Tamiya 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero

Two months seems to be my typical build duration even with the little 'uns! Here we are with Tamiya's little Zero, built completely OOB with the assistance of Eduard masks for the canopy and a wee bit of Uschi thread. An exquisitely engineered kit, the fit is just beautiful, in fact I reckon you'd have to try pretty hard to mess this one up. The scheme I chose represents an airframe that took part in (and in fact crashed during) the attack on Pearl harbor on 7th December 1941. I didn't get too involved in the issue of colour it might have been painted (one of those cans of worms innit), I just used Humbrol's 168 Hemp and it does the job quite adequately.

I'm indebted to Mark @2996 Victor who helped me out with a couple of parts I clumsily broke/lost, and without which I wouldn't have been able to complete the build!

Before we get to the pics I'm going to throw in a shameless grovel spirited appeal for votes for my "In the Wrong Hands" group build proposal, which is currently fighting tooth and nail for survival in the closing stages of the Bunfight! Even if you have interest in the GBs whatsoever, if you could take 30 seconds to throw it a vote I'd be hugely grateful. Cheers,

Anyway, that Zeke:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The sharp-eyed will note that the relative placement of the hinomaru on the underwings is slightly off. If it had been on the topside there would have been some swearing and corrective action, but tucked under there as they are I decided to live with it.

spacer.png

...and finally, paired up with its Pearl Harbor adversary:

spacer.png

Thanks for looking - and don't forget to vote! 😂

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 41
  • Haha 1

• TonyOD changed the title to Tamiya 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero
17 hours ago, opus999 said:

This is a gorgeous build, and I had a great time following along.  That P-40 looks really sharp too!  This Zero sets the bar for me for whenever I get around to doing my Tamiya A6M3.

That's incredibly kind of you to say, though I'm quite bemused by the idea of one of my builds being any kind of benchmark!

16 hours ago, Remus389 said:

The precise modelling and the wise choice of color (these were usually green), makes this model outstanding. 👍

Trust me, the precision was there before the parts even left the sprues! Tamiya engineering really is something else. I believe that for years Airfix suggested Humbrol 90 (Sky) for Zeros, which would look decidedly odd to my eyes! 168 (Hemp) carries the Nick Millman Seal of Approval, so it'll do for me.

15 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

As does the P-40, of course, and they make an excellent pairing.

You might remember that I did the Airfix P-40 for the Less Than A Tenner GB a few months back, it's a complete accident that I ended up with a brace of Pearl Harbor birds, but they do pair up nicely.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

You might remember that I did the Airfix P-40 for the Less Than A Tenner GB a few months back, it's a complete accident that I ended up with a brace of Pearl Harbor birds, but they do pair up nicely.

Yes, I did remember! And I was mightily impressed with it, too. A great pairing.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1