Airfix 1/72 A6M2 Zero

jean

Hi everyone,

not happy to enter my unfinished Etendard IV M in the KUTA GB, I have decided to throw in as well the 1/72 Airfix A6M2 Zero.

Shame on me! This build was started in April 2014 on this very site...

Not sure why I stopped then. Possibly because I was unhappy with the canopy, but all these years later I tell myself that only Zero afficionados will notice any problem. I can live with that.

I had already painted the underside and most of the small ancillary equipment, so really there is mainly the topside to paint.

This is what has decided me to finish this Zero ASAP.

See you soon.

JR

• Like 6

Hi everyone,

still too hot to really get into modelling... Today a balmy 43 Celsius.

I am posting a few photos to show you the state of affairs.

As mentioned before, I am planning for a short build, and then I can lavish some TLC on the Etendard IV M.

To refresh your memory, here is the box:

Zero 10

And here is the model as it stands:

Zero 9

Zero 8

Zero 13

I had added some self-made masks, but as I found a pocket of Eduard masks, I am going to use them instead, as they have nicely rounded angles.

So the first order of business will be to remove the existing masks...

Here are some of the bits and pieces already painted or just needing some finishing touches.

Zero 12

And last but not least, after many moons of being prodded by SWMBO, I have finally left the desk in our bedroom and moved everything to the upper floor mezzanine. It is hotter, being right under the thatched roof, but I love the view:

Zero 11

Have fun!

JR

• Like 14

5 hours ago, jean said:

still too hot to really get into modelling... Today a balmy 43 Celsius.

Wow! In about 7 to 8 months, it may get up to that temperature here. Right now, it's -8C outside and winter weather has only started. By January/February, it could easily get down to -43C.

Chris

P.S. I'll be following this build.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Wow! In about 7 to 8 months, it may get up to that temperature here. Right now, it's -8C outside and winter weather has only started. By January/February, it could easily get down to -43C.

Chris

P.S. I'll be following this build.

-8 Celsius? You lucky so and so!!!!!

This is music to my ears...

JR

I really mean it when I say I want a quick finish...

The hand-cut canopy masks have been removed and the Eduard ones stuck on. They look a lot better than my previous attempt.

Now I am searching for the right paints for the topside green... 

Zero 14

Have fun.

JR

• Like 7

Hi everyone,

The first coat of green upper camouflage has been brush painted (Humbrol enamels).

It looks the usual mess, but this is just a transient state.

Zero 15

Cheers and have fun.

JR

• Like 6

The upper green is finished and I am quite happy, as it brush painted nicely.

Some orange touch-ups to do on the underside, and then gloss varnish for the decals.

Nice little kit.

Zero 16

Have fun!

JR

• Like 7

Hi,

engine and cover painted and glued in place.

It is now starting to look like a Zero. Still haven't done the orange-yellow touch-ups underneath.

Thereafter some micromeshing, gloss varnish and the decals can be applied.

I am getting impatient.

Zero 17

Cheers.

JR

• Like 8

Hi all,

I have had to face challenges of my own making... again.

I had to do quite a few touch ups, but Iran out of Humbrol 154 yellow, which I used in the mix for the underside orange-yellow. Instead I used a Humbrol chrome yellow and while wet, it looked perfect. 

Unfortunately, when dry it turned out to be a disaster... So I had to remove it with white spirit, while trying to keep the original paint from disappearing... It could have been worse.

That is when I decided to use a wash to hide some of my mess and give some life to the underside. I did it straight on the paint, without any clear varnish.

Not too bad I believe, which is a relief!

Next some clear gloss on the orange-yellow, then decals, another clear gloss layer and then matt varnish.

Thereafter, the same will be repeated on  the top.

I am using Humbrol Clear Cote, which remains quite tacky for a very long time hence the real risk to mess up the paint job. So it needs covering ASAP with matt varnish that turns quickly dry to the touch.

It can be a pain sometimes to live where nothing can be found... but I like challenges.

Here is a photo of the work in progress on the underside of the model.

Zero 18

Have fun.

JR

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff JR

That patio of yours look lovely but the chairs seem a bit small for Steve to sit at the table with you to enjoy the view ?

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

good to see you are back!

Steve never joins us, although he uses the steps going down to the Chateau, and sadly I did not design them for a 1.5 ton hippo! So some early wear and tear... Wait until he reaches 3-odd tons.

But the baboons do join us. All very civilized!

Cheers mate

JR

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2021 at 9:08 PM, jean said:

Possibly because I was unhappy with the canopy, but all these years later I tell myself that only Zero afficionados will notice any problem. I can live with that.

Gidday Jean, I think you're right. I'm a ship modeler although I know what a Zero was, but I wouldn't know if the kit had inaccuracies or not. I would simply like the look of it. But I also understand how you would not be happy in yourself knowing of such inaccuracies - I feel the same with errors in my ship kits.

13 hours ago, jean said:

But the baboons do join us. All very civilized!

I trust they hold their tea-cups with their little fingers raised? Seriously, you have a magnificent view from your loft - not conducive to concentrating on modeling I'd imagine. 🙂 And I do like the visiting wildlife, except when they help themselves to my wife's vegie garden and fruit trees. 😠 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

decalling is now ongoing, so here is a picture to prove it!

As Sod's Law would have it, we got a massive gust of dust-laden wind as I was going to take the pics...

I decided to leave the dust, just  to show what bush modelling can be like.

I hope I will be able to remove it all from the gloss varnish.

Have fun!

JR

Zero 19

to

• Like 5

After a few days in the capital city and after dealing with life's quirky sense of humor, I have resumed the decaling of the Zero.

The upper side is pretty much finished and I am tackling the underside.

The only photo I know of this airframe shows that the hinomaru on the underside of the wings have a white border, which Airfix have all forgotten about.

As this is only the second Japanese plane I have ever built, my spare decals are pretty non-existent.

So I have cut circles from white decal and superimposed the Airfix roundels.

I definitely should lay off the strong coffee, because to center the red disk on the white was fun! One more to go!!!

Anyway, here is a picture showing the decaling in motion.

Zero 20

Have fun!

JR

• Like 4

The white hinomaru surround would not be present on front-line aircraft with light grey underside, which is what Airfix assumed this to be.  The orange-yellow underside is for training units, as I presume you know, and the white would thus be required for visibility.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The white hinomaru surround would not be present on front-line aircraft with light grey underside, which is what Airfix assumed this to be.  The orange-yellow underside is for training units, as I presume you know, and the white would thus be required for visibility.

Hi Graham,

yes, I am fully aware of it, but thank you for the mention. 

I normally do not do training aircraft, but I am a sucker for bright colors!

JR

• Haha 1

Hi everyone,

the decals have been glued. a second coat of gloss varnish and a last coat of matt varnish have been applied.

Canopy masks removed, and it does look like a Zero!

I am quite happy so far.

Now I need to finish the weathering and add all the little bits.

I have a slight issue: I am out of Humbrol 158 yellow, which I need to mix the orange yellow for the outside of the landing gear doors... So the model will be finished without the orange, and when I (hopefully) manage to get a new tinlet from South Africa in the new year, I will give the finishing brush strokes. The joys of living in the middle of nowhere...

Here are two photos showing the progress:

Zero 22

Zero 21

Have fun!

JR

• Like 8

Looking great! Hopefully, you get that paint soon.

I can identify with living in the middle of nowhere. I live up in the middle of the great boreal forest. There's a small First Nations community about a 40 minute drive to the north. There is nothing but trees for hundreds of kilometres to the west. There is an old summer use only road to the east, but again, it's a couple hour drive to another small First Nations community. It's a two hour drive south, at 110 kph, to get out of the trees and into farmland. There you find a small farming community, with about 100 people living there. From there, it's another 2.5 hour drive south, to get to Edmonton and the first good hobby shop.

Such is life, up here, on The Backside of Beyond.

Chris

59 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Looking great! Hopefully, you get that paint soon.

I can identify with living in the middle of nowhere. I live up in the middle of the great boreal forest. There's a small First Nations community about a 40 minute drive to the north. There is nothing but trees for hundreds of kilometres to the west. There is an old summer use only road to the east, but again, it's a couple hour drive to another small First Nations community. It's a two hour drive south, at 110 kph, to get out of the trees and into farmland. There you find a small farming community, with about 100 people living there. From there, it's another 2.5 hour drive south, to get to Edmonton and the first good hobby shop.

Such is life, up here, on The Backside of Beyond.

Chris

Hi Chris,

so it would appear that there are two Backsides of Beyond!

Although my backside is slightly smaller than yours: only 2 hours to the South to the first village with two supermarkets and a few hardware shops... BUT not a single model shop int he country.

But I would not change it for anything.

Don't forget to put your woolies on when you go out!

JR

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Chris,

so it would appear that there are two Backsides of Beyond!

Although my backside is slightly smaller than yours: only 2 hours to the South to the first village with two supermarkets and a few hardware shops... BUT not a single model shop int he country.

But I would not change it for anything.

Don't forget to put your woolies on when you go out!

JR

Yes, two backsides! You're on one cheek and I'm on the other!

I don't need my woolies on today. It's only -7C right now. Yesterday morning, at 8:00 am, it was -29C. That is thumb-sucking cold!

Chris

• Haha 1

Hi everyone,

almost finished!

I have to finish the weathering (pastel powder) for the exhaust stains and guns, and then I can fit the landing gear, aerial mast, etc.

So this coming week should see me declaring this Zero finished. It won't have made much of a dent on my shelf of doom, but it is a tiny step in the right direction!

Here is a photo showing the state of progress:

Zero 23

Cheers and have fun!

JR

• Like 9

Hi,

the end is nigh, and it is a good thing.

I am left with the landing gear and the aerial mast.

Unfortunately, I will only be able to post this Zero in the gallery in January, after I have received my tin of Humbrol 158 yellow from South Africa via our "runner".

I am nonetheless gluing everything, including the landing gear doors and tail wheel with the white primer outer surfaces.

A quick touch-up will sort that out in January and then the Zero will be finally finished.

Here is a photo of the underside as it stands now, just awaiting the landing gear.

Zero 24

Have fun.

JR

• Like 6

I am busy with the landing gear, and just when I would have liked some support struts. there are none, and I find the legs a tad too wobbly... Can't win.

So if I do not stuff up, the Zero will be finished this weekend.

Zero 25

JR

• Like 6