Sled building time

bar side

Gave the steps a quick coat of grey primer and then started on painting the canopies 

vsO8IRe.jpg

So cockpit & seats to finish off & pitot tube on the nose (always the last job or I will end up breaking it!).  More to do on the start cart as well while I wait for the Caracal decals to come in to stock

• Like 5

I think today I can call the Habu done until I get decals.  Pitot attached and front screen attached 

2uElQq6.jpg

GIuMIvG.jpg

Seats are painted

HowUMpW.jpg

And installed

lAHIhGd.jpg

A couple more

Uszi19T.jpg

GrbIDN2.jpg

So back on the start cart now while waiting for decals, then the whole lot can be put together with the shed .

Happy New Year everyone!

• Like 7

I was just thinking about next steps with this build & realised that I haven’t included a link to my shed.  You will get an idea from this link how I plan to display the Blackbird

• Thanks 1

So with the Blackbird done pending decals, steps built and shed done, that just leaves the start cart to keep me busy.  Now I have the basic shape done, but sitting on some not so great wheels.  I find wheels a tough part of any scratch build trolley.  So I use the wheels from an unbuilt Hasegawa GPU and cast from them.  Now I am no expert so this is how I do it using two part resin & Blu-tac!

So lightly oiled wheel pressed repeated into a big blob of blu-tac

INeMtPs.jpg

The two part resin I got from eBay.  It’s old but still works

FZuuiYh.jpg

Mixed 50/50 and stirred for a minute or so then poured in

Oe5fH5C.jpg

Leave them to cure and pop them out.  Downside is that the back is blank

2YME51g.jpg

Then trimmed up & sanded down.  I did 6 so that there would hopefully be 4 usable

jzZkXHm.jpg

Centres drilled out and mounted on an axel

zoY3Nw5.jpg

So they are done, painted green and next I will paint the tyres.  Until then I have marked up the panels on the start cart, and scribed in the louvres on the sides

SrN443p.jpg

So more detail to go on the start cart body, need some dials for the control panel and then it will be getting somewhere.

Still managed to get out to the seaside today.  Threatening skies but quite warm for the time of year.  Hope you had a good start to the new year

E9OQV2O.jpg

• Like 4

Cracking on with the start cart today.  Finished off the details and got it painted.  Checking the height during painting

o5PbTBE.jpg

Y4esSi4.jpg

So that leaves the tow bar to fit and the reflector strips on the edges

eoEKGPW.jpg

RXonZen.jpg

TNm8uf6.jpg

It’s not perfect but generally when in use half is hidden under the wing of the Blackbird

So with some of the other ground gear

cJIhqBt.jpg

Now the trolley is another idea I have.  My kit had a spare nose from another kit, and as these were interchangeable I have left the spare one with a glass panel in it.  Going to scratch a bit of the interior & pose it in the shed on a trolley.  Not sure if this really happened but it may well do in kit shed!

NNaIE4F.jpg

Now just need those Caracal decals…..

• Like 3

More to do on the spare nose, but I couldn’t resist a look at how things will go when I put the whole thing together.  I got a half shed (the half with the lights) and the un-decalled Blackbird and tried out a few shots

FpZJUpZ.jpg

mNlKzMK.jpg

bxl78x8.jpg

x7Go8rB.jpg

When all the bits are done I will get the full, open at both ends shed set up.  Might need a new base as this is sitting on the HAS base at the moment

• Like 8

The only things lacking now are some dry ice, a figure with curly hair to represent a mid 90’s Jeremy Clarkson and a recording of him saying “This is the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird.                                             It is the fastest jet                                                                      in        the world…”, on repeat.

Edited by March
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cheers guys, it the kind of look I want to get to when it’s all done.  With the full shed I can fit her in - as you can see that was about as far as she would go in the half shed.  Plus I can add some extra trolleys & bits behind.  And I can do a daylight shot with the back door open.  
Like the dry ice idea @March!  Maybe some faded 70s rock track playing in the background while panning around the scene….

Cheers @billn53 its getting there.
I was looking at your build @Alan P considering what tail code to do mine.  Turns out the Caracal set includes 974 Ichi Ban herself in low viz red markings.  And she was the very display jet I watched at Mildenhall in 84.  So the older kit might become the newer version of 974.

1562045-large.jpg

• Like 2

Been building a frame to hold the spare nose tonight.  Made with evergreen strip, it’s a bit saggy at the moment until it dries overnight.  it’s based loosely on one of these stands

TlFHS.jpg

This is how it looks so far

ZUQxo58.jpg

It’s just going to be hangar dressing but it seemed daft to leave a spare nose in the box

• Like 2

Some paint on the nose & frame.  I just need to add the reflective tape to the edges as per the frame in the photo above.  It seems to be sitting a lot better having had 24 hrs to dry

tY7Gyak.jpg

7Jq2F5p.jpg

MCr0rhV.jpg

Like I said I think it will add something to the shed scene

• Like 2

You know when you finish building a kit & have parts left over?  Just a few….

F6hLzAt.jpg

Pretty much two complete engine & outer wing sections, a bit of body, about 4 kit seats and I forgot to include a full second set of canopies plus two for the twin seater option.  

• Like 1

Right so a last run through of the bits for the diorama that I will use to display her.  Obviously first is the complete Blackbird minus decals

A7xSzSH.jpg

Couple of vehicles - pilot transport step van & pickup / Follow Me truck

T2mOBKx.jpg

Start cart, spare nose on Fram & trolley and covered trolley.

xNmUxgm.jpg

New access ladder and the old steps

Ieq0BXv.jpg

And a range of ground support kit

KjVt1gQ.jpg

So anything missing?  I have a fuel tanker, chocks, people & other bits, but anything else?

• Like 3

This work is outstanding. I have dreamed of doing something like this in 1/48 and with the Revell kit I can. But the Blackbird itself is only one part of the story. I love your "old school" fabrication solutions for the carts and ladders.

Cheers @JMChladek I quite enjoy researching & scratch building.  But if I find a kit at a good price I could always upgrade the start cart or the ladder in the future.  I do like what Serkan Sen is doing with his 3D printing too.  Perhaps a mix of print & scratch build & resin cast one day

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have been filling in time until Hannants get the decals in stock by watching Brian Shul talking about his time flying Blackbirds.  Great recording on YouTube

Shame his books are so expensive, but the pictures are very cool

_over_Brain-Shul.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome!

And I think that its possible build another model with the parts left!  Or, maybe a crash...

On 08/01/2022 at 11:47, bar side said:

You know when you finish building a kit & have parts left over?  Just a few….

F6hLzAt.jpg

Pretty much two complete engine & outer wing sections, a bit of body, about 4 kit seats and I forgot to include a full second set of canopies plus two for the twin seater option.