Lemans 66Ford GT40 MKII Miles dilemma

This is the 1/12 scale Trumpeter modeI  I built 2-3 years ago , as you all probably know its Ken miles car .

the pros : the parts are very well executed and there are photo etch and chromed parts and sprues . All the rubber tubes , braided wires and connectors are included. The decals are excellent and fit well .

the cons : the ridiculous vynil tire decals . The pin on the lower back end of the crank is extremely weak and when connecting the lower rear wishbone it cracks easily . I made a thicker one from sprue and inserted the wishbone . You have to spend some time to calibrate and get the doors to open and close tightly . The electric distributor between the carburetor and the bulkhead is missing . That’s a shame since we could have added the wiring .

Windshield :The windshield does not fit , The best way to go about it is to sand 0.5 mm top and same lower of the cockpit frame  using a very coarse grit paper something below 300 grit before you prime the cockpit .  

The colors : the body color is acrylic Tamiya sky blue 100%  and white 30% give and take , you might want to add more white than I did . I used the airbrush and went over 3 times .The gloss was can Mr Color 2 times . The flash is bright red laquer Tamiya . The rear end of the chassis is royal blue . Exhaust is burnt iron .

The Flash: I used my eye to go around using tape and then airbrushed . I should have first applied white but i forgot . Its laquer on acrylic and there was no reaction .

The Tire decals : They are from indycals .

The photoetch : All the grills are photoetch .

The Air ducts : The kit supplies you with 2 rubber airducts to connect the brakes hub to the air duct inlet to the right and left of the wheels .they are excellent material easy to cut or shorten , manipulate and glue thus allowing the wheel to swing correctly in both directions .

Connectors : The high pressure oil connectors are all chromed and stand out when applying the clear red and blue .

The braided wires : You have to paint them silver or chrome .

The bucket seats : Painted the rings with chrome silver using the triple 0 brush . The seats are flat black . the seat belts are a mix of photoetch and chromed parts .

The wheels : they are out of the box , I did not paint . The tires are correct and well grooved .

5010 4971 4970 4969 4968 5028 5016 5015 4973 4974 4978 4979_0 4987 4989 4992 4995 4996 4999 5006 5007 5009 5011 5012 5013 5014

5537 5535

Edited by oldman
  • Like 13