subjects that came up short.

Thanks Chris, are you up for this?

5 minutes ago, Wez said:

Thanks Chris, are you up for this?

Sure.  Probably an HAF F-4E AUP (will have conversion parts by then) or an Italian Starfighter/Tornado.

Unless I'm feeling ground bound, in which case an F1 car would be delicious.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul Bradley said:

Well, if you are doing Italy and Greece, how about the four countries in between - Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania? 

Yes, those too!

• Like 1

• Wez changed the title to Southern Europe GB for 2023... ...up and running!
1 minute ago, jackroadkill said:

Will you sing Pet Semetary to me in person if I sign up, @Wez?

Wouldn't you rather have Rockaway Beach?  Great drumbreak in that one!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Go on then, I'm in!

Good man, best I start practising!

8 hours ago, CliffB said:

Have I read this right Wez?  An F1 car from a Monaco GP would qualify?  If so, please sign me up :thumbsup2:

Cheers

Well, I couldn't think of any other way of shoe horning Monaco in unless you wanted to do a figure model of Princes Grace or scratchbuild a super yeacht?

You will of course be required to prove its Monaco credentials.

8 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

In that case, I'm in!

Good man!  Thanks for the prompt.

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Count me in either Malta, SCW, or Greek. 

Nice one Dennis, any of those would be of great interest.

Hopefully, you've got the cut of the jib of this one, does it interest you?  Come and join us in 2023!

• Like 2

You're always going to face problems of how to define the region in a proposal like this (I could ask why Slovenia and Croatia but not Serbia, for example) but what you're basically proposing here is a "places you'd have been able to get my Mum to go for a summer holiday" (everywhere else being too far, too hot, not hot enough, or lacking a beach) GB! 

Anyway, count me in. Not sure what I'd build (and whatever I end up doing would probably be different from anything I think of right now anyway) although a Securite Civile water bomber could be high on the list.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, zebra said:

You're always going to face problems of how to define the region in a proposal like this (I could ask why Slovenia and Croatia but not Serbia, for example) but what you're basically proposing here is a "places you'd have been able to get my Mum to go for a summer holiday" (everywhere else being too far, too hot, not hot enough, or lacking a beach) GB! 

Anyway, count me in. Not sure what I'd build (and whatever I end up doing would probably be different from anything I think of right now anyway) although a Securite Civile water bomber could be high on the list.

Thanks for signing up.  I agree it's difficult but I sea Serbia as Central/Eastern Europe besides it doesn't have a ...

3 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Coastline. 

...what he said, I'm only counting countries with a coastline, nothing to do with getting my mum to go there on holiday, but because I grew up by the coast and live near the coast and I really like the coast (I always think a country without a coastline is a bit unfortunate)!

Now we've got that sorted, does anyone else want to join?

• Like 1

Gibraltar to Greece then. Northern Mediterranean Coast. That's a region soaked in the bloody history that appeals to moddellers like me. Maybe a Roman figure, a Venetian Galley, a Napoleonic period artillery piece from the Peninsular war, Gibraltar suggests Italian midget submarines to me though you could model the whole rock, it's small enough for a diorama. Greek legends? Would a bust of Medusa qualify? And then there's a few other things from the 20th century I suppose. 🙄

Yes, put me down for this one please. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

It did when it was part of Yugoslavia.........

True, so Yugoslavia would be eligible, but not Serbia as a single sovereign state.  Are you in then?

4 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Gibraltar to Greece then. Northern Mediterranean Coast. That's a region soaked in the bloody history that appeals to moddellers like me. Maybe a Roman figure, a Venetian Galley, a Napoleonic period artillery piece from the Peninsular war, Gibraltar suggests Italian midget submarines to me though you could model the whole rock, it's small enough for a diorama. Greek legends? Would a bust of Medusa qualify? And then there's a few other things from the 20th century I suppose. 🙄

Yes, put me down for this one please. 

Some great subjects there, thanks for signing up.

• Like 1

• Wez changed the title to Southern Europe GB for 2023... ...in double figures!

Good morning Wez 

I think that this Gb looks like a MTO GB ? in that case what about a post WWII MTO GB in which every country with an access to the Med sea would be elligible ? 

Best Regards 

Patrice