Brothers From Other Mothers - Dual Build - Seversky P-35 - Reggiane 2000 - 1/72 Scale

I've always had an affinity toward odd and forgotten aircraft, and of late I've really taken a liking to the aircraft of the immediate pre-WWII period. The designs were so optimistic and with every designer pushing the boundaries of what what technologically possible there were some really evocative...        failures.

Some of those failures would eventually pan out and their offspring would go on to become some of the most famous aircraft of the second world war. Those charismatic forebears have been largely, and rightfully, forgotten by most. I like forgotten things, as do most modelers it would seem. They are likable enough anyway for a few Eastern European companies to produce kits of these ungainly, if lovable, flops.

The Seversky P-35 was a rising star in the American aircraft industry of the Mid-1930s. The unorthodox ways in which a quirky little firm like that of Alexander Seversky’s beat out the monolithic Curtiss Wright Corporation in the USAAC's 1935 competition for that service's next fighter are worth further reading. Some very advanced ideas made the stubby little fighter with elliptical wings a sensation. Unfortunately for Seversky and the Air Corps, the engineering never really worked out in practice. Using the whole wing as a fuel tank was a novel concept, but there was no end to the leaks that created very real safety and operational concerns. A protracted development process, and the fact the the small Seversky company couldn't dream of meeting the production demands of the US Government, meant that by the time the P-35 was actually ready for front line service, it was too old, too slow, and too little to do the job. In the end, the Air Corps ended up buying the same plane that the P-35 beat in the 1935 competition. The Curtiss P-36 by this time had been developed far beyond the capabilities of the Seversky. None of that mattered though, the Seversky P-35 was a darling of the industry, she was shown everywhere, she turned up on the racing circuit, her silhouette became the de facto American fighter plane in ads and copyright all over. For about five minutes...

spacer.png

During that five minutes, some Italians must have been looking. In 1938 the Reggiane firm submitted a design to the Regia Aeronautica for a fast, highly maneuverable, and highly modern single seat fighter. That design touted all the same achievements and forward thinking of the Seversky P-35. And another thing: it looked like a Seversky P-35. Same elliptical wing shape. Same tail shape. Same fuselage proportions. Same engine and armament layout. Same idea to use the entire wing as a fuel tank. Some say it was a direct copy, some say it was a coincidence. Some say some the engineers from Seversky "shared" engineering data or ideas. Some say other things. In any case, it was an unabashed success... for about five minutes. After it was revealed that the Re.2000 out performed just about anything else the Italian aviation industry had in the air, it was also revealed that the wings constantly leaked fuel. Oh, and the small Reggiane company was unable to quickly develop and deliver the aircraft in quantity or quality. Sounds familiar...

spacer.png

So there you have it, two (suspiciously) similar aircraft with similar stories of failure. Of course, all stories have to have a happy ending. For the P-35, it came in the form of a really big engine, a really big turbocharger, and a really big weight-gain regimen. The awkward little P-35 spawned the muscular P-47. With the Italians, the Re.2000's redemption came in the form of a German engine. The thoroughbred Re.2005, with its Daimler Benz 605, is oft regarded one of the finest Italian fighters of the war...

Edited by RainierHooker
Grammar
  • Like 10

Okay, enough waxing poetic. Here's the kits...

51673553386_856814278b_k.jpgIMG_3414 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

For the Seversky I'll be building Special Hobby's 1/72 Scale P-35 from their "War Games & War Training" boxing. The kit is overall really nice, but a typical short-run kit. No alignment pins, soft plastic, and some lacking detail here and there in the plastic parts. In true Special Hobby tradition, it does come with a few photo etched and resin bits. I picked this kit up at the local hobby shop for less than $20USD and I was drawn the complicated camouflage and the "Sioux Indian Head" logo of the 94th Pursuit Squadron (my Father's side of the family is Sioux)...

51673790118_897c60e135_k.jpgIMG_3415 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

51674424195_98d02b62c4_k.jpgIMG_3417 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

For the Reggiane fighter, I ended up with the Re.2000GA kit offered by Sword. I picked it up simply because I needed to fill out an online order to make the most of shipping, it was cheap enough, and it gave me the idea for this dual build. The kit has much fewer parts than the Special Hobby kit, and no resin or PE. However, the plastic has much nicer and finer detail than the P-35, especially in the engine and cockpit. That said, it is something of a festival of flash; I'll be whittling away a bit more here. Once again, I was primarily drawn to the complex three-color-camouflage. Of course now I'm getting intimidated at the thought of how I'm going to pull it off in 1/72 scale...

51673553601_a8e243ba00_k.jpgIMG_3419 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

51674424365_c12c9e0a6f_k.jpgIMG_3420 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

I should start flinging paint and chopping plastic tomorrow...

Edited by RainierHooker
Grammar
  • Like 12

There is definitely a link between these two aircraft.... Reggiane, as part of the Caproni group, investigated purchasing the production license for either the P-35 or the P-36- Seversky was very keen on closing a deal and he worked very hard to push his aircraft. In the end Reggiane didn't buy any license and rumours were that someone sold the project or at least part of the technology to Reggiane. However Reggiane employees after the war mentioned payments sent to Republic (that in the meantime had acquired Seversky) so it is very likely that no license was given for political reason but all the information needed to build the aircraft was sold from Seversky, although somehow kept hidden for the same political reasons.

Overall the Re.2000 ended up being a decent aircraft, its main problem was that by the time of its presentation there were already not one but 3 other fighters in production (G.50, MC.200 and the stopgap CR.42), so there was really no use for the type. Reggiane had better luck with the Re.2001 derivative, powered by the DB.601, that was built in higher numbers. The Re.2005 was the pinnacle of the line but was really only built in very small numbers... and likely met in the air that P-47 that derived from the P-35, so bringing the two desnendants one against the other.

Looking forward to the build, I have the Sword Re.2000 and to me seems to be the best kit of the type in this scale. I built their Re.2001 and was overall easy enough for a short run: I don't have the SH P-35 but it's one of those kits that tempt me anytime I see one for sale...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And away we go...

I decided to begin with the P-35, and start off with the engine. Since its a radial and it has an open shallow cowl I was planning on doing some additional detail. Usually I add spark plug leads and that usually makes a sufficient amount of busyness in 1/72 scale. However, when I went to nip off the engine bits I was greeted with...

51676536800_ce816d509c_k.jpgIMG_3424 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

Really Special Hobby? A blob of 7 cylinders with no attempt at rockers, plugs, leads, or any radial-ish bits? The second bank of the engine is moulded within a bulkhead and the crankcase part is just a cone, no mags or other detail to be seen. They'll tease you with the tiniest little photo-etched levers hidden in the cockpit, but they leave the centerpiece of any radial engined fighter absolutely devoid of attention. That lump is supposed to look like this:

spacer.png

I was planning on hitting my local hobby shop tomorrow for some paint colors that I'm lacking. While I'm there I'll be looking for a resin R-1830, or failing that a cheap model of an aircraft similarly equipped with a Twin Wasp. Failing that, I'll resign myself to making all the detail from plastic rod and fine wire.

• Like 7

I noticed that the green color used in the cockpit appears to be much lighter and yellower than what is traditionally seen in wartime US types. Sure, it could be the result of restoration, or off-tones from the photos, but it is a reference none the less, and probably the best one I'll get (the aircraft has been restored yet again since the time that those phots were taken). I make a mix of 50/50 Vallejo "Green Zinc Chromate" and "Beige"...

51674858167_e34be3dc8f_k.jpgIMG_3425 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

I think the color turned out pretty okay...

51676537010_e54e7203d8_k.jpgIMG_3426 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

After some detail painting with black, some dry brushing with white and beige, and some washes in dark olive it was looking even better. I even managed to find the throttle quadrant after it sprung out of my tweezers and flew across the room (thank god for hardwood floors) so there are the requisite number of tiny levers in the cockpit to never be seen again once the fuselage is closed up...

51676536665_753f7fcf78_k.jpgIMG_3430 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

And with that, it's Friday night, the kids are in bed, and I think its time for a dram of rum. Till tomorrow...

Edited by RainierHooker
  • Like 11

Well, its been a few days, but I got the Seversky's cockpit finished. Lots of fiddly bits and PE to play with. The PE and film instrument panels are nice, but it is unlikely that they will be seen when the fuselage is closed up. I lost one half of the shoulder harness of the pilot's seat to the floor monster, but substituted an Eduard one from the bin of random leftovers. I also managed to break the seat support so made a new one out of styrene rod...

51685794448_e8a19ead9c_k.jpgIMG_3474 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

51684732867_1f1a7f36e7_k.jpgIMG_3471 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

I ordered some quickboost R-1830 engines (intended for a C-47) and if they work to replace the kit parts, great. If not, I stocked up on styrene rod so I can scratch build some detail on the kit's blob. While I await the postman, I decided to start on the Reggiane, and get her caught up. I began with getting a coat of green on the cockpit components...

51686422420_7a258ad419_k.jpgIMG_3475 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

Edited by RainierHooker
  • Like 9

Just caught up on the dual build and have enjoyed your process. Looks like the Special Hobby P-35 & the Sword Re.2000 are both pretty nice little things. Looking forward to the next instalment  

• Thanks 1

Starting on detailing the Re2000's cockpit, the first step is reference pictures...

spacer.png

(above photo from https://www.key.aero/article/reggiane-re-2000-2001-2002-2005)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

(preceding three photos from http://www.reggiane.info/lang1/strumenti-1.html)

Edited by RainierHooker

Unfortunately there are no extant color photos of Italian Re 2000 cockpits. The only complete Re 2000 in existence is a Swedish Air Force J20 example. There is an Italian Re 2000 that was recently recovered from the Mediterranean Sea, but it is hardly useful for my project...

spacer.png

In any case, I should have enough from the black-n-whites and the color guides found on https://www.stormomagazine.com to make a meager amount of detail appropriate to 1/72 scale...

• Like 3

The Reggiane is caught up to the Seversky with the cockpit painted and assembled...

51690593930_0dae17d87b_k.jpgIMG_3495 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

51690594020_45e02d9130_k.jpgIMG_3492 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

I was inclined to add more detail with fine wire and a scratch-built throttle quadrant but after test fitting in the fuselage halves, it is very apparent that none of it would be visible. As the kit I am building is of the Serie III variant, the rear of the combing for the greenhouse is very closed in and solid behind the pilots seat. Had I elected too build an earlier model Re.2000 there would be much more in sight due to the much more open greenhouse. In the end some careful painting, washing, dry brushing, and an Eduard seat harness provide enough visual interest, I think.

One other thing I noticed is that the locating tabs for the cockpit floor that are cast into the fuselage side halves are misplaced. They position the cockpit at an angle, and don't allow the fuselage halves to close at the lower seam. I'll be cutting the tabs off and inserting the cockpit assembly after the fuselage halves are joined. I'll pray that doing so doesn't throw the wing out of whack, but that's what dremels, scalpels, and sandpaper are for.

Before either aircraft's fuselage is ready to close-up, I've got to do the engines. The Italian's Piaggio P.XI is first up as I'm still awaiting the American's resin replacement.

spacer.png

(Piaggio P.XI Motor in the Museum of Aeronautics Gianni Caproni, image from Wikimedia Commons)

Edited by RainierHooker
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Interesting project! Going to follow if I may.

Certainly! Grab a seat and someone will be along to take your cocktail order shortly...

I finished up the Re.2000's engine. It went from this:

51690008371_f57c09bddb_k.jpgIMG_3501 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

To this:

51690008411_a8af3cd651_k.jpgIMG_3514 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

...in about an hour. Started by airbrushing it flat black. From there I dry brushed with "basalt gray", then "light gray", and then "silver". Then I added ignition leads made from individual strands plucked from a short length of tinned copper wire. After that I hit it with a wash of black.

As you can see, I have also glued the two halves of the fuselage together. The locating tab for the engine shown in the instructions is missing from the part. As a result there is no real good way to determine where to glue the engine before closing the fuselage. I can get the engine in from the back, through the wing root hole before putting in the cockpit. After the green on the inside of the cowling pieces dries, I'll glue the cowl band in place and put the engine in from behind, making the crank hub just even with the leading edge of the cowl. I'll hold it in place with some Uhu-Tack while I glue it in its permanent home...

• Like 9

Those are looking great! Sorry that I only found this topic today or else this drawing of the Re2000 cockpit would have been more useful.

It's from the Ali D'Italia book # 3, The Reggiane Re2000.

51691870990_fbf14defe3_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 3

Thanks @dogsbody I I think its interesting that none of the three sources seem to agree on instrument panels for this aircraft. The two sets of pictures I posted have different gauges and placement and your picture has even further differences. Crazy to think that in an aircraft with so few examples produced, there would be that much variation.

A bit more progress on the Reggiane tonight between getting home from work and making dinner. The cockpit is in place, the wings are assembled and some putty and fairing work is started:

51691878803_bdf86117a2_k.jpgIMG_3525 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

51692496190_a7029b4c2a_k.jpgIMG_3529 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

51692496005_ce2a02371c_k.jpgIMG_3527 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

51691878988_395edfbe44_k.jpgIMG_3530 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

I'm still waiting on the postman, and I'm working over the weekend (the joys of being self employed) so progress is likely to slow a bit for a few days.

• Like 4

I got some modeling time in on over the last few evenings. Still no progress on the Seversky, but the Reggiane has made leaps and bounds...

After some priming, and sanding, and fixing of some seams, and more sanding, I shot the whole exterior in flat black:

51705149565_34fb11e4ca_k.jpgIMG_3575 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

Then, in an effort to provide both some some pre-shading and a base to chip to, I painted all the panels with aluminum:

51704260861_afd9f6c446_k.jpgIMG_3577 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

51704937224_9fd273e125_k.jpgIMG_3576 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

That was followed by a misting with AK Worn Effects in preparation for top coat application. In the end though, this was irrelevant; either I waited too long letting the chipping medium dry before top coating, or I let the top coats dry too long before chipping. Regardless, I was unable to do some proper chipping via this technique.

• Like 2

As to what way to paint our Italian fighter, I really had two choices: either the overall dark green scheme that the aircraft were delivered in, or one of the camouflage schemes used by the only group to use the Re.2000 GA operationally: the 377a Squadriglia Autonomo in Sicily. The green scheme is attractive, if a little boring, but would be easy on my abilities. But what the heck, I'm a bit of a masochist, so I chose camouflage.

But which camouflage? Depending on the picture or profile you look at, the 337a SA painted their aircraft with tan mottles over the factory green, or they used green and brown mottles over a tan base, or they used a variant of the Regia Aeronautica's "Uova al Tegamino" pattern of brown mottles over a tan base and then crisscrossed with an irregular pattern of green lines...

51704761287_acd90f5bec_c.jpgimg_85-1_0 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

51705833853_37f008ebd5_c.jpgRe.2000-13 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

51704760952_7e3c621c04_b.jpgreggianere2000 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

...you can really see the aforementioned green lines that create an almost cellular structure on the wings of aircraft No 5 in the last picture.

As that would be the most difficult of the options to paint, and the worst for my sanity, that's the one I chose...

Edited by RainierHooker
  • Like 3

I first sprayed the undersides with Grigio Mimetico (Light Gray):

51704261456_94fa6fd033_k.jpgIMG_3590 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

And then Giallo Mimetico (Camouflage Yellow), on the top sides:

51704937339_5a483b795d_k.jpgIMG_3593 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

In a step that left the little fighter looking like a giraffe, I applied irregular blotches of Marrone Mimetico (Camouflage Brown):

51704937564_8656e95280_k.jpgIMG_3595 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

And finally, I freehanded a bunch of wavy lines in Verde Mimetico (Camouflage Green):

51705150065_35dae4dceb_k.jpgIMG_3598 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

• Like 6

All of the Squadron's aircraft carried a white band around the rear of the fuselage, and the color of the cowl denoted the 1st or 2nd section of the unit, Black and Red respectively. Although I have a somewhat irrational aversion to painting things too closely to the box art, I couldn't argue with that striking red nose. So I threw on some masking tape and sprayed on some white and red...

51704759877_250382d03a_k.jpgIMG_3625 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

51705553046_80c489a597_k.jpgIMG_3624 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

...I also added a little bit of chipping with brush and sponge after my efforts at activating the AK weathering effects failed. With that we are caught up, the Reggiane is waiting for its gloss coat to dry but is otherwise ready for decals:

51705553126_a7758e5f91_k.jpgIMG_3628 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

Hopefully the Seversky can catch up this weekend.

• Like 10