Special Hobby 1/72 RNZAF P-40K Kittyhawk NZ3061

Hi all,

This kit was a birthday present to myself in August last year as I love P-40s, had liked the look of the Special Hobby kits, and am a sucker for RNZAF markings. The kit itself has lovely details and went together beautifully, the decals were well-behaved. The only issues I had were self-caused such as losing the correct canopy, and using a too-dark green for the top colour wich somehow became even darker under Humbrol gloss. For various reasons I only added the finishing touches - painting the light lenses - today.

But I want more of these kits. It was a delight and, as long as I don't bring myself down by using the wrong colours, I expect the next to be even better and more fun.

Photo of the real NZ3061 from "RNZAF The First Decade" by Charles Darby:

NZ3061 RNZAF The First Decade Charles Darby

Special Hobby 1/72 P-40K-15 Kittyhawk NZ3061 Special Hobby 1/72 P-40K-15 Kittyhawk NZ3061 Special Hobby 1/72 P-40K-15 Kittyhawk NZ3061 Special Hobby 1/72 P-40K-15 Kittyhawk NZ3061 Special Hobby 1/72 P-40K-15 Kittyhawk NZ3061

Edited by k5054nz
added photo
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, k5054nz said:

using a too-dark green for the top colour wich somehow became even darker under Humbrol gloss.

Hi Zack,

That's one lovely RNZAF P40K :thumbsup:

I personally think the NZ Foliage Green is just fine (just think of it as being a very recent re-paint :D)

and the NZ Sky Grey looks fine too:thumbsup2:

For some reason the Humbrol Gloss seems to make Dark Colours darker (had that happen on an RNZAF

Corsair)

Thanks for sharing your model with us

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Thanks 1

Alan, you telling my my Foliage Green looks okay is all the encouragement I need. Thank you so much! As it was an Ohakea-based bird I rationalised it wouldn't get terribly discoloured.

I've no doubt you've seen it but I've edited in a scan from "RNZAF The First Decade" by Charles Darby showing the real NZ3061 after it came to grief at Ohakea.

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nice job on that Zac. Fwiw, the green you have used doesn't look too bad, so don't be too worried about it. I've got this boxing too & if I can get it to look as good as this I'll be happy with it. :)

Steve.

Sorry Steve, I missed your reply! Thank you for the kind words - Foliage Green is such a minefield I just used an online "converter" for the Gunze paint in the instructions and went with it...second-guessing myself every step of the way... I'd love to get more of these even though I'm moving into 1/48, I enjoyed this build so much. I really want to get a P-40E so I can do NZ3031 (Alan is no doubt very familiar with that serial), lost in an accident near Wainouiomata killing its Wanganui-born pilot Tom Marchant. I recently visited his grave here in Whanganui and would love to build a tribute to him.

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

I really want to get a P-40E so I can do NZ3031 (Alan is no doubt very familiar with that serial), lost in an accident near Wainouiomata killing its Wanganui-born pilot Tom Marchant. I recently visited his grave here in Whanganui and would love to build a tribute to him.

Hi Zac,

Not wanting to take away from your excellent P40K build, but these P40E-1 Swatches

are from NZ3031

59516d96-77b6-4750-976e-fd05c4da1db3.jpg

5f5bf348-e74d-4e5d-bcb4-1eb404e9165f.JPG

I think a tribute build to Tom Marchant would be absolutely Awesome:poppy:

So many of our Servicemen/Women are/have been taken in accidents, and really never

get much if any recognition for their Service.

Look forward to your build of NZ3031:thumbsup:

Regards

Alan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Not wanting to take away from your excellent P40K build, but these P40E-1 Swatches

are from NZ3031

59516d96-77b6-4750-976e-fd05c4da1db3.jpg

That's precisely why I said the serial of my planned project would sound familiar to you 😉 Perhaps you might appreciate seeing this:

Grave of Thomas Victor Marchant, Aramoho Cemetery, Whanganui 14/10/2020

19 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

NEEEEEXT one please...........

I'm hoping to get some proper paid work soon so you never know...but also Christmas is coming...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Thank you! I hate painting white but they tend to be inevitable when doing Kiwi P-40s!

I don’t paint pure white (or pure black) on anything. I think it looks too stark on a model so I use a very very pale grey instead, over a white primer. To my eye it looks better and as a side effect, it’s easier to apply too. 

Thank you, all! I feel much better about how it turned out.

57 minutes ago, kapam said:

The P-40 was a most versatile and well-used plane, but often gets overshadowed by more famous types (e.g., Mustangs & Spitfires).

Here in New Zealand it was our frontline fighter for most of the war so I think most enthusiasts have a healthy respect for them, even though at airshows the Mustangs and Spitfires inevitable get more attention.

20 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I use a very very pale grey instead, over a white primer. To my eye it looks better and as a side effect, it’s easier to apply too. 

That's a handy tip, thank you for that!