Yak-9

rhagger

Noting that Massimo contributes to this forum, I'd be interested in thoughts regarding the interpretation that this Yak-9 had an upper uniform grey finish.  I have not been able to find any photos despite trawling the internet which may confirm this. Thanks for any replies. Rod

YAK9k-w86-kiselev.jpg

The pictures not showing up, but I think this is the airframe you are referring too. It seems clear from the photo that it's a two tone camo so I don't see why it wouldn't be AMT11 & AMT-12 as per the profile.

Pict26.jpg

Pict27.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Tbolt, as Ed has said,I think it is supposed to represent different aircraft.I  hope these links work- the first to a Modeling the VVS site, the second showing the artwork on a Print Scale decal sheet. I've been looking for a subject with 'Kremlin' star in Germany in 1945.

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Markings/BigGuns/big_guns_1.php

https://www.ultracast.ca/product-p/print48095.htm

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, rhagger said:

Thanks Tbolt, as Ed has said,I think it is supposed to represent different aircraft.I  hope these links work- the first to a Modeling the VVS site, the second showing the artwork on a Print Scale decal sheet. I've been looking for a subject with 'Kremlin' star in Germany in 1945.

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Markings/BigGuns/big_guns_1.php

https://www.ultracast.ca/product-p/print48095.htm

Sorry when you mentioned Massimo  I thought maybe you were referring to the white 86 on his site. I can't help with photo's as I've looked through my books and that's the only Yak-9K white 86 I can find pictures of.

Thanks for checking your books Tbolt. You're right,my initial post wasn't  clear which '86' I was referring to.

My reference to Massimo was was mainly made to hopefully hear his thoughts.

Interesting re the RAF example Modelldoc.

• Like 1

Considering who was behind that Hobbyvista profile I would have major doubts without seeing a photo. Mr Pilawskii is not considered to be very accurate on many occasions with his writings...Printscale just copied from the webpage which is usually the limit of their research.

Edited by Hornet133
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Hornet133 said:

Printscale just copied from the webpage which is usually the limit of their research.

I hate to say it, but that's been my conclusion too. Some of their earlier sheets (the 1/72 La-5, for example) seemed to come straight from Wings Palette, even to the point of reproducing the WP artwork (which itself is just taken directly from other sources!) in their instructions. That said, however, I do like their decals; except for the very first ones, they apply well and have good print quality. You just need to do your own research to confirm their accuracy!

John

• Like 6

2 hours ago, John Thompson said:

I hate to say it, but that's been my conclusion too. Some of their earlier sheets (the 1/72 La-5, for example) seemed to come straight from Wings Palette, even to the point of reproducing the WP artwork (which itself is just taken directly from other sources!) in their instructions. That said, however, I do like their decals; except for the very first ones, they apply well and have good print quality. You just need to do your own research to confirm their accuracy!

John

That goes for quite a few decal manufactures. I recently used an Xtradecal sheet which I had to do some hand painting on to make it accurate because they appeared to have copied an inaccurate profile from a Warpaint book, it took me 30 seconds on Google to get the pictures of what it should have been like. It's disappointed when people can't be bothered to even do a quick bit of research.

• Like 4