A Stalled 'Streak - Monogram 1/48 Republic F-84F Thunderstreak

Ghostbase

This is my first subject for KUTA 2021 (the only Group Build I ever finish!) the 1/48th scale Monogram F-84F Thunderstreak which I started for the Less Than a Tenner GB. My plan was to build her OOB in S.E. Asia camouflage scheme however I don't have my airbrush with me so she will now be painted in aluminium and finished using a spare set of decals from a HobbyBoss kit, least that is the plan. Next job: filler on the wing joins and tailplanes. Michael.

51427854524_ab3b8c5ded_o.jpgStreakOne by Ghostbase, on Flickr

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Two plus months later...

I had done some work since; applied filler to the wing roots, tailplane/fin joins and on the nose forward of the cockpit. Then broke off one of the tailplanes! Today have applied a coat of Humbrol 11 silver from an aerosol spray can with a view of a quick finish.

51860504189_c454acde0d_o.jpg20220203_133337 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

There is clearly some work to be done on the fuel tanks and bombs.

51859215682_6448ca9bbd_o.jpg20220203_133540 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I do have a couple of the HobbyBoss Thunderstreak kits in the stash, their decal sheet is quite showy and I might use one of these options instead of the Monogram sheet. Maybe.

51860251198_574a4b795e_o.jpg20220203_133936 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Michael

• Like 5

Definitely got the mojo back on this build and hope to have it finished by end Tuesday. I have decided to display the 'Streak with all four fuel tanks so I have sanded them, applied primer, then sprayed them with Humbrol 11. They don't look too bad however the joins show in the photo below, not sure whether to go back an work more on them or just accept this will be a space filler on the display shelf.

51862687225_71f2ed9002_o.jpgF-84FFuel by Ghostbase, on Flickr

A while back I posted a question on BM asking about the Mk.7 'Special Weapon' which was carried by the F-84F whilst in Europe. There were two issues of the Monogram kit, the first had the Mk.7 plus special pylon, and the second - the one I am building - instead has two free-fall conventional bombs, which is a shame. This kit does come with a bomb lift trailer (or "bomb cart") which is a nice touch and I have put it together minus the wheels. The kit instructions give overall red as the colour however I note that the cart on display next to the F-84F in the USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson is painted olive green.

51862112983_db0857772f_o.jpgF-84FTrolley by Ghostbase, on Flickr

This photo also shows the free-fall bomb, would it be an M117 750lb bomb?

Looks like time to start adding some decals.

Michael

• Like 6

Continued progress on this build, after applying the aluminium paint I retouched several areas of olive green where there had been a little leakage, then painted the black forward of the windshield, also the dorsal bay behind the cockpit.

The next stage is to start applying the decals. I have decided to use the Monogram decal sheet for the common markings, and the HobbyBoss decal sheet for markings specific to the 'Streak that I am building. I have decided to build the Wing Commander’s jet from the Strategic Air Command 407th Strategic Fighter Wing. SAC was a big user of the Thunderstreak having no less than six strategic fighter wings in 1955, each wing having 75 aircraft distributed between three squadrons.

The kit was released in 1980, will the decals still work?

51864106474_e3c92432e6_o.jpg20220205_142214 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Initially not looking good, the decal seems to be covered in some sort of film that melts off, I have to clean the decal with a brush whilst it is still in the water.

51864434180_7b29d07264_o.jpg20220205_142358 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

However my anxiety is unfounded and the old decal applies nicely to the Humbrol 11 painted surface 😎

51864106514_a302b4f1d6_o.jpg20220205_142620 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

However, the decal film is just slightly opaque.

51862818542_1f39c5e865_o.jpg20220205_143257 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

The HobbyBoss decals are much easier to apply and this Thunderstreak is starting to look like a very colourful aircraft. The only issue I had was with the markings on top of the vertical fin, the HobbyBoss kit is sized just slightly differently to the Monogram kit. I can use a sharp knife to pare off the excess decal.

51863859943_f09ab48b8d_o.jpg20220205_175006 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Looks like I will be cementing most of the parts together tomorrow, also I need to mask and paint the canopies.

Michael

• Like 5

Hi Michael,

Many years ago I bought a cheap box of 5 double edged razor blades - for the type of razor my father would have used! They are very thin and sharp so I have to mind my fingers when using them, but they are very good for trimming off excess decal. I actually have a small clip together plastic holder which makes using them less risky - it was sold as a window paint scraper I seem to think, but it is a bit cumbersome for this job.

Pete

• Like 1

Bit of a mixed day today. Started off by adding the main undercarriage and some of the wheel bay doors. However I am struggling to work out how the nose undercarriage gear is supposed to fit inside the nose gear well. I looks like it should just push down inside and slot in but I haven't worked it out yet. As per the real aircraft it looks to be a fragile assembly. Going to look and try again tomorrow.

51865933531_1000af57da_o.jpg20220206_172145 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Yes my filling and sanding is that poor. *Heresy Warning* "It won't show on the display shelf 😵 I also added the underwing external fuel tanks and they are huge! I have looked at some photos of the 'Streak in service and I think these are just slightly too long. On the other hand these early turbojet powered aircraft were gas guzzlers and they needed all the carry capacity they could manage.

51864962927_212e07b57c_o.jpg20220206_172050 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

And now the bad bit of the day. I decided to remove the transparencies from their sprues and as soon as I cut off the main canopy part I knew it had gone wrong. Yep, a large chunk missing from the frame 😖 Interestingly, the last time that happened to me it was a Monogram F-4J. Not sure how I am going to get round this one. There's always tomorrow... Michael

51866249409_ee66701934_o.jpg20220206_172950 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

• Like 4

21 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Michael,

Many years ago I bought a cheap box of 5 double edged razor blades - for the type of razor my father would have used! They are very thin and sharp so I have to mind my fingers when using them, but they are very good for trimming off excess decal. I actually have a small clip together plastic holder which makes using them less risky - it was sold as a window paint scraper I seem to think, but it is a bit cumbersome for this job.

Pete

My second house had those metal framed windows and I remember the window paint scraper with a razor blade very well! One of those double edged razor blades would be perfect for this.

Michael

• Like 1

They still sell the blades in the local supermarket, or at least they did pre-covid. I now have a window scraper that takes a stanley knife blde and has a proper shaped handle - much easier and faster! As to the canopy perhaps you could graft on a piece of clear plastic sheet with PVA ot Clearfix. If not it might fill with canopy adhesive. Bit of a pain but it mostly seems to be the frame which will be painted over.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Another deadline missed 😥 I am not sure where I am going with this build, I started it in a great rush of enthusiasm in the Less Than a Tenner GB, cut too many corners, fudged the decals which are now starting to peel off in places... need I say more? Going into deep store I think...

I do have the Revell 2006 boxing of the Kinetic F-84F in the stash with West German markings, now that does look good 😎

Michael