Sled building time

bar side

Test fitting the top & bottom halves went ok.  The joins are tucked underneath so should be well hidden

GWK5A6z.jpg

You do forget how big she is

B4cYFn6.jpg

And trying out a pico led on the nose wheel

uISaKAs.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Loren!  Well a brief taster for the light up look.  I quickly put the wheels together to check how she looks & sits and soldiered up the lighting wires.  You may notice the masking tape and lack of engines & outer wings

T4MCQhb.jpg

You get a better idea in this clip.  The lights are from a 9v battery that will sit inside the tail - I plan to leave the bottom tail panel only held in place with blutac

https://i.imgur.com/5lLGpgp.mp4

I think the wheels may need a little work, and much more to do before the body gets closed up

• Like 2

The cockpit detail is quite strongly moulded so I thought I would have a go at picking bits out.  Not truly detailed, but most will be lost in a pretty black ‘pit.

vjloSea.jpg

And testing it inside

rAJJpll.jpg

Now I am not keen on the dead centre in the engine exhaust, so I thought I would give it a bit of depth.  Cue marker pen lids.

q36sUpp.jpg

These are also buried deep in the gloom of the back of the engine.  That’s the vents before the end bit ahead of the exhaust petals.  Lots of technical terms!

J5CAVwF.jpg

The engines are like kits in their own rights.  Quite big

WQC08gz.jpg

• Like 2

Been thinking about the nose wheel light.  The kit has a moulded on light that would be tricky to drill out & fit the led in.  But the real Blackbird has two lights on the nose wheel.  So I thought I would move the kit light to the side & put a new light with a pre drilled hole to take the led on the front.  So I found some solid rod and drilled out the centre then sanded down to a cone on the end.

HatY2wQ.jpg

The central hole is big enough to take the pico led

hdSrja5.jpg

I will paint the centre silver & probably add a lens cover when it’s all assembled.  But it looks about right

9kEaBKl.jpg

going to have to seal up the back to avoid light leaking out.  But I can pull the led through from the body before I seal it up and then fit the wheels and the light, rather than having to put the led in and then fit the undercarriage.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

There’s a YF-12 on there for £165 atm!😮

Ouch!  I followed one the other day at £30 that sold for £39 plus post.  Over £50 all up but much better price.  I suspect the £165 one will disappear before it ends

After faffing about making up a second light for the nose wheel I actually looked at the instructions and found that the kit had one in it!  So I ditched my effort & drilled a hole through the kit light to take the pico led.  I attached the light to the leg and looked at the two tyres fitted.  Much to wide.  Too wide to fit in to the wheel well in fact.  So I have opened out the axel holes & moved the wheels closer to the leg

994nhrv.jpg

Needs some piping added & will have the wires for the led there too.  Need some scratch detail in the wheel wells too.  Not that you are likely to see in there very often

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Was at Edwards AFB for the Open House in 1997 when the NASA SR71B did a Mach 3 pass - not something you see every day of the week! Loving your build of this awesome machine

SD

Indeed!  I thought coming in hot from a transatlantic crossing to Mildenhall was good, but that is something else.  I wonder if the Blackbird was ever photographed at speed from another Blackbird?  I have read that Concorde was only photographed air to air at Mach 2 once, from a Tornado that was rapidly loosing ground on her

This is my main reference for the nose wheel at the moment

DqXIYHZXcAAJVnX.jpg

I assume that the red sections on the nose leg in some shots are museum braces over the compressible section of the leg.  Seems the leg is pretty much black or faded to dark grey as above, while the tyres are impregnated with aluminium so going black with a coat of aluminium over them.  Makes a change from an aluminium leg with black tyres

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bar side said:

Cheers Bill - much appreciated!  There is a walk around on here but these improve the references I have no end

Here's a link to photos I took of an A-12 Oxcart a couple years ago:

A-12 Oxcart

and another link to my SR-71 build log (Academy's 1/72 scale kit). This model has won a couple awards in local contests:

- Bill

On 14/11/2021 at 21:36, bar side said:

7DXOzB9.jpg

Wow, what a line-up! So depressing how things are these days, I’ve pretty much lost interest in spotting and aviation photography, there’s just not enough worth seeing. 

You know you want to build an example of everything in that line up! 🤣

2 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Wow, what a line-up! So depressing how things are these days, I’ve pretty much lost interest in spotting and aviation photography, there’s just not enough worth seeing. 

You know you want to build an example of everything in that line up! 🤣

Still like an Apache or last chance to see 1980s F-15C & D models at Lakenheath.  Let’s not forget the venerable KC-135s & MC-130s out of the Hall. And Osprey spotting.  I want to get a night shot with those rotor tip lights on.  It’s not like it was but yes, I do want to build everything in that line up!

g7oCYTr.jpg

5JO9qL0.jpg

aRC155g.jpg

eQzCz3r.jpg

• Thanks 1