Eduard 1/48 typhoon

Hello everyone.

This is my first image post here and the first time I’ve shared my builds online, so tell me what you think.

That out of the way, this one took me a couple years to get through it. It kept going back in the box and I had several attempts at completing it. Finally I finished. Reason being I put a stupid about of work into surface detail. I wanted to give “stressed skin” effect a go. The effect is nice but it was a terrible boring job to sit there with a scalpel and sandpaper, and doing it so it doesn’t leave scratches (light gentle hands with scalpel is key). Then I hook in with Rosie the riveter. 

p?i=c353743fd5834442d44d65792649b86e

p?i=46f523a43fd23164c7714bc8168c206c

here it is in completion. I opted to finish it semi gloss instead of flat, so it doesn’t disperse the light and shows off the effect.

p?i=b63a2cb4404dea7780b29d42c9d79104

p?i=9baa6109e9e1ca546b198d3cb93173c4

An advantage of some of these older kits is the lack of surface details, it give me the freedom to do it my own way. Like these rivets for example. I didn’t go too nuts sanding the rivets down after I made them. This leaves them slightly proud, and in doing so it makes the hairspray chipping method a bit more convincing. With a light enough hand and the right amount of hairspray, you can remove paint just on those slightly proud rivets in the wing root area.

p?i=379465df28d9593f90c03ae87a20f543

p?i=f4a0522f93bf3bfe1f9dd0e5ca81faa3

Anyway it was more an experiment than anything but I’m happy with the result.

• Like 48
  • Thanks 1

That’s an incredible work. Looks fantastic! Stressed skin is a very hard to imitate. I did it one time and agree, it is very very boring. But the result is unique. I hope you don’t mind when I say it could be a little more matte. But I think then the stressed skin effects are hard to see. 

Cheers 

Andy 

• Like 1

Hi Andy.

you’re probably right about the matte finish. The second image is all glossed up for decals and washes etc. I used the semi gloss to finish it. It’s very much on the edge of what I’d deem as acceptable, and I did get it at the right light to photograph it to show it off, so it probably appears here as more glossy here than it actually is. But like you said, I didn’t want to hide my laborious work.

• Thanks 1

Yes don’t worry . You made an very special unique work . I like that very much especially the worn rivets on the wing and the whole weathering is spot on…..

oh, and I forgot:  You are very welcome here!!!!! 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

I can see from the first picture, that the Eduard kit is very high quality, your modelling skills are very high quality, therefore the end result is very high quality.

This is one of the nicest models of this kind I have ever seen. I also like the little diorama, which suits the model perfectly.

Take this one to any competition and high chance of earning an award. From me you get an award anyway. 👍

Edited by Remus389

6 hours ago, Remus389 said:

I can see from the first picture, that the Eduard kit is very high quality, your modelling skills are very high quality, therefore the end result is very high quality.

This is one of the nicest models of this kind I have ever seen. I also like the little diorama, which suits the model perfectly.

Take this one to any competition and high chance of earning an award. From me you get an award anyway. 👍

Cheers for feedback mate. The Eduard edition of this kit was just a hasegawa reboxed with a few extra resin and PE details. Honestly a painful kit to make but I made it work.

• Like 1

Excellent done.

What I highly recomend on your build is, the demarcation of camo.

It is not sharp lined, it has an area where it changes. Quite small, but there.

Wonderful!!!

To improove a little bit:

The surface looks too glossy:

Here I recomend Gunze GX 112, GX 113 and GX 114.

With this, you can create also a smooth medium flat if you like. 114

The less color you need, so better it is.

Also extrem glossy. 112

Or extrem flat 113.

This is for me the best way after 25 years modelling.

Happy modelling

• Thanks 1

I looked at your Typhoon this morning but didn't post a comment because I honestly couldn't decide whether or not I liked the stressed skin effect (SSE). Since then I've thought it over a lot, looked at my own reference books and done some googling for photos. Now I can say with assurance that in some ways I really like it, and in others, I don't. Lol. That's not very helpful criticism, is it?

Before I get into the SSE, let me say how much I admire the build. I can find no faults at all. It's marvellous. So is the painting. So are the decals. This is top quality stuff and if I'm honest, I'm a little envious of your skills. It's a competition winner for sure.

But the SSE kept niggling at me like it was stuck in my teeth. At first I thought it was really overdone and couldn't remember seeing anything like it on photos but when I looked for it, there it was, on the side of the fuselage aft of the cockpit. It was casting shadows in the raking light coming from above. I couldn't find any sign of it on the wings though. I don't know if it was there, I think it probably was, but it wasn't visible because the light was falling onto the wings perpendicularly and casting no shadows. The paintwork being matt, it was also throwing no reflections.

I see your SSE very clearly all over the airframe and it seems overdone because of the shiny reflections which double the effect, if the surface is deformed by, say, five degrees, the reflection will move ten. So I now think that your SSE is just about right, not too exaggerated at all. It's just that shine! If it was matt finished, you would have difficulty photographing it and we wouldn't see it at all on the wings, which would be perfect.

However, you've spent years on this special feature and of course you don't want it to be so subtle that most viewers won't even notice it. I certainly wouldn't. The actual process was done as brilliantly as the rest of the build (I'm including the riveting as part of the process) and if it was mine, I'd have wanted to do it in chrome so everyone would know. lol

So my suggestion, which you haven't asked for, so please feel free to tell me to poke it, is to enjoy it like that for a few months. Then, when you get bored with it or involved with the next project, come back to it with a good strong matt varnish, and make it as close to perfect as any Typhoon model I've ever seen.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I looked at your Typhoon this morning but didn't post a comment because I honestly couldn't decide whether or not I liked the stressed skin effect (SSE). Since then I've thought it over a lot, looked at my own reference books and done some googling for photos. Now I can say with assurance that in some ways I really like it, and in others, I don't. Lol. That's not very helpful criticism, is it?

Before I get into the SSE, let me say how much I admire the build. I can find no faults at all. It's marvellous. So is the painting. So are the decals. This is top quality stuff and if I'm honest, I'm a little envious of your skills. It's a competition winner for sure.

But the SSE kept niggling at me like it was stuck in my teeth. At first I thought it was really overdone and couldn't remember seeing anything like it on photos but when I looked for it, there it was, on the side of the fuselage aft of the cockpit. It was casting shadows in the raking light coming from above. I couldn't find any sign of it on the wings though. I don't know if it was there, I think it probably was, but it wasn't visible because the light was falling onto the wings perpendicularly and casting no shadows. The paintwork being matt, it was also throwing no reflections.

I see your SSE very clearly all over the airframe and it seems overdone because of the shiny reflections which double the effect, if the surface is deformed by, say, five degrees, the reflection will move ten. So I now think that your SSE is just about right, not too exaggerated at all. It's just that shine! If it was matt finished, you would have difficulty photographing it and we wouldn't see it at all on the wings, which would be perfect.

However, you've spent years on this special feature and of course you don't want it to be so subtle that most viewers won't even notice it. I certainly wouldn't. The actual process was done as brilliantly as the rest of the build (I'm including the riveting as part of the process) and if it was mine, I'd have wanted to do it in chrome so everyone would know. lol

So my suggestion, which you haven't asked for, so please feel free to tell me to poke it, is to enjoy it like that for a few months. Then, when you get bored with it or involved with the next project, come back to it with a good strong matt varnish, and make it as close to perfect as any Typhoon model I've ever seen.

Cheers for the honest feedback mate. Like I said in my original post, this was very much an experiment more than anything else. Regards to the sse on the wing, the typhoon as a little bit going there. 
p?i=a61cc602588ef67ec9f0e804cc70e886

I think the actual job is not as glossy as it is in the pics. They did have a bit of shine to them sometimes, and I just didn’t want I bury all of my painful work with a super flat coat.

thanks again for the input. Greatly appreciated 👍

7 hours ago, dov said:

Excellent done.

What I highly recomend on your build is, the demarcation of camo.

It is not sharp lined, it has an area where it changes. Quite small, but there.

Wonderful!!!

To improove a little bit:

The surface looks too glossy:

Here I recomend Gunze GX 112, GX 113 and GX 114.

With this, you can create also a smooth medium flat if you like. 114

The less color you need, so better it is.

Also extrem glossy. 112

Or extrem flat 113.

This is for me the best way after 25 years modelling.

Happy modelling

Thanks mate. I used AK’s camo putty for the demarcation in camo. Gives it a slight feathering. See original post regarding finishing with semi gloss.

17 minutes ago, Kov1985 said:

Cheers for the honest feedback mate. Like I said in my original post, this was very much an experiment more than anything else. Regards to the sse on the wing, the typhoon as a little bit going there. 
p?i=a61cc602588ef67ec9f0e804cc70e886

I think the actual job is not as glossy as it is in the pics. They did have a bit of shine to them sometimes, and I just didn’t want I bury all of my painful work with a super flat coat.

thanks again for the input. Greatly appreciated 👍

The build deserved a full review. 
That photo under the wing is good to see as it proves my guess correct. And you can always say it’s been raining, shiny when wet! 

• Thanks 1

Incredible ... Honestly though, patience like this scares me a little. I mean, if you have the patience to do something like this, what else might you have the patience for? Slow and gradual world domination by stealth? Construction of weapons of mass destruction? God forbid .... watching "Friends" reruns with the wife? *shudder* Doesn't bear thinking about! 

Seriously though ... Holy Moly! 👏👏👏

18 minutes ago, Murewa said:

Incredible ... Honestly though, patience like this scares me a little. I mean, if you have the patience to do something like this, what else might you have the patience for? Slow and gradual world domination by stealth? Construction of weapons of mass destruction? God forbid .... watching "Friends" reruns with the wife? *shudder* Doesn't bear thinking about! 

Seriously though ... Holy Moly! 👏👏👏

Haha. Rest assured, I’d rather poke my eyes with blunt sticks than do that.