The Forbidden Subject ! .

Don149

I`m talking about the forthcoming big Lancaster kit , and I hope Mike hears me out before shooting me down .

I want to know about THE KIT ! . Like other modellers I want to know what`s in the box , all we have seen to date

are the test shots from W/Wings and the box art , brilliant that it is but I`d like to know what I`m getting for my

pennies , ( pennies ? ) . We hope someone with some gen . on this kit can bring us up to date . Reading the ad . on

Hannants website it mentions an F 20 rear turret and a 120 one , what`s the difference ? , I thought the only other

one was the Rose turret with the twin 50 s . Can anyone " in the know " say what the markings are , and will there

be any metal parts , will there be canopy / turret masks as in Tamiya kits ? . This big kit is going to make quite an

entrance when it is launched , whenever that will be ! .

Personally , I can`t wait for the Royal Mail Parcelforce driver coming up to my door with a large box in his hands .

Give us the latest gen on this beauty someone , please .

Don .

P S . Mike did the right thing when he pulled the plug on the last postings about this kit , they`d gone ridiculous '

O.M.G.! My first thought as I saw the price was they must be nutz! 😱

But, seeing the parts in the emodels site, well, it is probably worth it. Well, in the same way that an Aston Martin is worth it.

I wonder what that beast weighs?

1 hour ago, Julien said:

If we are just talking about "the kit" it’s fine, nothing else pls.

Would it be allowed to ask how much "$900 Australian" is in real money?

Excuse my ignorance, but what part of the discussion is verboten? (where is the flame war I didn't notice?)

5 minutes ago, Jochen Barett said:

Would it be allowed to ask how much "$900 Australian" is in real money?

900,00 Australian Dollar =573,84 Euro

Gotta love those online currency converters :P

---

I think the idea of this topic is to find out what specific details would be available - such as the different turret styles, early/late  perspex nose dome...

Without triggering the whole other :worms: about this kit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jochen Barett said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what part of the discussion is verboten? (where is the flame war I didn't notice?)

Plenty of 'interesting' reading in the Rumourmonger section.

I think @tonyot has given us the best available info so far, no doubt there will be more to come soon!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

900,00 Australian Dollar =573,84 Euro

Gotta love those online currency converters :P

---

I think the idea of this topic is to find out what specific details would be available - such as the different turret styles, early/late  perspex nose dome...

Without triggering the whole other :worms: about this kit.

One of the links that I posted does say which turrets, propellers, bomb aimers blisters, bomb loads are included and shows the sprues. ...... if you can find more at the moment,...... fire away! 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Plenty of 'interesting' reading in the Rumourmonger section.

I think @tonyot has given us the best available info so far, no doubt there will be more to come soon!

Thanks Alan,...... at least somebody appreciates it! 

• Like 2

Thank you Tonyot , those webs answer all my queries bar two , " when " and will the cowl panels be detachable , if they are I`ll build all

four engines ! . Back in the late `40s , in the Air Cadets we were able to walk/crawl through several Lancs and Lincolns , even had a half

hour trip in one and never realized there was so much detail in the real one . That will be  one heck of a build ! . My only problem is where

to park it when finished ! , `may have dispose of my parked HK one " The Phantom of the Ruhr " . my house is full , sob ! .

Don . 

21 hours ago, dnl42 said:

O.M.G.! My first thought as I saw the price was they must be nutz! 😱

But, seeing the parts in the emodels site, well, it is probably worth it. Well, in the same way that an Aston Martin is worth it.

I wonder what that beast weighs?

£620 for a plastic kit, As they say on TV, I'm out.......

• Like 1

What a stunning kit,personally I would be scared stiff to make a start on it! Lets face it if you were to do it the justice it deserves

it could be a one or two year build,that evens out at £51 a month for one  £25 a month for a two year build,now I had a peruse down

my LMS today and was gobsmacked at the price rises since I last took note our favourite UK maker now hitting £25-30 for a 1/72 twin

and touching £50 for the new Vulcan (I'm by no way Knocking them just look at Tamiya,Hasegawa and Italeri for some real sky high

pricing) so from what is in the box it starts to make sense add to that the fact prices may fall when UK importer's get them,now where did

I put my Christmas list?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, JPuente54 said:

Will need a large amount of paint for it. Maybe Jamie @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies, and Stew @Stew Dapple can fill pint/quart pans/tins of their great Colourcoats for you to paint it?

Agreed, Colourcoats Night has no equal in the modelling world, the slight indigo tint and beautiful smooth finish is making me impatient for this kit already...!

I suspect some will buy and then wait for the price to go even higher once it's OOP

I also found this whilst browsing,

"In late 1944 a modified FN.20 was introduced and, as this incorporated new parts, it was designated the Type FN.120. The weight was reduced by 18 kg (40 lb) and some of the main structural members were redesigned. The most popular feature from the gunner's point of view was an improved heating system".

spacer.png

Details of the Type FN.20 Tail Turret

Position in aircraft: Tail
Motive power: Hydraulic motor
Armament: Four 7.7 mm (0.3030 in) Browning Mk.II guns
Ammunition: 2,500 rounds per gun; 1,900 in fuselage boxes, 600 in feed tracks
Ammunition feed: FN hydraulic servo feed from fuselage boxes
Gunsight: Mk.III free mounted reflector sight; Mk.IIC gyro gunsight
Fire control: Palmer electric
Field of view:
Traverse: 94 degrees to each beam
Elevation: 60 degrees
Depression: 45 degrees
Weight of turret (empty): 148 kg (325 lb)
Weight (operational): 614 kg (1,350 lb) = gunner - 82 kg (180 lb); guns - 40 kg (88 lb); ammo - 218 kg (480 lb); boxes - 15 kg (33 lb); tracking - 23 kg (50 lb)
Diameter of ring: (30 1/2 in)
Armour (when fitted): 9 mm (0.354 in) armoured plates to front aspect

Regards

Colin.

• Like 3

Sorry, just to add that the Fn120 was used in late-production Lancaster and Wellington bombers, and the FN121 was a further development with the facility for the addition of ‘Village Inn’ gunlaying radar.

Regards

Colin.

Edited by fishplanebeer

12 hours ago, stevej60 said:

What a stunning kit,personally I would be scared stiff to make a start on it! Lets face it if you were to do it the justice it deserves

it could be a one or two year build,that evens out at £51 a month for one  £25 a month for a two year build,now I had a peruse down

my LMS today and was gobsmacked at the price rises since I last took note our favourite UK maker now hitting £25-30 for a 1/72 twin

and touching £50 for the new Vulcan (I'm by no way Knocking them just look at Tamiya,Hasegawa and Italeri for some real sky high

pricing) so from what is in the box it starts to make sense add to that the fact prices may fall when UK importer's get them,now where did

I put my Christmas list?

Well - I it helps looking at it that way but still, it is ALOT for a plastic kit. On the other hand, I like that fact it is plastic and not resin and/or 3D-printed (the whole kit).

Speaking of Airfix.. A bit ridicolous when their P-51d for example, is as expensive as the Eduard one (here) - yet quite alot inferior in most areas. I like Airfix but they do not have the best details not fit. Fix that and we can talk..

• Like 1

Judging from the test shots on the Border Models website and @tonyot's links, the amount of detailing on the surfaces with stressed skin & riveting all over is something else.. 

1-21102400044KC.jpg

1-21102400044E36.jpg

1-211024000452F1.jpg

That is a LOT of expensive work in the tooling. Not surprised at all with the price tag.

• Like 1