Grumman F-14B 'Bombcat'

Pappy

2 hours ago, Col. said:

The strange situation here in the UK at the moment means it can be cheaper buying items posted from Australia than from Europe! :blink:

God's own to the rescue again!!!  :D

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, 2lefthands said:

Did you use the Blackbox Resin Cockpit for this build?

Maybe?

G'day 2LH, I bought this kit over 10 years ago 2nd hand (unstarted) and the resin cockpit set was included. To make it fit into the box the original owner had taken the cockpit parts out of the packaging and placed the items into a couple of resealable plastic bags I didn't have any instructions but this was not a huge problem as it seemed pretty obvious where all the bits went.. Given the time frame, you may be correct,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

3 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

This is good work Pappy, and as a bonus , I finally know what BOL stands for ! 

Bruce 

Cheers Bruce, It took me ages to find out as well!

Pappy

G'day people,

Still fiddling with the u/c.

DSCN8234.JPG

NLG getting close

DSCN8236.JPG

DSCN8235.JPG

Meanwhile, I was progressing the weapons pallets. I was wondering how to represent the BRU-32 racks that stick out of the ADU-703 missile pallets that live between the engines. I had seen resin BRUs available but while rummaging through the kit contents I found that there was a set of white metal BRU-32s. I think these were included by Hasegawa but in a different boxing. I think the kit's previous owner must have added them to the box of goodies. The best part is that the white metal items only feature the externally visible bit so I don't need to chop out the panels  and build a recess for them to sit in - score!

DSCN8232.JPG

DSCN8231.JPG

I couldn't resist a cheeky dry-fit

DSCN8233.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 7

This is a super reference build, I've never seen the Hasegawa kit broken down and  fixed up in such detail on here before. 

Despite the Tamiya wonder kit, there's still life for the old dog yet!

On 11/20/2021 at 11:50 PM, Col. said:

Having built several of them when they first appeared (a few for a friend and one to myself including the Verlinden detail set) without any memorable major issues it seemed people were decrying it needlessly so prior to this GB kicking off I went looking for a Hase 48th scale Tomcat thinking the new 'Twin Star' wonder-kit would be pushing second-hand prices down but alas it wasn't the case. In fact most were going for not much less than the Tamiya kit :o 

I remember our discussions about this.  :lol:  I was looking too.  I'm still going to "need" a couple more As at least.....  But I don't need one now so I can wait for the right deal.

Beautiful work Pappy...you are making me regret pulling out of this GB (I had a Hase slated for the build, though only in 72nd).

12 hours ago, Alan P said:

This is a super reference build, I've never seen the Hasegawa kit broken down and  fixed up in such detail on here before. 

Despite the Tamiya wonder kit, there's still life for the old dog yet!

Yup still a viable kit but you will need to work

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice racks too :innocent:

Oh matron, do behave!

53 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I remember our discussions about this.  :lol:  I was looking too.  I'm still going to "need" a couple more As at least.....  But I don't need one now so I can wait for the right deal.

Beautiful work Pappy...you are making me regret pulling out of this GB (I had a Hase slated for the build, though only in 72nd).

Yeah I was iffy too but as I said if I didn,t build my Has kit now then when would I?

I have another Has  F-14A kit in the stash which I may sell to help fund my purchase of a Tammy 'wunderkit' but I am starting to think mebbe not as I am perversley enjoying the build process. Having already bought the kit (also quite cheaply!) I have also bought AM for it as well. Some of the stuff like wheels,  pitot probes and decals should still be useable  on the Tam kit although as Tricky Rich discovered, sometimes the decals sized for Has don't match the Tam kit. I am not sure if I will make the deadline as I started my run a little late but I will give it a red hot go!

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pappy said:

Yeah I was iffy too but as I said if I didn,t build my Has kit now then when would I.

If I wasn't tied up at work so much right now and still have so far to go on the F-4 I'd still be in.  We'll see, I do have a week off work next week and if I can make enough headway on current projects I'll re-evaluate.  But I'll need to be pretty much complete w/ the Draken and getting close to paint on the F-4.....and my slow building pace isn't going to be doing me any favors.  :whistle:

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 8:01 AM, helios16v said:

If I wasn't tied up at work so much right now and still have so far to go on the F-4 I'd still be in.  We'll see, I do have a week off work next week and if I can make enough headway on current projects I'll re-evaluate.  But I'll need to be pretty much complete w/ the Draken and getting close to paint on the F-4.....and my slow building pace isn't going to be doing me any favors.  :whistle:

Building a 'Turkey' is a big job regardless of the kit manufacturer and it seems like you already have enough on your plate. I am banking on the Chrissy hols to get some extra bench time to make the deadline otherwise I think I have no chance. Shift work has been helpful as it means I can get stuff done before work but moving back to dayshift means the pace will slow down again, such are the vagaries of a rotating shift pattern,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

It appears by complete accident I'm getting a B-Tomcat for Christmas 😂 thanks for not influencing that in any way @Pappy 😉

Mmmmm, Turkey for Christmas!

No need to thank me though as I didn't do anything :)

• Like 1

G'day people,

I spent today working on the stores.

DSCN8238.JPG

This time I painted up the GBU-31s

DSCN8239.JPG

I was very happy with the way the mods turned out and also the representation of the 'gator skin' fire retardant finish. I think I still need some missiles, a defensive AIM-9L at least, potentially an AIM-7 as well?

Meanwhile I have started to modify the flaps. As moulded, their chord is too wide. Using the Dave Aungst article and reference pics, I have cut off a section from the flap at the top, the lower one is original,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice work on the weaponry and I'm looking forward to seeing your flaps; now there's a chat-up line! :innocent:

Oops, it looks like I forgot to attach the pic!

G'day people,

As previously mentioned I have reduced the chord of the wing flaps but this left me with a small problem - there were two small voids in what would become the new leading edge. I needed to fill these as they would create divots when the leading edges were sanded to profile. I decided to use a couple of small off-cuts from resin pour stubs. These were CA'd into place

DSCN8240.JPG

Once set, the flap leading edge was sanded to a new aerofoil profile

DSCN8241.JPG

DSCN8242.JPG

The wing parts have now been tidied up so it was time for another dry-fit

DSCN8243.JPG

She's a big 'un. I don't know where I will put this when it is done. People who build multiples of these must have big homes!

Here are some comparison shots with a 1/48 P-51

DSCN8245.JPG

DSCN8244.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thom216 said:

Interesting load-out in that last picture! A Mistel-Cat!

G'day Thom, not many people know about that programme, it was going well until they tried to launch one off a catapult, it did not end well!

42 minutes ago, Calum said:

Lovely work so far Pappy. 

Cheers Calum,

Pappy

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, arfa1983 said:

Somewhat unrelated,  but why do Mustangs always look better in RAF markings and spitfires look better in USAAF markings? 

Or is it just me?

It's not just you 👍

tn_1 DSCN1733

• Like 3