Lighting a diorama and making a mortor.

Muchmirth

Hi all. I'm about three weeks away from starting a new scratch built project (only done couple bits and previous scratch built wasn't up to much). It's going to be a 1/35 scale attic set in arnham with one paratrooper figure and a sb three inch mortor. So my question is in too totally separate parts:

One- can anyone advise how or where to get a approx 3mm led single light? I'd like this to I've look the typical attic lighting. A single bulb dangling from ceiling, lighting the paras face. I've been on that many websites now I'm a bit confused what to get. I want to do this cheaply. Ideally less than £20. I've literally zero knowledge of cathodes and diodes. I've seen a expo light which looks good and could pass as a raw wired bulb. But it doesn't come with the battery pack. Where would I get a 12v battery pack? Does it have to be 12v and do I need anything else to hook this up? If anyone has any better suggestions I'm all ears. 

2- as mentioned it's going to feature a three inch mortor tube which old like to try and build myself (as inspired by model mates fantastic scratch builds on here). I've bought an assorted pack of evergreen styrene tube and rod. Is their anything else people would suggest I need for this? I haven't the base plate sorted yet and is extra thin tamiya cement ok to stock all this together? 

Many thanks in advance, I know some of it sounds random.

Paul

I'd quite like to know the answer to the first question, too. I have a plan to some day build a mechanic's workshop and that will benefit from a real light overhead.

For your mortar, I think that you will want some strips, preferably metal, to make the clamps around the tube. I buy them from Eileen's Emporium. Try to get the phosphor bronze, as it's easier to work. The sheet copper is handy, too. Elsewhere at that site, you can find useful things like lead sheet and various plastic shapes.

Oh, and extra-thin can be a risk for a lot of plastic stock, so test it first or use a thicker glue (which is very useful anyway).

Edited by Ade H
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ade H said:

I'd quite like to know the answer to the first question, too. I have a plan to some day build a mechanic's workshop and that will benefit from a real light overhead.

For your mortar, I think that you will want some strips, preferably metal, to make the clamps around the tube. I buy them from Eileen's Emporium. Try to get the phosphor bronze, as it's easier to work. The sheet copper is handy, too. Elsewhere at that site, you can find useful things like lead sheet and various plastic shapes.

Oh, and extra-thin can be a risk for a lot of plastic stock, so test it first or use a thicker glue (which is very useful anyway).

Cheers Ade. I was think about using metal. Like brass or copper. With out sounding like a complete tube (excise the bad pun) How would you go about joining the strips and clamps etc? I will defo check out Eileen's, sound like a good resource. 

And of I do use the plastic in conjunction then I'll be sure to test. Might be worth investing thicker stuff as well by the sounds of it.

Happy modelling. 

Ps can't seem to write anything today!!