Takom Sea Dart Missile 1/35

Silenoz

Don't know if this belongs here.

The Sea Dart was a British naval missile for medium range as a ship defence for incoming cruise missiles, jets, bombers etc and also had a limited capacity to attack small ships or land targets. It was mounted on the Type-42 Destroyers and the HMS Invincible class carriers. Is was in service from 1973 till 2012 (pretty long time, IMHO), and was used in the Falkland war (7 kils +1 friendly fire) and the Persian Gulf (1 silkworm missile)

5430400889_150ae5d5e8_b.jpg

The missile itself im long and weighs kg. The body consists of a detachable booster to bring it up to speed and a ram-engine to sustain flight at a cruise speed of mach 2.5. 

The kit:
1351589-38473-25-pristine.jpg

10785104z.jpg

This one was started as an in between project, while I was struggling with my Harrier canopy. Build is pretty easy, only need to dryfit for the wings of the missiles. These are "keyed", but the "key" is a tad too long

1108407-11032-96-1440.jpg

but this was the result of an afternoon glueing.

There are some visible seams between the main parts, and found that these were welded, so tried the same to add the welds while closing the gaps...

1108406-11032-99-pristine.jpg

Here I worked with streched sprue, glued it over the seam, made it soft with extra thin cement, and made some dents with a knife. Then I burnt the residu away with some more extra thin cement and pressed it a bit down with the back of a knife to make it less pronounced

Next up was primer and the start of the painting

1108408-11032-78-1440.jpg

I wanted to try this for a long time, not my best effort ... 

1108409-11032-24-1440.jpg

To be continued...

• Like 16

36 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

Don't know if this belongs here.

Works for me, it is a naval weapon. I’ll tag along :popcorn:, as I’ve often wondered about these kits. Not sure I’ll do one myself, but I’m interested in seeing one built.

Out of interest, how big is it ?

Jon

• Thanks 1

Sea Dart was originally conceived to engage high flying aircraft, primarily Bombers and recon planes. Not low flying aircraft travelling at speed, and certainly not cruise missiles. However, the whole system including the radar underwent a substantial upgrade that made it much more useful....

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, junglierating said:

Looks like a good topic to follow....just one thing you didnt mention its use on the sole type82 destroyer...BRIZZLE.

I believe it was used to trial the weapon...im sure there is an ex WE who knows a bit more.

Yes, you are right. The system was mounted on the type 82 from 1973 for testing. My bad.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve built this set, I personally found the fit wayward in places but that could just be me. The lack of decals for the Sea Dart was a disappointment, especially as they had perfect reference from the RN school of weapons. The Sea Wolf was fine to build apart from the brace between the two sets of launchers. Again, it might of been me.

Enjoy your builds.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't normally build this type of kit, but I couldn't resist this one. The reason - back in the late 1970s/early 1980s I worked for Ferranti at the Admiralty Surface Weapons Establishment in Portsmouth. I worked on the control systems for the Seadart and other weapons on board the Type 42, 82, Leander and Invincible class ships for the RN.

I have to say, the kit itself is not quite as good as I was expecting. The lack of decals (even those shown on the box art!), and some questionable sprue attachment points are a let down. Thanks to those who have posted pictures and video to remind me of the multiple colour schemes for the missile itself. Looking forward to your completed model