1/48 Dynavector Fairey Gannet AS-1

ianwau

On 11/14/2021 at 4:30 PM, ianwau said:

Thanks Zac - in parallel I'm actually doing another obscure cropduster - the PZL LaLa-1. 

Alright, off to do some Googling, thank you! EDIT: Oh, I know that one! Great choice!

12 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Just as a sidebar, wasn't this aircraft brought back to the UK for restoration? Anyone know what happened?

(sorry for the little drift).

As far as I can tell XT752 is still in the US. Not sure when she last flew though.

Edited by k5054nz
a discovery was made
  • Like 1

This was the first kit that I built on return to the hobby in 1997.

I have built several Dynavector kits since and would love to do another Gannet.

They have all built up really well, it is a shame that they are no longer in production.

Look forward to seeing your Gannet completed

• Like 2

A little more progress to report. Main wings are now glued - will need a little bit of putty here and there but a good result.   I have still not decided if I'll do the wingfold - but not too late.  Some build I've seen do all the wingfold cutting before the wing halves are joined - but my thinking is this would be a recipe for misalignment. Keeping in mind there are no locating tabs and the trailing edges are wafer thin.   I have the old Heller 1:50 Alize done in wings down mode - and this'd be a nice juxtaposition (even if the scale is different). 

DSC04006

If I go ahead with the wingfold - it'd be this pose (reminds me of 'The Crane' from the Karate Kid movie).  [photo is linked from Fleet Air Arm Association of Australia]

GannetWingFold.jpg

The more complex piece of work has been prepping the fuse - ie getting the 2 vacform halves to start thinking about joining up.

- added bulkheads to the fuse to give more strength/stability. Kit comes with one - I added one forward of the rear cockpit, and one at the nose. 

- added pretty much a full length tab to the bottom of the fuse - 0.5mm plastic strip with a curve to match fuse cross-section

- ditto a tab in front of the cockpit, And a lump of sprue in the blind centre section at the top between the fore/aft cockpits

- a confession: I actually over-sanded one fuse half in the nose area by a couple of mm. The 'tabs' I've installed up above will provide a sound backing surface for inserting a graft. Not concerned - one of the penalties for enthusiastic sanding with 180 grade!.  

- this work means it now pretty much all dry fits together just like a normal Tamiya kit? Well maybe not quite like a Tamiya - but it's pretty satisfying

- I've given it a quick rattlecan matt black (most of the inside was black)

- and then cut out (a bit less than I'll need to) the fore and aft canopy areas which gives me a good sense of how the interior is going to fit in.

- front wheel well installed too (and doors cut out)   

DSC04004

I'm not planning to go to town on this build - just aiming to get the basics right and the satisfaction of having built a Gannet.

Next steps?  Getting awfully close to gluing the fuse together.  But need to back track and check I'm not missing anything (instructions are a bit sparse)

• Like 15

Looking good. When I first joined the navy, my first squadron was 849 NAS at RNAS Culdrose back in 1964. As a junior NAM, I worked the line, it was always a source of amazement to watch the Gannets unfold before their mission and then refold before they were stowed back in the hangers for the night.

I grew up near the Fairey's factory in lower Stockport but didn't know anything about that.

Colin

On 11/13/2021 at 7:30 PM, ianwau said:

Thanks Zac - in parallel I'm actually doing another obscure cropduster - the PZL LaLa-1.  Thought the Gannet would be of more interest here.

I hope you'll also put up a WIP for the PZL, which is hard into 'and that thing flies?' territory.

Looking very nice so far. You're a brave man - I have the Classic Airframes Gannet and am not in a hurry to start it after the dramas with the Vampire to date! I'm planning to fold the wings on it using the same etch set you have - hopefully it fits!

On 11/22/2021 at 12:34 PM, Silenoz said:

Damn, that would be a nice pose for the wings...

When you are glueing the wings like that, do you add material to strengthen the edges?

When building almost any model with a wing fold you have to put some internal detail as the inside of the wing is exposed. The amount or detail is up to the modeller and what is available not only in the kit but also the after market.

Gondor

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Silenoz said:

Thx, but I meant the wings as they are at the moment. do you reinforce the leading edge, or do you just glue the sanded parts.

Depends on the amount of contact surface between the parts. Plastic rod, sprue/runner/tree works just as well for the inside of the leading edge. For the trailing edge, depends on the aircraft, usually there is enough surface due to most wings tapering to a fairly sharp edge to create enough contact area.  The plastic rod or even brass rod, doweling or other material can be used to create wing spars to give regidity to wings if required, just like in the real things..

Gondor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great see another one of these being built. No builds on Britmodeller? Well I built mine in 2002 long before we had Britmodeller! I think Hyperscale had just started the concept.

This was my 3rd Dynavector after the Sea Vixen and Javelin. I built them all except the Sky Shark with most being built in New Zealand.

Normally I post in the Group build section but there are no GBs at the moment so I came to this section of the forum to post my build of the AEW Ganet and stumbled across this thread. Hows that for a coincidence?

I have lots of reference materials including the Excellent 'Warpaint' book on the Gannet. Let me know if you need any info.

Colin

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully you are progressing withthis build. Just a quick note to say that the wing fold on the AS series is different to the AEW in the pictures above 

Been a little quiet on this one - mainly because I've been dealing with boring bits (cleaning up and fitting the interior, and closing up the fuse).  So jumping ahead a littler bit...

The fuse in now closed up and I've largely dealt with the associated clean up and patch up of some over-exuberant sanding. The main wing to fuse join is a butt joint with precious little plastic on either part to give any confidence it'd stay put.  In addition there is a distinct gull wing section for that inner wing.  The solution of course was to make up a spar which is basically three strips of 2mm thick styrene  - the outer two cut to correct angle for the anhedral (and the inner one just adding a bit more oomph. Obviously a lot of dry fitting to be comfortable with this. Dynavector have really done a brilliant job on this though - the wing/fuse joint is of Tamiya quality - ie no putty will be required...  Others have had similar superlatives about this one. 

Something else I did (alluded to by Silenoz up above)...

On 11/22/2021 at 11:34 PM, Silenoz said:

When you are glueing the wings like that, do you add material to strengthen the edges?

Around the inner surface of each wing (ie at the join), I have glued strips of 0.75mm styrene to strengthen the edges. The Dynavector plastic is pretty thin and this serves to give a bit more meat for the wing/fuse join and to also give a bit more rigidity (fat thumbs will surely squish the wing together at some point..). You might be able to just make out the strips in the right hand wing below....

DSC04030

Thanks Colin for the tip off on the wing fold detail. 

On 12/21/2021 at 12:25 AM, Colin W said:

Just a quick note to say that the wing fold on the AS series is different to the AEW in the pictures above

At this stage I still haven't decided whether I'll push ahead with the wing fold. I wanted to get the main wings fitted first before cutting any wing-fold plastic. That gives me more surety of alignment etc.   I actually have completed the very old ~1/50 Heller Breguet Alize which makes a nice comparison to this one..

Anyway, pushing on. I've now glued the wings on. A bit of time was put in (as usual) to setting up a Lego jig to make sure everything is in alignment across all four dimensions. Whilst this is not usually required for a Tamiya kit - it becomes pretty much essential for vacforms and scratchbuilding where there at best vague connection/alignment points.   You can maybe see what I mean about the wing/fuse joint being of Tamiya quality though - there's just a bead of glue running along it and I think I'm set...    My Lego LAMEs have been enlisted to assist - although maybe a bit too much Xmas cheer involved..  

DSC04034

Here's another shot of the jigged model...  Will be waiting a good 24 hours before that comes out of the jig. 

DSC04033

Just as a taster for Derek_B...

On 11/24/2021 at 2:49 PM, Derek_B said:

Show us the LALA-1 !!!

In back left of the shot - you can see the beginnings of a PZL Lala-1 conversion from the Hobbycraft AN-2. I've done the moulding for the rear 'pod' that houses the jet engine. Better google PZL Lala if you have no idea what I'm rabbiting on about.... Maybe start a WIP thread on that...

Next steps on the Gannet?  Out of the jig. Probably fit the tailplane using similar techniques. Then make a decision on the wingfold vs not...

• Like 12
  • Haha 2