F-100D - Tuy Hoa - Trumpeter 1/48

What a superb build @toniosky!!! Despite not being my preferred scale it is deserving of much praise :). I particularly like your back end weathering. How did you get that? By sanding back layers of paints?

I have not been keen on the Trumper until now due to its nose shape issues etc but your mods have proved me wrong. I have all the aftermarket that you mention (except the napalm tanks) so my next will be 100% Trumper :). Nice. What out for that @Wez ;). 

Martin

• Like 1

Thank you for all those very nice comments, I am happy that you like my work 🙂

On 11/11/2021 at 4:43 PM, 72modeler said:

Oh, my- what an incredible model! Best Hun build I have seen in any scale! What the others have said, plus:

RBF tags very realistically hung

Wheel hubs perfectly painted and stained

Hot section the most realistically portrayed of any F-100 build I can recall

Fuse wires on bomb load

Corrected sit of the main gear struts

Now you need to do an F-100F WW to go with this one...maybe Bud Day's Hun?

Mike

The RBF tags are from HGW and are really nice. They look like they are made of some rubbery material and I hope they will last over time, unlike some old rubber bands that can be brittle.

I've been thinking of doing a WW or a FAC. Maybe later 🙂

22 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

It's a beauty - really great to see such a beautifully executed model of "Miss Dial". Thanks for sharing, and I hope you liked the decals.

56-3035.jpg

The decals were excellent and fit the model perfectly !

There were two smaller "035" on the sheet that I couldn't find on the instructions though, and I still wonder where they are supposed to go

21 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Very nice F-100 I have wanted one for a long time.  I'm surprised Trumpeter didn't fix the nose, from what I recall they used to listen to their customers I'm pretty sure they corrected their 32nd Flanker if I recall, would have thought this would have been done as well.

Thank you @Deano353 Trumpeter did not fix the nose which is too flat on the bottom. The problem was not fixed either on the 1/72 and 1/32 kits.

10 hours ago, Electric Indigo said:

The colors and weathering are spot on, congratulations to the result! Also, great work on the little details.

I assume that you didn't apply a panel line wash? Those Trumpeter lines stand out enough on their own IMO.

Thank you. I did apply a light wash using different artist oils depending of the base colour + lighter fluid that allows for subtler effects than using ready-to-use products IMO because you can adjust the pigment load (and cheaper). I also tried to be not too uniform and applied the wash randomly.

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

What a superb build @toniosky!!! Despite not being my preferred scale it is deserving of much praise :). I particularly like your back end weathering. How did you get that? By sanding back layers of paints?

I have not been keen on the Trumper until now due to its nose shape issues etc but your mods have proved me wrong. I have all the aftermarket that you mention (except the napalm tanks) so my next will be 100% Trumper :). Nice.

Martin

Thank you Martin! I am glad my build is motivating you with the kit.

For the back end weathering, you got it right: Sanding.  I am glad that you and others like it because this is the challenge of any f-100 build with a SEA camo.

I did paint the rear with various shades of Alclad and transparent colours. Then I applied some light grey over some panel lines, Micromesh'ed (grain 4000) in order to get that hard edge torn paint effect. Then painted various shades of the base colours mixed with beige/yellow while playing with paint opacity over the previous grey. Micromesh'ed again + protective coat. I ended the process with oil paints and felt pens.

You guys will make me flush. Thank you again for these nice comments.

I am a beginner figure painter but I wanted to share with you this additional pic with the pilot (Aerobonus "F-105 pilot") who looks like more a celeb F-4C pilot than Capt. Lewis but I can live with it 😄

spacer.png

Edited by toniosky
  • Like 2