Grumman F-14B 'Bombcat'

Pappy

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

I actually ended up nabbing another Hasegawa kit recently.  1/48 F-14 for $35?  Sign me up.  Yeah it may not be up to modern Tamiya standards, but at a 1/3 to 1/4 the cost I'm plenty ok with that.  It certainly looks to build up nice enough with a bit of patience.

G'day Chris,

100% agree. Add to that the fact that you have the option of swept fwd wings with flaps and slats deployed included. Apart from fit, the next issue will be a lack of weapons but given the propensity for many builders of the Tammy kit to reach for AM weapons anyway this may not be as big a deal as the $$$$ saved could now go towards that and you would still be ahead.

1. The best advice I could give for building the Has kit would be to avoid the kit assembly sequence fort the fuselage. Add the upper and lower beaver tail parts to their respective fuselage half first. 
  2. Add some plastic strip to the intake trunks to help align them better and avoid a step
  3. Cut down the actuators for the intake ramps unless you are depicting the kit in-flight with the wings pinned back
  4. The u/c bays are fiddly but do fit . They are not well detailed but resin here will mean lots of sanding to get them to fit the kit. If I build another Has kit I would avoid it as I don't think the taste is worth the chew
  5. Cockpit detail is okay but the sidewalls are bare. I think PE looks too flat for the side panels but is okay for the instrument and quarter panels. The kit side panels are too long to fit as per the instructions, it seems as if Has forgot to account for the thickness of the quarter panels. 
  6. Finally, the fwd fuselage join. This is the biggie and there is no avoiding it. Test fitting and adjustment will get you so far but at some point you are gunna need filler. It is a crap sandwich, put on a bib and start chewing!!!

At the end of all that you will have a good looking F-14, you may even enjoy the build!

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 7:39 AM, Pappy said:

given the propensity for many builders of the Tammy kit to reach for AM weapons anyway this may not be as big a deal as the $$$$ saved could now go towards that and you would still be ahead.

and Uncle Rich!!!!  :D

I hope we get to see the finish product, what you've done so far is amazing!

I have a Hasegawa D model hiding somewhere, and surprisingly it has filler in all the same spots are yours. Mine was one of their early releases of it, with no Bobcat extras so I added the Avionix Update set for it. I do plan to finish it one day........... :think:

Well, as luck would have it, I have been noodling away on this kit in between other builds

DSCN8622.JPG

DSCN8518.JPG

I have also settled on a scheme

DSCN8624.JPG

The TARPS pod will not be used, I just wanted to build it for fun.

Do the 1/48 Tamiya F-14 kits include a TARPS pod and if so, does the decal sheet include the stencils for it? - asking for a friend!

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 4

G'day Alex,

The Has kit certainly isn't a shake'n'bake!

That TARPS interior looks pretty cool.

Thanks very much for the quick reply, that is awesome,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Damn, that TARPs almost makes me want a Tamiya D.  But I think I already have 4 TARPs pods about anyways, 3 AMK and 1 Hasegawa.  I do still need a kit for an A+ conversion though at some point....:hmmm:   :bangin:

• Haha 2