1/48 Dynavector Fairey Gannet AS-1

ianwau

Ian, you're making great progress! By the way, what colour did you use for the cockpit interiors? I'm building the Trumpeter 1/72 T2 kit as XA514/878 in the same scheme you're doing here, wanting to know if these aircraft had all-black interiors, or was there some Gray Blue as per the Trumpeter instructions?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 10:26 AM, Derek_B said:

By the way, what colour did you use for the cockpit interiors?

Hi Derek, I've just gone for black interior - per the Dynavector instructions, and which matches the reference pics I've managed to glean. Scale effect might well mean a dark gray would do the job. My canopies will be closed up - so won't be much to be seen regardless..

On 1/5/2022 at 11:46 AM, k5054nz said:

this Gannet's link to agricultural aviation!

Hey Zac!  One needs some light relief from time to time!  I'll include some WIP scratch croppies in the background of next progress pix! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2022 at 11:26 PM, Derek_B said:

Ian, you're making great progress! By the way, what colour did you use for the cockpit interiors? I'm building the Trumpeter 1/72 T2 kit as XA514/878 in the same scheme you're doing here, wanting to know if these aircraft had all-black interiors, or was there some Gray Blue as per the Trumpeter instructions?

Royal Navy ones were black, black, and black, apart from the seats that were the lightweight orangy resin affairs with orangy covers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A bit of an update.

Doesn't feel like a great deal to report to be honest - build has been progressing - but not necessarily exciting visible progress.

- Main construction broke out of the lego jig. 

- fitted the rear tailplanes (using a styrene spar and more lego jig to ensure true).

- fitted the white metal nose/engine intake.  Beautiful fit. 

- started fitting the bits and bobs (eg the extra bulge under the port cockpit)

- and a quick coat of rattlecan primer so I can see what's going on.

This confirms my previous views on the fit of this kit being superb.  The wing to fuse join requires NO putty - a simple run of the Revell Contacta cement and that's all it has needed. That comment is for both sides, top and bottom. The tailplane is just the same - NO putty. Don't you wish some of those modern injection kits could achieve the same some 30 years on? 

DSC04062

On 1/5/2022 at 11:46 AM, k5054nz said:

I'm still confused about this Gannet's link to agricultural aviation!

To satisfy Zac I've created in back of shot the necessary link to agricultural aviation....

Just for size comparison - here's a picture showing my recently built Alize - sort of a French counterpart to the Gannet . And the reason my leaning is increasingly to leave the Gannet wings in unfolded mode...  The Alize is the vintage Heller 1:50 kit from 1960 - 60 year old mouldings! The Alize was more work than this Dynavector kit is turning out to be. 

Oh - and another croppie in back of shot for Zac (guesses anyone?).

DSC04066

Next steps:

- keep adding bits and bobs to the Gannet - exhausts, intakes, finlets on the tail.

- move to getting the canopy ready for fitting

- final decision on wingfold vs no wingfold.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

I am not sure how I managed to miss this but I am very glad I have found the thread now! What great work. I have read lots of good stuff about Dynavector, and this just re-inforces that.

Cheers,

Ray

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress to report. There's been a fair bit of fettling and procrastinating in the background but a bit of a milestone for today.

Have pushed ahead with fitting the exhaust fairings (vacform) and the 4 x finlets (white metal). The finlets are very tidy castings - but in doing the prep I twigged that I had 3 x lower finlets and only 1 x upper finlet. Assume that someone else in modeller land has 1 lower and 3 uppers - better check your stash!  Anyway - not a big deal as scratchbuilt a replacement from 2mm sheet styrene

DSC04080

I've finally decided NOT to do the wingfold. Whilst I have the rather expensive and OOP Airwaves PE set for it (came with the original FeeBay kitpurchase) - on balance I know I'm not going to enjoy it.  PE and me - yeh naaaah...

That decision meant I could push ahead with fitting the internals  - which is basically the kit white metal interior + vacform seats + tamiya tape seat belts and control columns.  Being a T2 - the 2nd cockpit needed an instrument panel etc so cobbled something together - painted it mostly black with leather seats.

And with the internals done - I could move ahead with fitting the canopies. Dynavector give you two complete sets of vacform canopies, which would seem to be clear styrene (as an experiment on scrap with Revell Contacta stuck like glue). That was helpful as I keep superglue away from canopies, and the canopy glues I prefer using with conventional injection moulded kits.  The canopies require a degree of fettling and dry fitting. they are a nice fit, but there's basically nothing in the instructions that tell you which surface is supposed to fit where. So plenty of trial and error.

Anyway they're now glued (with Revell Contacta) and I'll be using a bit of "Milliput Black" to blend them in and backfill some of the gaps where I was over-enthusiastic with the fettling vs under-enthusiastic with the dry fitting. It should scrub up nicely though

DSC04083

Next Steps:

- Blend in the canopies

- set up the navigation lights and landing lights (blocks of 'clear' plastic, sanded to profile and polished)

- probably install the undercarriage - I always find it handy for painting having a set of u/c deployed. It speeds up the process for me...

• Like 10

Bit of an update. Not very exciting till we move through to paint so will keep it short

- canopy blended in with black Milliput - handy as if any visible from 'inside' it matches the black interior = no problem!

- canopies masked up using strips of Tamiya tape - and infilled with more strips of Tamiya tape.

DSC04114

And here we go with some rattlecan primer (first black to ensure internal framing looks black, then Grey).

DSC04117

Next steps,

- pretty much up to installing undercarriage, and then prepping for topcoat...

• Like 12

Excellent Job so far. Like several others, I too have the same kit in the stash along with the wing folds. Seeing the wings folded it always reminded me of the Karate Kid( original release, not remake) Following along for future learning. Dynavector kits are great. I wish other vacs were just as good. you get kinda spoiled after building one.

• Like 1

Having picked up my Dynovector Sea Hornet out of the stash I am galloping along now . I built the fuselage about twenty years ago along with the wings but life got in the way and it was left in the cupboard. As said above the quality of everything is outstanding. I put the white metal undercarriage together last night, brilliant castings. Enjoying this Gannet build , looks like it is going to be a winner.

Keith

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sydney weather has rather got in the way of progress on this one. 40 days and 40 nights of incessant rain, floods etc have rather put a dampener on painting. Easter weekend has been brilliant and finally have something to report. 

- In the intervening period I've put the Gannet up  on her stilts.

- at the moment she's an ever so slight tailsitter but there's a fair bit of white metal with the props so not concerned (but rather glad I added a sizable chunk of lead despite the assurances in the instructions it needed none).

- Anyway I've sprayed XF3 flat yellow for the requisite stripes. Yellow is notoriously difficult to get coverage but found that flat paints give a better result (and will it with a varnish later).

- elected to do the yellow first, then mask that for the silver.   Sort of prefer not to mask silver if it can be helped - have had experience with some of the metallic fleck coming away with the masking tape. 

DSC04159

Not long now. Next steps:

- mask off the yellow

- spray silver

- add lots of 'bits' 

• Like 7