1/35 Panzerkampfwagen VIII Maus - Finished

An incredibly great result indeed! It turns out is possible to make Mouse great looking. I always used to think that a brick-like tank without any small details might not look good no matter what you do. It turns out I was very wrong! Congratulations Paulo!

Vytautas

• Like 1

Wow, what a beautiful model! Weld joints, chalk marks, chain, color variations.... it is mesmerizing. You succeeded in making Maus to be interesting. :worthy:

How did you made chalk marks look this realistic?

What would be interesting is to make one photo of this beast near a "regular" tank, just to show how huge it is.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheOxley said:

I’m like the primer….nice!

Well to be honest I had my doubts about it. I used RC066 Rot Brown from real colours and I think Rc067 should be a better match, but I was confident that with the weathering the colour would be fine. Think in meye eyes it got OK.

Cheers

LM

5 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Brilliantly painted and weathered. All subtly done to make it look like the hefty monster it was. Great work LM.👏👍

Thanks mate. Appreciated!

Cheers

LM

5 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Brilliantly painted and weathered. All subtly done to make it look like the hefty monster it was. Great work LM.👏👍

Thanks mate. Appreciated!

Cheers

LM

2 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Wow, what a beautiful model! Weld joints, chalk marks, chain, color variations.... it is mesmerizing. You succeeded in making Maus to be interesting. :worthy:

How did you made chalk marks look this realistic?

What would be interesting is to make one photo of this beast near a "regular" tank, just to show how huge it is.

Cheers,

Nenad

Well you got to the point. The Maus its a very chunky tank and not very sexy at all, but in the end I think it got OK.

The chalk effect was done with Carandache supraset soft pencils. We can think its easier than paints, but its a kind of tricky and hard to make it seem the real thing, then I worked over with oils.

_DSC2699.jpg

You can see it here among the rest of my hall of shame... 😲

Cheers

LM

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Model Mate said:

All as the others have said - very realistic finish, great job

Thank you for your comment! People tend do do likes, but nothing compares to a real comment. Saying what we think. Good or bad that's the way forums get better. Thanks

Cheers

LM

Hi LM,

As some colleagues have commented before, I do not like the "Maus" to have it in my collection, it is a "paper Panzer" rather, and also it is not very pretty in terms of shapes ...
Leaving aside the real vehicle, your interpretation of it is very good IMHO, even being a single color, it has many nuances of tones and the metallic wear in points I also like a lot, in addition to the "chalk" parts, very authentic. ..
In short, a good job.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi LM,

As some colleagues have commented before, I do not like the "Maus" to have it in my collection, it is a "paper Panzer" rather, and also it is not very pretty in terms of shapes ...
Leaving aside the real vehicle, your interpretation of it is very good IMHO, even being a single color, it has many nuances of tones and the metallic wear in points I also like a lot, in addition to the "chalk" parts, very authentic. ..
In short, a good job.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Well I can agree with you that's a ugly one, in the paper panzer you're wrong. It isn't a paper panzer because one was completed and its in Kubinka Museum, with an horrendous paint job, I mast say, and was also another incomplete one and some spare turrets. On the other side I appreciate very much your comment, well still learning all about all these new tools, technics and paints, because I am of The Old School... Thanks!

Cheers

LM

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Excellent work livening up a subject that could easily be boring. How did you do the chalk? It's great.

Thanks Bertie. The chalk was done with carandache  supracolor soft pencils, because I thought it was the more appropriate to match the effects properly. Must say wasn't damn as easy as I thought. Could have resulted better I must say... or worse!:P

Cheers

LM

Very nice indeed!

You've done a great job on the worn red primer and washed out white with elements of bare metal visible. 

The yellow of the fuel drum make an interesting contrast too. 

Great work

Darryl 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 13/11/2021 at 13:44, Lazy Modeller said:

The photos aren't nothing special because this thing is way to big for my improvised photo box.

Very nice realistic painting and weathering. Photos are good, I can see the details.

Cheers

Witold

Edited by witjas4
  • Thanks 1

On 23/12/2021 at 07:02, witjas4 said:

Very nice realistic painting and weathering. Photos are good, I can see the details.

Cheers

Witold

Thanks Witold! Well the photos aren't too bad, nut the background is somewhat intruding. I've none for such a big thing at,.

Cheers

LM

On 26/12/2021 at 17:44, Whitewolf said:

So the Soviets hauled the Turret off V2 and put it on V1 and this is the example in Kubinka today. I came across a couple of images suggesting V2 was painted in camo at somepoint?

Yeap! It seems so. After some research I've dome some time ago, found that the soviets damaged the hull number two when they tried to remove the turret with six half track pulling it.

And the camouflage was also the real thing. There are plenty photos of the Maus with it. But not a good fan of that one. I think its horrendous, in general I don't like the camouflages because it evolves a nigger connection with war, and I try to focus on the vehicles, but of course that's a bit hypocritical because they're are all killing machines...

Anyway this build was focusing in a factory build before the camouflage have been done.

Cheers

LM

7 hours ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Yeap! It seems so. After some research I've dome some time ago, found that the soviets damaged the hull number two when they tried to remove the turret with six half track pulling it.

And the camouflage was also the real thing. There are plenty photos of the Maus with it. But not a good fan of that one. I think its horrendous, in general I don't like the camouflages because it evolves a nigger connection with war, and I try to focus on the vehicles, but of course that's a bit hypocritical because they're are all killing machines...

Anyway this build was focusing in a factory build before the camouflage have been done.

Cheers

LM

Thanks. I did some digging and both V1 & V2 were painted in camo, albeit a bit basic. The Germans put explosives in V2 and at least partially destroyed it. The Russians hauled off the turret and put it on the far more intact V1 hull. 

The Russians later stripped most of the interior out of V1 and the exhibit at Kubinka is basically an empty hulk, but at least something survives!

• Like 1