SS United States Transatlantic liner (as she is present day) Revell 1/600 scale model kit

metadyne

23 hours ago, metadyne said:

the shame is, if she were to be saved as  a reworked modern cruise liner/ocean liner modern regulations would need a complete change to her shape, her Bridge would have to be higher and closer to the bow.

There's no regs that I know of that would require the bridge moving closer to the bow, and a quick rough and ready check against a side photo suggests the bridge is plenty high enough above the bow to meet current SOLAS visibility requirements (view of the sea surface 500m in front of the vessel). 

Whilst there would need to be numerous detail changes to meet modern requirements (new enclosed lifeboats and davits to suit for a start) I don't think there would be any need for any major structural changes to the shape.

The changes illustrated in the Crystal Cruises redesign proposal appear to be driven by a desire to increase capacity by adding extra decks and moving the bridge forward, rather than a requirement to move the bridge to meet current SOLAS visibility regs.

• Like 3

so far, but still a massive long way to go still. each rust/peeling paint process requires damping down the area to be salted, sprinkled with salt, dried, airbrushed, then the whole process returns to the start for another colour tone, so far two tones down.

spacer.png

• Like 3

the green decks are getting the same treatment of varying the green tones to suggest worn and peeling paint/deck coverings, of course the white bulkheads will need re whiting when I have the desired result.

spacer.png

the black hull side too.

spacer.png

• Like 8

Gidday, I've spent many a happy hour removing rust from ships, it seems strange to be applying it! 😲 But what you're doing looks very authentic, even if it is a bit sad to see such a ship in this state. Keep up the good work though. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking excellent - very authentic.  I watched the first of those “abandoned” things on YouToob; I had no idea that she was part-financed by the Department of Defense.  She was certainly remarkably fast!

• Like 1

I'm not happy with the progress, I'm taking it right back almost to the start again, I'm not happy that I've settled for the kit hand rails, they look way too over thick, they look overscale compared to the fine paint effects I'm putting a lot of time and effort into. So the answer is to replace the rails with pe, something I should have done right at the start.

spacer.png

the bridge upper deck will need features rebuilt as shown on the drone footage.

spacer.png

• Like 4

well I have to say, I'm happier now, what's the point of forging on when you know you're not confident with progress, so going backward sometimes, is in fact forging ahead.

spacer.png

just needs some PE rails to go on there to add that extra, plus some scratch building for the bridge roof.

spacer.png

• Like 7

the day after, the application of quite a lot of thinner with the black wash, assessing such paint effects can only really be done hours later when it has dried back. Much more still to come on this....

spacer.png

trying my hardest to get it to look like this, funnels need much more closer attention to the real thing.

• Like 5

the cranes minus their arms and the lookout tower in grey paint, the yards on the tower look too thick and out of scale.

spacer.png

the yards were replaced with a thinner stretched sprue, the rails replaced with PE one's from the spares box.

spacer.png

stern cranes with the deck equipment replaced with scrap from the spares box. Also added a ladder from the PE leftover spares box.

spacer.png

• Like 3

well that's done for now, I'll post some pictures up when I seal it inside it's glass case. I did enjoy the improvements, using stretched sprue really makes a difference, in fact using a PE set and stretched sprue may form the basis of my next ship build, I fancy making an old Airfix HMS 1/600,  and see how much I can bring it up, from the 60s to ....well at least the 90's. 

spacer.png

• Like 8

Absolutely beautiful build. It hurt me to look at her when I flew over her a few weeks back. I was so thrilled when I realized it was her.

Your weathering is awesome. Can't wait to see more.

One day I'll do her in her most glorious in service colors. 

Cheers,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2021 at 4:42 PM, metadyne said:

the shame is, if she were to be saved as  a reworked modern cruise liner/ocean liner modern regulations would need a complete change to her shape, her Bridge would have to be higher and closer to the bow.

No she wouldn’t.

I have never seen any Class or Flag requirements like that.

Items like life saving equipment & fire fighting installations would need updating but ships are allowed to remain ‘as built’ as regards visibility.

• Like 1

Notwithstanding my above comment;

An excellent build of a beautiful ship, such a shame she can’t be saved, even as Jeff Bezos’ private yacht would be better than a seagull roost! 

• Like 1

Unusual model and a real credit to your  weathering techniques!

It is a shame that the real thing is still languishing in Philadelphia Harbour, and not been converted into a hotel cum tourist attraction ship like the Queen Mary in Long Beacb

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 6:38 AM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I've spent many a happy hour removing rust from ships, it seems strange to be applying it! 😲 But what you're doing looks very authentic, even if it is a bit sad to see such a ship in this state. Keep up the good work though. Regards, Jeff.

Dabber?

• Confused 1