Royal Emil (Bf 109E-3, Special Hobby 1/72)

Marcel

No, not a RAF captured Emil, but a 1941 Royal Yugoslav Air Force Messerschmitt. I bought the Special Hobby "Simple Set" boxing plus their masks and I am also going to use some Eduard PE parts.

spacer.png

I have the Lift Here decals (somewhere) to build a Me 109 (yes, they used Me instead of Bf) coded L-52 from the short "April war" 1941.

spacer.png 

Edited by Marcel
a mistake
  • Like 7

Were you aware that the ailerons drooped with flap extension? A small detail, to be sure, but one that gets missed on a lot of builds. See the linked article and scroll down to section 2.81 Ailerons, for details. IIRC, when the flaps were fully extended to 42 degrees, the ailerons drooped 11 degrees. Beginning with the Bf-109F, this feature was discontinued. Aileron droop coupled with flap extension was a very common feature on many German single and twin engine designs. We also had a detailed discussion on this topic a while back- you could look for it.

Mike

http://kurfurst.org/Tactical_trials/109E_UKtrials/Morgan.html

• Like 4

Hi Mike, yes and both the ailerons are dropped a bit. The kit parts are designed in that way and until you don’t remove the aileron and flap tabs there is only one way how to attach them. Well I am not a photographer so maybe it is not visible from my images.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 5:29 PM, Marcel said:

Many (and I mean MANY) years ago I built a Tamiya Emil in 1/72.

Looks great, and not old at all!

On 11/17/2021 at 11:26 PM, 72modeler said:

Were you aware that the ailerons drooped with flap extension?

I never knew that Mike! Good to know.

Great build Marcel, and very good photos too. Your pre-shading worked a treat!

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...