Sled building time

bar side

Glue is pretty much dry so I thought I had better push the engines on in case anything needed a little persuasion.  But all good

K6FsR7f.jpg

The gaps underneath are there but not the worst I have seen.  Maybe a little P38 & smooth back

fbCHixG.jpg

The nose has a plate underneath to be smoothed back but give it a slightly bulged look.  May have to think about priming - maybe even painting - the body.  The last lower panel up to the tail tip will be loose as the wires & eventually a battery will sit in there

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

Went to fit the engine exhausts today and found the problem with having more bits for this kit than I really need - turns out I have drilled out & painted to of the left hand engine exhausts!  

dV3MGQx.jpg

So back to the box & found the right one - drill out, paint & catch back up.  Anyway I had time so they are both done & in place

uAz8enu.jpg

And the nose has had its base built up a bit.  The result looks ok sanded down, let’s see how it looks primed.  The nose has now been joined to the body and primed ready to check, refill & sand again

dtnDtDT.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

Finally happy with the finish on the body so got some paint on it today.  It’s very black…. Bit of gun metal in those wheel wells too

sIjBHZm.jpg

Ngb2IMu.jpg

Now just for @Alan P I went for a patio door rather than a window

lyNqUAD.jpg

Couple more bits done - lens covers on the nose wheel lights

UzvH0Jg.jpg

And now adding hydronic pipes to the main gear.  Wheel hubs painted, tyres still to do.  On the tooth picks ready to paint

hgOOOwr.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Last bit for today, main legs & tyres painted.  I went for grey tyres with a black ish band around them.  Most looked to have picked up dirt on the main tread area so seemed about right

IX3cxOL.jpg

Kind of hoping to get her up on her legs soon.  Then doors, seats & canopies.  Then finish the start cart and build a boarding ladder / platform

• Like 2

You are right @billn53 but the picture is deceptive.  I have just run some poster paint black lightly round the wheels, so not actually anywhere near as dark as it looks in that photo.  I might even run a damp cloth over them tomorrow & take it down even further, although the poster paint normally dries nearer dark grey than black

These are the wheels in daylight without anything to the them down, looks a bit better.  Just pushed in place at the moment but easily takes the weight

hW55MS4.jpg

And on her wheels with the canopies sat on, as yet unpainted

7oCX6AP.jpg

More than I thought I would get through before Christmas but needs to be tidied away before the relatives arrive tomorrow.  
Just time to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas!

• Like 6

Now there was a discussion on @Alan P’s thread last night about in flight refuelling receptacles.  Cause that’s what we do on Christmas Day!  The discussion revealed something I didn’t know about the Blackbird, and would not have found out from the kit instructions.  Namely that on the ground the cover over the refuelling receptacle is closed.  Now the Italeri kit doesn’t mention this receptacle having a cover and doesn’t include one in the kit. So I need to scratch one.  I have a few extra bits in my kit, including a spare upper body part with the receptacle.  So I did wonder about cutting a section out of this, or using the end of the twin seater rear seat frame

pbK1xPQ.jpg

but then I spotted the clip from the pen lids I used to give the engines depth.  Curved, almost the same width and I have two in case I mess the first one up

OZCKoEz.jpg

So a little cut and sand is needed and then I can fit it & paint it in.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 5

Shaped & sanded the refuelling receptacle cover

X0JmcZO.jpg

Now as we know the Blackbird is big, but a TR-1 holds its own for size

HqIYhDE.jpg

Now it’s not often the an F-111 is made to look small

8LMX50J.jpg

Hope the last two images work - seems to be erroring on inserting the link

Edited by bar side
  • Like 6

On 26/12/2021 at 18:20, bar side said:

Now there was a discussion on @Alan P’s thread last night about in flight refuelling receptacles.  Cause that’s what we do on Christmas Day!

Guilty as charged, Milord

On 26/12/2021 at 18:20, bar side said:

The discussion revealed something I didn’t know about the Blackbird, and would not have found out from the kit instructions.  Namely that on the ground the cover over the refuelling receptacle is closed.  Now the Italeri kit doesn’t mention this receptacle having a cover and doesn’t include one in the kit. So I need to scratch one. 

When I bought this kit years ago I asked about the kits open refuelling door and was told that with power off the door is open.  Not entirely convinced with this, I asked the collective for any information whether this was true or not.  Bless their little cotton socks we obtained the true information, that it is energised to open and closed at all other times.  I can sleep easy at nights now.  :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Retired Bob said:

Guilty as charged, Milord

When I bought this kit years ago I asked about the kits open refuelling door and was told that with power off the door is open.  Not entirely convinced with this, I asked the collective for any information whether this was true or not.  Bless their little cotton socks we obtained the true information, that it is energised to open and closed at all other times.  I can sleep easy at nights now.  :whistle:

I do wonder if they scan a museum airframe with doors open & then make the kit that way.  I am sure Airfix did that with the auxiliary air intakes on the Jaguar

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bar side said:
14 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I can sleep easy at nights now.  :whistle:

Perhaps not, new information has been posted on Alans thread.

13 hours ago, bar side said:

I do wonder if they scan a museum airframe with doors open & then make the kit that way.  I am sure Airfix did that with the auxiliary air intakes on the Jaguar

When Italeri made this kit in 1982 the SR-71 was still operational and very secret.  Pre-internet it would have been designed from photos and any other measurements they could obtain.

14 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Not entirely convinced with this, I asked the collective for any information whether this was true or not.  Bless their little cotton socks we obtained the true information, that it is energised to open and closed at all other times.  I can sleep easy at nights now.  :whistle:

Oops! The very learned Jay Chladek just updated us and it seems you could have either/or depending on the power state of the aircraft. I think you can still sleep easy with it open or closed, as long as you have the battery master switch on and ground power attached 😉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Perhaps not, new information has been posted on Alans thread.

When Italeri made this kit in 1982 the SR-71 was still operational and very secret.  Pre-internet it would have been designed from photos and any other measurements they could obtain.

True - didn’t see one until about 82 / 83 on static display at Mildenhall.  I think 84 was the first flying display. Certainly for me anyway.  I can’t remember many books at the time carrying air to air pictures so I guess research was based on photos on the ground with power off & the ifr receptacle open (not my picture!)

51206649506_5b210aa621_h.jpg

Yes Alan - saw that.  Either or it is!

• Like 1

Giving the underside lights a check & all seems ok.  Undercarriage are about there but a few bits to do before they go on

kZVx3Ac.jpg

Little jobs like putting on the engines & outer wings

q1fwWn8.jpg

The undercarriage doors are done too, so just the door close struts & bits to tidy.  But I think the engine to body joints will need a touch of green stuff & spray over.  

• Like 5

I put the engines & outer wings on, put some liquid green on the joins and sprayed them in.  All looking good.  So access steps.  This is my current scratch built single access ladder.  Bit short for the Habu

caLuO2U.jpg

A new one will need a double size platform and equally wide from legs to support it.  So I started on the platform today

GwJKATI.jpg

The plan will be to build the steps a little higher and se how it goes

The main work has been to get the legs on today.  All are done and the doors are all on

NWYXqwG.jpg

Ej4vhU1.jpg

lslEjkj.jpg

So on to canopies & seats next I guess.  At least the lights are all still going

FPF0O9v.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, billn53 said:

AIM has a set of crew access steps for the SR-71, the webpage is here:

http://www.aim72.co.uk/page214.html

Im not suggesting you buy it, but their illustrations and photos might be helpful. 

Cheers they look nice, but I am getting started on mine now.  My plasticard may be a bit chunkier, but I find brass etch hard work.

6fVcbRv.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bar side said:

Cheers they look nice, but I am getting started on mine now.  My plasticard may be a bit chunkier, but I find brass etch hard work.

I tried making their set in 1/72, but just couldn’t manage it.  Your approach is probably a better strategy.

Yes, I did a brass F-16 ladder & it’s nice but took a load of effort & frustration.  Plus I feel the Italeri Blackbird kit sits a bit high so might not be able to use it with much else

Progress on the boarding ladder today.  The first job was to get the ladder section up and supported.  So here it is with the almost done Blackbird and the basic shaped start cart

SNd71P1.jpg

Handrails are made from stretched sprue - it’s a bit fiddly but still easier than etch.  The caster wheels are by the base

3iKw2VT.jpg

And with all of the rails done & casters on.  Think that will do

1Ny78oE.jpg

Now the colour. In the 70s they would be yellow.  By the 80s green.  But looks quite good in bare aluminium.  Thoughs?

• Like 1