AIM-7E vs Skyflash

Parrahs

Would anyone here happen to know if there are any external differences between the Skyflash and AIM-7E? I'm trying to figure out of I could swap in Eduard's Sparrows on a Skyflash-carrying aircraft with just adjusting the colour and markings. Looking at the parts the main question mark would seem to be the nose cone length.

1 hour ago, Parrahs said:

Would anyone here happen to know if there are any external differences between the Skyflash and AIM-7E? I'm trying to figure out of I could swap in Eduard's Sparrows on a Skyflash-carrying aircraft with just adjusting the colour and markings. Looking at the parts the main question mark would seem to be the nose cone length.

It depends on the time period. First Skyflash was used only on Phantom.  The Tornado Embodied Modification Package (TEMP) missiles were used on Phantom/Tornado F2/3, main visual difference on TEMP was cut outs on the missile forebody and warhead so the missile would fit the Tornado  Frazer Nash launchers. Super TEMP was a much improved missile  used first in Gulf war 1 in 1991.

First major difference is the colour. AIM7E was always painted white, Skyflash was always Light aircraft grey.

The Skyflash forebody had four longtitudinal proximity sensor strips just behind the radome.

Early Skyflash used the same motor, warhead and wings /fins  as the Aim7E.

Later super TEMP Skyflash had a improved motor, and can be differentiated by the fin mounts at the rear, AIM7E had mounting blocks for the fins, the super TEMPS had aerodynamic blending  around the mounts, and around the rear of the side wiring ducts. The superTEMPS  had thinner wings and the wing base was painted white to differentiate.

Selwyn

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, dolphin38 said:

These might help

Sparrow

51683115400_83742fcf6f_3k.jpgSparrow by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

Skyflash

51682484213_8b4557ec51_3k.jpgSkyflash 1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

In fact this "Skyflash" missile image  is actually a hybrid for display use. The RAF did not buy training Skyflash they just repainted the Sparrow Practice rounds Gloss Light aircraft grey. The live skyflash was  matt Light aircraft grey. this picture is rear end gloss LA Grey painted sparrow, and live LA Grey (matt) forebody. The proximity sensors are missing off this  forebody. You can see the four flat plain surfaces  where they were fitted.

superTEMP Skyflash

Selwyn

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Selwyn said:

It depends on the time period. First Skyflash was used only on Phantom.  The Tornado Embodied Modification Package (TEMP) missiles were used on Phantom/Tornado F2/3, main visual difference on TEMP was cut outs on the missile forebody and warhead so the missile would fit the Tornado  Frazer Nash launchers. Super TEMP was a much improved missile  used first in Gulf war 1 in 1991.

First major difference is the colour. AIM7E was always painted white, Skyflash was always Light aircraft grey.

The Skyflash forebody had four longtitudinal proximity sensor strips just behind the radome.

Early Skyflash used the same motor, warhead and wings /fins  as the Aim7E.

Later super TEMP Skyflash had a improved motor, and can be differentiated by the fin mounts at the rear, AIM7E had mounting blocks for the fins, the super TEMPS had aerodynamic blending  around the mounts, and around the rear of the side wiring ducts. The superTEMPS  had thinner wings and the wing base was painted white to differentiate.

Selwyn

Wow 👏😮

So with the front ends there being what I'm sorta after (I'm building a Viggen, thus no Tornado-specific modifications) I fired up an image editor...

3f78psS.jpg

And it seems the nose cone hasn't changed to a meaningful degree, and the difference I have between Eduard and Kit-supplied missiles are down to the makers and not the subject. Exactly what I needed to know, thanks everyone!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Parrahs said:

So with the front ends there being what I'm sorta after (I'm building a Viggen, thus no Tornado-specific modifications) I fired up an image editor...

3f78psS.jpg

And it seems the nose cone hasn't changed to a meaningful degree, and the difference I have between Eduard and Kit-supplied missiles are down to the makers and not the subject. Exactly what I needed to know, thanks everyone!

IIRC the Swedish Skyflash were painted green and had a black radome.

Selwyn

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

IIRC the Swedish Skyflash were painted green and had a black radome.

Selwyn

Green colored weapons in Swedish service are inert or training rounds. They can also be blue. similar to other countries.  Pictures of active weapons being carried are rare out of Sweden, especially in the Cold War timeframe.

2 hours ago, Steve McArthur said:

Green colored weapons in Swedish service are inert or training rounds. They can also be blue. similar to other countries.  Pictures of active weapons being carried are rare out of Sweden, especially in the Cold War timeframe.

Yes green hazard  bands on swedish weapons indicate practice, but this was an overall green colour  (different shade of green to that used to indicate practice) to match the green camoflage on the Viggens.  I think they were repinted grey when the viggen fleet went overall grey coloured

Selwyn