Airfix 1/144 BAC Aerospatiale Concorde (BOAC) (05170-3)

My build of the Airfix 1/144 BAC Aerospatiale Concorde (BOAC) (05170-3)

This was a 1970s boxing with decals that were shot so I used a set from a 2021 Vintage Classic release. The white plastic of the old kit was a joy to work with.

Concorde_144_BOAC_2021_GB_054.JPG

Concorde_144_BOAC_2021_GB_055.JPG

Concorde_144_BOAC_2021_GB_056.JPG

Concorde_144_BOAC_2021_GB_057.JPG

Concorde_144_BOAC_2021_GB_058.JPG

Concorde_144_BOAC_2021_GB_059.JPG

Concorde_144_BOAC_2021_GB_060.JPG

Concorde_144_BOAC_2021_GB_061.JPG

Concorde_144_BOAC_2021_GB_062.JPG

BTW, here it is alongside two more Concordes well on the road to completion. There is a 70s Air France boxing using home-made decals. The BAC prototype is the grey plastic Vintage Classics release with F-DCAL decals:
Concorde_144_BOAC_2021_GB_052.JPG

Dave

• Like 30

Knowing as little as I do about the Concorde, does your model represent a mockup or an actual prototype? The colors make me think it's a mockup but I'm open to correction.

47 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Knowing as little as I do about the Concorde, does your model represent a mockup or an actual prototype? The colors make me think it's a mockup but I'm open to correction.

This kit first appeared when Concorde was still in the design stages and is probably a mix of mock up and prototype features(: pre-production and production examples differed significantly from this, notably front fuselage and cockpit and rear fuselage and  fin.  The markings are based on the then-current BOAC and Air France liveries which were later revised to give the airframes and their occupants better protection from solar radiation encountered at the higher altitudes at which Concorde operated.

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

As @stever219 says, it isn't based on an actual machine. Airfix based it on an artist's impression.

Dave

22 hours ago, JoshuaM said:

You have quite the collection of concordes. 

When in the RAF Cadets we had a summer camp at RAF Brize Norton and were taken on a visit to nearby Fairford. At the time this was the base used for testing Concorde and recall the somewhat surreal experience of entering this hanger where there must have been about half a dozen Concordes - prototypes, pre-production and production aircraft parked (it was a few months before Concorde entered service).  I 'm pretty sure I didn't dreamt it... but then again I don't recall ever seeing a photo of this incredible sight! 😮

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

Nice one Dave, it’s good to see a Concorde in a scheme that was originally suggested for the aircraft, but overtaken by events at the time!.  Always looks so good with wheels up and straight nose, difficult to believe the design is so old now, it still looks futuristic to me!

• Like 1