Why is tamiya x2 gloss white so crap

Anth

Hi guys evert singke time i use this pait i have a nightmare with it, mixed it in various strengths the more thinners the more crap it gets, i ended up airbrushing it neat at times and ends up running if im not careful, i hate it, it is a brilliant white in colour that tge only reason i do use it,, now ive just had my fill today ,,, its like the thinest paint  ever,, if i build it up layer after layer it takes a week to cure,, this is the only tamiya paint i have trouble with,, has anyone got a better paint thats as white to replace it with, another brand i mean thanks 😭

• Confused 1

I prefer either the Tamiya LP range or Mr Color range. Both have a white that's exactly what you're after, the Mr Color range has a few different white paints that fit the bill. Thin them with Mr Color levelling thinner and they spray beautifully, dry fast and polish up fantastically well. I hate all the Tamiya X range gloss paints. They take an age to dry and remain sticky for months and fingerprint when handled.

Well, I have encounted no problems with the gloss Tamiya paints whatsoever. I usually thin them with the LP thinner, but now and then I use their acrylic thinner. With the LP thinner it dries pretty quickly (as in I can touch the painted areas at least a few minutes after spraying).

Jens

1 minute ago, Jens said:

Well, I have encounted no problems with the gloss Tamiya paints whatsoever. I usually thin them with the LP thinner, but now and then I use their acrylic thinner. With the LP thinner it dries pretty quickly (as in I can touch the painted areas at least a few minutes after spraying).

Jens

Are you using the acrylic paint 'x' series or the 'LP' lacquer paint series? It's the acrylics that I always have problems with, but I've never thinned them with lacquer thinner, only the Tamiya acrylic thinner. 

Yes, Steve. The LP thinner is my go-to thinner for all my Tamiya paints (X, XF, LP and AS decanted). I have even had success mixing X-2 with AS-12 and thinned the lot with LP thinner.
Try the LP thinner and spray on the white in nice thin coats. X-2 is my preferred white - even on top of a black base. 

Jens

1 minute ago, Jens said:

Yes, Steve. The LP thinner is my go-to thinner for all my Tamiya paints (X, XF, LP and AS decanted). I have even had success mixing X-2 with AS-12 and thinned the lot with LP thinner.
Try the LP thinner and spray on the white in nice thin coats. X-2 is my preferred white - even on top of a black base. 

Jens

I must try this method myself, thank you Jens!!

• Like 1

I use Tamiya paints almost exclusively. The only exceptions are metallics and a few Xtracrylic for those colours that I am unable to get in Tamiya (or cannot find a match to using one of the available conversion charts or online conversion tools).

I've had issues in the past with the white (X-2/XF-2 crazing, but that was down to the primer coat and not the paint layer. Nowadays, I use Ultimate Modelling products primer which is re-badged Badger Stynylrez primer. Sprayed on in nice thin layers, touch dry in about 5-10 minutes, and left for at least 12 hours to cure. Then Tamiya white (either gloss or matt) again in nice thin layers. Not had a single problem since doing it this way. And I use a 1:1 ratio for thinning. But.... I always use the Tamiya X20a thinner. I cannot use any lacquer paints or thinners due to being asthmatic. I can just about cope with these "acrylic" paints, but nothing stronger.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...