• 10 - Zvezda 1/72 C-130H Hercules
    • 11 - AZModel 1/72 Super Mystere B.2
    • 12 - Revell 1/72 A-1E Skyraider
    • 13 - Monogram 1/48 AD-6 Skyraider
    • 14 - Hasegawa 1/48 P-38L Lightning
    • 15 - Condor 1/72 MiG-25P Foxbat
    • 16 - UniModel 1/72 Assault Howitzer BT-42

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/11/21 at 10:00

Oh I'm also working on a fourth (or is it fifth?) KUTA build elsewhere - a Special Hobby Sea Otter Mk.I that I started last summer. I already had a build thread for it so I continued it there instead. You can follow it here:

I just put some paint and decals on it :) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, arfa1983 said:

Wow this is looking good. Are we going to be able to see any of this when fuselage comes together? 

I'm planning to leave the cabin door and back ramp open so... maybe a little bit? :D

• Like 2

Testing paints - I opted to go for the ROK Air Force machine with the beautiful grey and two greens camo.

y4m9kmzVhs1vER7aPZMdNj91bdknwpQI1fgboji9

Here's what I came up with.

This is my subject:

y4mrQy60vjD55hTb4qnDC--vqtxo1z0cWKPSv655

Not my photo, image taken from here: https://www.airliners.net/photo/South-Korea-Air-Force/Lockheed-C-130H-Hercules-L-382/1288811/L?qsp=eJwtjUsKwkAQRO/Sa10E8ZddvIAuvEDTU8SBMTN0d8AQcnfHwV3x6lG1kuTJ8fHnUkA9GVjlRTsqrPw26ldSjNFc2WOeBvGZU/Wux313vlTPsvptqSSwYxBBcYQ/v2uA/iqYtMmxXnQ1QB8t0%2BFUeYhWErcNOMdE2/YFLEEx0w%3D%3D

Dark green is bit darker but I can lay it down thin to make it less stark. I think the tone is quite good. My choice of light green might be a tad too yellow maybe?  Grey looks pretty good.

What do you think, am I on the right track with the colours?

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I think your light green might be a bit too "golden", isn't it more like a light olive green?

Yeah, you are probably right. I will check my paint selection if I have any suitable. And if not, I'll check my local hobby shop :D I'd rather have a ready paint than mix my own for such a large project.

• Like 1

Not an official KUTA build, but it's there in the spirit of things - my unfinished Sea Otter from last summer is finally finished:

y4mPiJPeedDSSDzJzX51W5WczQAINy1XECWICSqR

RFI:

WIP:

--------------------------

The work on C-130 continues.

y4mupPgfVw_k6IDOWwTlDQJ6zqIejSBTgQZBg_IU

Fuselage and wings.

y4mo8UkNbnvRvqooMaARd8SIxdAVvZfdRgc1FMUm

Dryfitting the wings. This is starting to become so unwieldy build that I think I have to atleast start the painting project without the wings glued on.

• Like 5

y4mbmbkO65E2aqfZm4zR9tcRKIXWHeeb50YPZDmT

Just to give some perspective - C-130 is slightly larger than the things I normally build :D Granted, Gnat is slightly smaller than the things I normally build too... :D

y4mCzqipwwlaI5Wmhsi9a_5gaKYsRE4KDUC-v3CB

It's the boring stuff now. Little bit of putty here and there to make extra nice seams. It seems quite a lot but most of that will be sanded off just to cover few blemishes along the seam line.

y4meazi5_JvbxJe-mL4qNNLNvMPH_orJklMdQ1Ap

Cleaning parts up. Again, not much to clean up but there are lots of stuff so it takes a bit of time. Here's most of the engine parts, apart from the cowlings itself. And some other extra bits.

y4meBYOtInhSEpj4-9iJ_xIM8vpIaJB3kt78okmz

Wheeeels! Big and chunky. Tiny bit of filler on couple of them to make them nice and smooth.

Cleaning part is mostly done but there are still quite a bit of assembly done before the actual painting can happen. But I think engine assembly requires some painting beforehand, just to make things bit easier.

• Like 6

On 28/01/2022 at 08:35, JeroenS said:

Ha! That picture of the Gnat really does add perspective!

I love putting Gnat next to other planes, it makes everything else look huuuge! :D I mean even WW2 fighters...

-------------------------------------

y4m9Oor7eQZwt3FIM7fIqfhTr8llb5Nl4AF21T-G

Engine parts had a coat of metal, mostly the bits that go inside.

y4mqFGKXX4eGOvmTlJYx9jeYNC-OemYd-3ro09am

Here's the bits ready for assembly. And oh boy. There is nothing wrong with how Zvezda has made these engines - and every even half experienced modeller would have had no trouble at all with the build. They would have paid attention to the instruction manual for the parts numbers for example.

But it seems I'm not that smart. I just took a quick look and decided that the nacelles are all the same. Now some of you might have already noticed that there are two different kinds of nacelle halfs (and their counterparts), difference is in the top corner where they sit into the wing. Now I know that there isn't too many combinations that you can actually make with these parts but I glued these engines FOUR TIMES, thinking I have done it right this time. I hadn't, I cracked open the seams, glued them again. Done. NOT. WRONG. _Four times_. Uhh. I couldn't even be mad at the kit as it was 100% user error. Boy, I haven't felt that stupid since... well.. for days :D

y4mRUVkTjARprA69y4AKLke3sjWBxv5bX0gtQPLL

But I think I finally got them right. And I think I got them cleaned out decent so my harsh modelling methods don't show too much.

y4mV-BkfCSyO5r5pNwD9C5gZ5B69FKmm6dasP75r

It all works out to be quite impressive looking wing.

y4m5PJC5amRI7dSpI25uO05s1Yp4GxRuvfEkNA32

Fuselage seam tidied up and rescribed the lost details.

y4m_LMSFHmFuJDoSV40lTrLTjdLJL_7ju5TEq0F5

Noseweight added! It needed 25g so I had to slip some to the nose wheel well too. I have to get some heavier weights...

y4m7E3ruzpdgB2WpzoODjUgBCWl2x_hxvwVW2xna

These guys are happy that their plane is secured, not gonna be a tail sitter. After checking out the reference photo the tanks inside the cockpit were bright and yellow and not black as suggested in the instructions. So I had to pry open the windows and repaint them. I'm usually not too worried about small details such as that but those things are in quite visible place and I thought it would be nice little touch of colour anyways. And now I can sleep at night knowing it's corrected.

• Like 5

y4mSj2CS9-JAUQXCu2msRlYVmRqOlsb4dNOJWD9a

It's a big hunk of junk! :)

y4mCfYv81ItTNGG70r89kjIsaISVruQ7MV9fJIHR

I rarely buy ready made canopy masks but I made an exception this time. Due to the shape of the windows it would have been quite easy to cut them out - but there's quite many windows so I guess I just wanted an easy way out... :P

y4m7vGwr3bK2d4n_KZOKgwCHycf1kDrsE2JumzC6

y4mEStlqntmZfmcqUdGe9I89sJ9ETAxNYw-sPRxU

Gray basecolour done and I've post-shaded it with darker grey and patches of light grey here and there. I added another opaque layer of the base colour after this to bring it all together.

y4m6aQ3G8Nc9ZCWNdA8TFCVnbbrtfNVy9LiFhLc6

Grey done and masked over. A lot of work I wouldn't have needed to done as the amount of grey on the upper side is quite little but I guess I got little carried away... :P And I guess with light enough layers the shading will add some slight variation to the greens too.

y4mv6bsoon5iFFEx7G9tRUba6HdktZt1K06c-y5s

I know! It looks extra bright! But it's bit out of context as the amount of the lighter green is not that much in the final product plus my camera settings were bit wonky. I changed the colour as @JeroenS suggested, but in reality it really is not THAT bright and and... it will be toned down with the weathering and what else? I dunno, I just hope it all works out in the end! :D  I went with pretty heavy shading with this build as it seems, I guess it's fun to try out different things. I just hope it doesn't look too cartoony in the end but hey, I guess there's nothing wrong with that either. Same recipe as with the grey - base colour, shading with darker green and patches of lighter green here and there. Final layer of base colour again to bring it all together.

I'm kinda curious how it all looks in the end as now it looks like ... maybe bit too much. But I'm pretty confident that weathering will make it all work out.

y4mukzdVsk5N2Hg63jpSO8keUzIhhDjrFxNds_cW

Props I painted black first and then masked the silver bit in the middle. This is not mentioned in the instructions BTW, they are just all black, but looking at the photos the middle part is dull silver.

y4mPWj2ehD1dh3_-HXzwMOlemT0CSEm7KBEFh0ft

I'm glad they are not all black as they look kinda snazzy this way :)

• Like 6

Nice work Reini, especially those props! 

I think the whole thing will probably work out in the end, some weathering and varnish will tone it down. 

• Like 1

y4mjQu4SCLiVtAPaIgRGCFfCK6NojovT_ud9o4KN

Dark green is done, ready to take out the masking tape....

I bet you wanna see the tape coming off?

-

-

Well, here it is:

y4mvj7twpKcdHw36EzZx2FdMiRkc8zW8iPdbj3RZ

Looks pretty nice, eh? :D

-

-

-

Just kidding, here it is :P

y4m6602u8OuFcjWZd6hN38ChY87X_RXKPEi-w4Jc

y4mI4wga-ssIB7_nWPx-e2VOk3Eouj6SPaiQ7oYv

It looks VERY vivid under the desktop light I mind you. I mean it's a bit on the bright side but it's not THAT vivid. I'll try to take a pic under natural light tomorrow to see if I can get bit more realistic photo out of it. But the colours aside, the masking job was succesful I only need to do couple little touch ups. Now I will let it dry for a day or two and mask couple smaller metallic areas to finish the paintjob.

• Like 7

y4mviUujFIITR55hlszbRXjZ5UaRUhTGkE5UmnPm

y4m7VvZkowvQHAee4PTc-8P4T91KUdEXC3GtM4en

y4mWr8PqlhlJmaMdMa9RowRZjoASq5ePMheLe_38

It seems impossible to catch the real colours on photo - these still show the greens brighter than they are. Oh well, we will see once I take the final photos how they turn up and if I can get a decent photo out of it. But for now, I lightly sanded the surface and added some paint patches on some of the more used areas that might have been repainted. Looks a bit messy still but makes more sense after additional weathering and panel line washes.

y4mgRH6o8DkmB8uh4SgIgar2ySLZoawlmn703YS6

We are ready for decals!

y4mp3JdaO8xkEH2NlyEkAIHKHPpV_yPmrCJdTo3w

And quite big decals they are :o First ones I did in the tail I cut out the film in the middle, just leaving the black lines but they were near impossible to align neatly and not to break into million pieces. Much nicer to put down with the big carrier film but quite easy to trap air bubbles under it. Decals themselves work ok, I don't have bad thing to say about them but next time I will paint line decals such as this, no question about it.

y4mABdu-1J4IuqFbD5VgrARwf0-fZvCRFuybhe0W

I'm also working on yet another KUTA build which will probably finish before the C-130 - the Italeri 1/72 Carrier Deck Section. I've done the main paintjob and decals, once dried there will be plenty of weathering to be done.

• Like 7