Silver Mosquito TR33 info. needed, please.

David Womby

I'm thinking of building a silver TR33, preferably with D type roundels, but I am finding pics scarce.    So far I have found pics of - 

TW250/???/?? and TW???/543/?? from 751 NAS when it was part of a Radio Warfare Unit in the 50s.  The pics show yellow trainer bands, silver (I think) spinners, D type roundels and antenna protrusions on the leading edges!   These pics may both be the same aircraft (although their thinble radomes are different colours) but I can't tell as one pic shows the serial and no code and the other shows the code and no serial!  I can't see the fin on either to see if they had codes on there

TW249/416/BQ at Hurn.  This aircraft has the larger, fully faired in radome.  D type roundels and training bands and probably silver spinners.   So if no other candidates can be found, this is probably what I'll build but I'd prefer the early thimble style radome.

TW292/595/LP.  This one has C type roundels and silver spinners.

Can anybody help with pics, or point me to the source of pics for silver airframes, please?   Were any of 811 Sqdn's machines silver?

David

David,

Certainly a pretty Mosquito, with the four blade props and silver dope finish with the yellow bands, but hard to find any photos other than  the ones you most likely already found in your research; there seem to be a lot more photos in camouflage than silver dope. Here is a decent photo collection,in case you change your mind, and there are several builds on the 'net, in 1/72, 1/48, and 1/24 scale that might be helpful. I've got the 1/72 Paragon conversion, but have not even decided if I will build one, as I have yet to decide upon a scheme/serial. Wish I could be more helpful, but good luck with your project!

Mike

https://www.destinationsjourney.com/historical-military-photographs/de-havilland-mosquito-tr-mk-33/?amp

• Thanks 1

Several silver 771 Sqdn ones in Ian thirsks Mosquito:An Illustrated History Vol2 but in Type C roundels.

There is a photo of a line-up in The Modellers datafile where you can see a D type roundel but not enough to identify an aircraft by code/serial.

• Thanks 1