1/72 Italeri Hawk Mk I in Finnish colours

I bought this a couple of years ago after seeing it came with markings for the early colour scheme used on these by the Ilmavoimat, I rather like the look of these. Funnily enough, the instructions give FS & Model Master equivalent colours but the little pottles that came with it are pure Humbrol/Airfix starter set type with Humbrol paint numbers. 86, 127 & 164, I painted them out on a card but won't be using them, I reckon I can do better.

DSCF3309

I took that a few weeks back, I've really only just got going & have amused myself with my most favouritest ;) job of the lot, the cockpit.  🤮

Should be able to get it closed up in a day or so.

DSCF3326

Steve.

• Like 4

Good start! I'm sure the fuselage halves are together in no time :)

The colours do look bit off - I agree that you can do better. They are BS-standard colours - BS222 Light Bronze Green (FS24151) and BS437 Very Dark Drab (FS24064) and BS627 Light Aircraft Grey (FS26440). I think I've found pretty good Vallejo Model Air colours for the Hawk but if you are using other brand then maybe those paint codes helps in your search.

• Thanks 1

• stevehnz changed the title to 1/72 Italeri Hawk Mk I in Finnish colours
  • 3 weeks later...

Spent some time this evening trying to fit enough weight into the nose. I'm using #6 lead shot & no way was enough going to fit. The Italeri instructions said 10 grams, about 150 grains on my rifle reloading scales. Then, in a wave of inspiration, I looked at some Airfix instructions. (I've several Hawks in stock.) Only 5 grams in their one & for the life of me I couldn't see the difference in the structure between the too that would need double the nose weight, it has about 7-8 grams I reckon, in the nose forward of the from instrument panel & under the rear cockpit . Fingers crossed.

Steve.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A bit overdue an update, but till tonight progress has been of the fill/rub back, fill/rub back variety. I decided I was largely ok in that respect now, more importantly, I felt like sticking some bits on. ;) I am so not impressed by the engineering of this kit, exactly where are the ventral strakes 'sposed to go, & the wee brick shaped thing under the nose, but for all that, I reckon it looks ok now, still some minor rubbing to be done & while editing this photo I realise I've not filled the holes for the gun pack which this won't be wearing. <_< I'm also showing the colours I'll be using, the Extra Dark Drab is based on a Mike Starmer mix I found on line & looks the goods to me.  

DSCF3345

Steve.

• Like 6

Where did that week go, I know, trying to get a decent lighter green on this, as well as grappling with the silly season of course. :( It took three coats with a new/old tin of Humbrol 226 which I decided to give a go for the lighter green, to my eye it is close to the colour seen in various colour photos on line, also recommended by Airfix in their boxing with a Finnish option. This tinlet was dire. Not sure how old it was but so thin, I reckon it would spray as is. Hu 226 has been hard to come by in New Zealand for some time & I found this in a slightly obscure outlet in the deep south, sorry I bother now, should've stuck with Hu 150. :unsure: Anyway, here it is, it's going to be a push to get this over the line in under a week but we'll see how we go.

DSCF3346

Steve.

• Like 5

looks good with colour o Steve!  :thumbsup:

Mmmm paint can be a bit hard at times to come by down under..... and it always happens to be that one special colour you need that you can't find!!!

Anyway hope you have a merry Christmas and best for the new year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Anyway hope you have a merry Christmas and best for the new year.

Cheers Rich, thanks for the kind thought, feeling sleepy now after a largish, dinner/lunch. All is well with the world. :) I've a feeling it won't last though. :(

Steve.

As predicted, progress over the last few days has been minimal but today I got along a bit & the end result was this, still a way to go & I don't think I'll get it into this years lot, but happy that I will complete it for the GB, I think. ;) :shrug:

I decided to put some drop tanks on it which meant modifying the kit ones slightly. Have done some touching up & am procrastinating on trying to do a wash into the det cord channel. With a bit of luck I'll get most of this done over the next couple of days but maybe not all, I'm off to get a booster covid shot tomorrow, hoping it has as little effect on me as the first two. The camo pattern was a bit of a battle, the kit's one was obviously a fiction, luckily I could find some photos of HW-302 when she was under test in the UK before her ferry flight to Finland, which enabled me to get a better looking pattern, only the port wing root area is a bit vague.

DSCF3347

Steve.

• Like 5

I have managed better t progress today than expected, the Covid booster jab having no ill effects on me. Painting largely complete, only some silver on the pitot to do I think. Have messed around doing the blade aerials above & below the nose, the top one had come off during construction, the bottom two are new as the kit one was wrong for this application, but there were spares in the kit for RAF examples that the Finnish Machines also had according to photos I've found on the net. The top anti-collision beacon is new, there being no sign of one of these in the kit, even though they're quite prominent on the real McCoy. Tomorrow will be decals then some legs & it'll be job done, hopefully. The U/C doors are another area where the instructions are somewhat woeful, a squizzey at the Airfix ones sorted me out on that. I'm looking forward to doing an Airfix kit, they appear to be so much better engineered than this poor old thing. 

DSCF3348

Steve.

• Like 1

Calling this done now, decals & legs on tonight, the decals were OK, quite thick but not too bad with some Klear under them, then one fuselage roundel began to shatter as it was slid off the paper. Possibly I'd hurried it a bit, they were very slow to release. at one point I was running a relay of self closing tweezers to speed the process up. The dod roundel was quickly put on the starboard side, & ended up not too bad, a couple of tiny nicks in the rim. By my reckoning this will give me 9 builds for this year, 50% more than the previous two years, hey, we're on a roll. :D More photos in the gallery.

DSCF3353

I've realised I got the rear underside colour demarcation a bit stuffed up, might look at some Galdecals or see if anyone has the aircraft codes spare to fix that. Just now, it is what it is.

Thanks to Rich, Reini & Marlin for hosting an enjoyable & very varied GB, maybe I can do the later scheme to this with a Airfix Hawk on the next Nordic GB. ;) :D 

Steve.

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Steve, I must admit I can't recall ever seeing a more beautiful model of our beloved Hawks, absolutely fabulously finnished :thumbsup:. V-P

Thank V-P, high praise indeed, especially coming from you. That means a lot. :)  

Steve.