Fujimi Isuzu Piazza

galaxyg

I'd taken a whole 6 week break from modelling after the somewhat exhausting McLaren Senna. Also work, DIY and a holiday occupied that time.  Anyway it's time for another build and I fancied this car now I've decided on a colour, Tamiya TS-58. I do like 80s Wedge shaped Japanese cars, and here's another and not just wedge but Italian styled wedge. The kit is from Fujimi's "lazy crap" era and (amongst other things) does not include door cards - at all!   I've sourced some from a R31 Skyline that might fit.   I've also sourced a front lip as it makes the car look a lot better. It's from a S12 Silvia kit and is the white item in one of the photos.  Fujimi put this kit back into production a few years ago on the back of some comic book. Prior to that it was hard to find.

spacer.png

spacer.png

These are the wheels I'll be using, the stock ones on the left are quite horrible.  I'll have to add brake discs, none are in the kit.

spacer.png

Panel lines need a lot of rescribing, they're very soft. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

I've always had a soft spot for the Piazza, so I really must thank you for the warning about Fujimi's 'lazy crap' era - that's something I will watch out for. While this wasn't on my immediate buy list, there was a danger I could have been sucked into it a few years down the line.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with this. Got to admit though that I do quite like the stock wheels!

• Like 1

You'd think this front lip was designed for this car, it fits so well. I only needed to shave off a small triangle of plastic on either side to accommodate the sloping under-front of the Piazza.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Meanwhile.. the front seats. They have these two big notches out of them that must be to avoid fouling the AA battery cage, should you choose to build it as a motorised version.

spacer.png

Ugly but will sand. The filler.

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I always liked the design but only ever saw one on the road!

I used to see one regularly when I did my paper round back in the early 1990s.  I must have seen some since but that's the one I remember.

• Like 2

I used to work with someone who had the turbo with the live axel which caught him out on a wet bend.  Lots of power which would kick you when least expecting.

Compared to my nasty Citroen, it was very cool.

• Like 2

The suspension and chassis is so simple even at this stage it's possible to mock it up with the help of bit of blu-tack.   As usual with many kits of this era, I find the axles are about 4mm too short. Looks fine from this angle, 'cause you can't see the other end.

I'll paint the underbody the same as the upper body - it's a JDM build and it can therefore be un-weather protected. Later someone can import it to the UK where it'll rust to bits almost as fast as a Lancia Beta.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

I'd been wanting to try this Tamiya colour for a long time, although images of it in use online always made it looks somewhat lilac to me. Anyhow, it looks good in real life.

spacer.png

Inevitably I only notice some flaws in the bodywork that need correcting after I've painted the bodywork. There's a scratch in the roof I've filled here and some other smaller things around the body too.

spacer.png

• Like 5

That's so frustrating, finding a flaw only once you've got the final colour on.  The rest of the finish looks really good too.

TS58 is a favourite colour of mine, I've used it on one build and I've got plans to use it on a few more.

At least I'd only gone over it in colour a couple of times, no clear or anything. I've touched up that area now and it's all good. Just need to leave it a few days to cure before I clearcoat it.

• Like 3

The painted chassis plate. Most "detail" is moulded in.

spacer.png

This photo is so harsh on the black and silver painting. It looks better in real life, and will get weathered later anyhow.

spacer.png

The beginnings of the interior painting. The two symmetrical block go either side of the steering wheel and look both very unusual and very 1980s at the same time.

spacer.png

The seats filled in nicely and are painted in Tamiya AS-25.  I may well do them two-tone. Everything's going to be some shade of blue anyway.

spacer.png

Not obvious to see in the photo but the interior floor is painted in Mazda Reflex Blue Metallic, which does a reasonable job of looking like fluffy80s blue carpet.  There's no interior tub for this one. The chassis plate and the floor plate are one and the same. Fortunately much of it is covered by the seats and I'll also be making some carpets for it as well.

spacer.png

• Like 6

The entire set of images below are the masking, spraying and unmasking of the bodywork in order to create the black bumpers, B-pillars, sills and Scuttle panel / front window surround. The rear window surround I'll paint later. As it is, the masking tape actually pulled off a bit of the plastic rear window surround (last pic), annoying.

Usually despite a ton of masking the spray finds it's way into somewhere not wanted, but this time, no overspray. Hurrah.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by galaxyg
typo
  • Like 7

Very neatly applied. I have seen several videos where people only use the barest of tape when applying this type of detail,  but like yourself I've never been brave enough to try it and always mask the whole thing.  Its obviously a shame what happened to the rear surround,  the only positive I can think of is at least you won't need to retouch the flawless bodywork - Andy 

• Like 1

I've got the rear lights in now. The number-plate shaped hole is not for a number plate at all, but a bit of shiny black glass, later to have an Isuzu logo on it. Number plate sits a lot lower.

spacer.png

I've done the window surrounds with a marker, since they're pretty thin and none at the front. Not there's no driver side window at all, which is handy for one thing, shown next photo.

spacer.png

spacer.png

A very 1980s dashboard. Especially either side of the steering wheel.

spacer.png

Hacking the Skyline door panels around a bit and they'll fit OK enough.

spacer.png

A more completed version of the interior. The seat mounting points are unusually sturdy, I don't expect they'll come off. Gearstick's not added yet.

spacer.png

• Like 5

The Piazza build nears it's conclusion now - it's all come together quite quickly.  Just small details left - wipers, rubbing strips, mirrors, exhaust tip, decals and painting the side repeaters orange.

spacer.png

The rubbing strips will be made from electrical tape.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Decals floating in water.

spacer.png

The last step in the process, and the last image in this WIP. Completed photos to follow after I have time for them.

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Toftdale said:

Great idea for the rubbing strips, do you cut them to size before applying or trim them on the model?  - Andy 

I cut over the length by a little, I find it gives a unused piece to use as a handle either end when repositioning to get straight. A new sharp blade pressed at 90 degrees to the tape afterwards will cut thought it like a "pop" without harming the paintwork beneath.

• Thanks 1