1/48 Dynavector Fairey Gannet AS-1

ianwau

This is a bit of an oldie but a goody.  I've done a search on Britmod on this one - and whilst a couple of matches, didn't spot anyone doing a fully build. This is a rather nice multimedia kit from Dynavector from the last century. Picked this one up on fleabay - it's one of my favourite aircraft (not sure why - it just has some sort of purposeful stance and saw it in a museum at an early age). I'm assuming there'll be a bit of interest in it - reviews suggest this is the best 1/48 Gannet out there???

Below is the box top - showing it's age with a bit of foxing, crushing etc....

Dyna Gannet (1)

Instructions are pretty simple. A bit of assumed knowledge including the ability to read.  Not phased...

Dyna Gannet (5)

Oh - did anyone mention it's a vacform?  But gosh - what beautiful detailing! Just have to crack it out of the skin...

Dyna Gannet (2)

Here's the wings...  

Dyna Gannet (3)

And some rather fine white metal to go along with it...  Oh, and TWO identical vacform canopies

Dyna Gannet (4)

As a bit of a bonus - the fleabay purchase came with the rather nice Airwaves wingfold (the penalty being all the prep required to fit it!). Not 100% sure I'll use it to be honest - maybe just one wing???

Dyna Gannet (6)

The plan is for this to be an Aussie RAN scheme.  

Always a bit of a chore (not THAT unpleasant) in getting the main vacform bits prepped/sanded etc - will post some progress pics

• Like 26

Hello Ian,

I also have this kit but I've been waiting for someone to come along and do a WiP before I start it.  I shall be following along avidly! :thumbsup:

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK - and away we go.   This post is a bit of "Vacform 101" - so apologies in advance to those who've been there, done that.  My initial interest is getting the main bits (ie wings/fuse/tail) cast adrift from their vacform bonds.  

• started with a black texta line around all the pieces - mostly to be clear where I have to scalpel vs not scalpel.
  • then scalpel round the edges. Not right ON the edge just a little away.  The more 'away' you are the more sanding you'll have to do. 
  • then snap the moulded part away from the plastic sheet - very satisfying process this....
  • At which point you have lots of Gannet pieces all looking a bit rough round the edges. 
  • As shown in the photo below - I've applied a whole lot of 'tabs' of masking tape. This is painters tape sourced from the local hardware - not super cheap stuff that falls off when it gets a bit wet.  The idea is that I can use these as grips between my fingers when I'm sanding. You don't HAVE to do this - but from experience, you're going to end up with fingertips sanded through to the bone without something similar...

DSC03991

So let's get onto sanding.

• My standard setup is a full sheet of wet-and-dry sandpaper  - in this case 180 grade which is pretty course, but when there's s job to be done....  You could use 240 grade if you're patient or 400 grade if you're alot patient.  But the result really isn't much different.
  • the sandpaper sheet is just lying on a large ceramic tile (leftover from a bathroom resto). But the sandpaper+tile is effectively clamped to a workbench as its annoying when the sandpaper slides all over the place. 
  • I sand wet. Very wet.
  • And then you sand, sand, sand using the masking tape tabs as handy holds for your fingers and shifting position often so you're not wearing down one side vs the other. Not too much pressure - just lots of water.
  • Then the MOST satisfying part (the vacform aficianados will surely agree!) is when you see slivers of plastic magically appear on the sandpaper (see pic below).  This means you've sanded through that bit of overcut mentioned up above - and a really good idea to stop sanding (or just carefully preference those bits that haven't slivered yet...)
  • Now this might all sound really tedious - but the fuse half below would have taken 10 mins (max) to get to the stage shown
  • So 2 fuse halves, 4 wing halves, 4 tailplane halves were all done in an hour and a half (the photo timestamp confirms it!).  Whilst the fingers were looking a bit prune-like - the fingertips were intact.

DSC03992

So here we are with all the sanding done. And the next bit of prep begins - cutting out the wheel wells, cockpits - and installing bulkheads and tabs in prep for joining fuse, wing etc. 

DSC03994

And also started assembling the cockpit. Lot's of nice detailed whitemetal. Interestingly this kit doesn't require any noseweight (apparently) - as there's so much whitemetal forward of the CofG.  I think I'll put some in anyway...

DSC03996

A question for the brains trust.   I've decided I'll be finishing this as a T2 Trainer - alternate parts for which are conveniently included in the kit.  A small issue though is that the kit doesn't include alternate parts for the rear (ie Trainers) cockpit who presumably had an instrument panel vs the standard 'writing desk'?    Can anyone direct me to photos of the rear (Trainers) cockpit for the T2 Gannet?  Google not being real helpful - other than outside pics of BAPC309....   Here's a pic of the planned scheme (courtesy of Fleet Air Arm Association of Australia...

GannetExtra-1-768x274.jpg

Next steps.   Cut out wheel wells, cockpits, install bulkheads etc

• Like 22

2 hours ago, ianwau said:

O

A question for the brains trust.   I've decided I'll be finishing this as a T2 Trainer - alternate parts for which are conveniently included in the kit.  A small issue though is that the kit doesn't include alternate parts for the rear (ie Trainers) cockpit who presumably had an instrument panel vs the standard 'writing desk'?    Can anyone direct me to photos of the rear (Trainers) cockpit for the T2 Gannet?  Google not being real helpful - other than outside pics of BAPC309....   Here's a pic of the planned scheme (courtesy of Fleet Air Arm Association of Australia...

GannetExtra-1-768x274.jpg

Next steps.   Cut out wheel wells, cockpits, install bulkheads etc

I have a maintenance manual for the T.5 and some pics from XG.888 at Nowra, I'll have a hunt and see what I can find

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You will enjoy this build, this was my first ever vacform, built using the exact technique you have used above, it works a treat with nice and thin trailing edges etc. 

It had to be done as the Gannet is my favourite type, and it builds superbly and looks as good as an injection kit when complete.

I will try and find some T.2 stuff later,

28878467902_73b06e962a_b.jpg

Dynavector Fairey Gannet AS.1 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Excellent work so far and following with interest.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2021 at 11:29 AM, bootneck said:

Hello Ian,

I also have this kit but I've been waiting for someone to come along and do a WiP before I start it.  I shall be following along avidly! :thumbsup:

cheers,
Mike

Same stand for me !!

Hello Ian !!

May I take a seat at the bar, just looking over your shoulder ??

Great start and great cleaning !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Love the Gannet too, I don't  have this kit in the stash, but a Revell 72nd kit with Alleycat wingfold. I will be very interested on how this progresses.

Chris

We seem to suffer from the same sea illness.... :rofl2:

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Here's the Pilot's Notes pictures of the T.2 centre cockpit

Excellent!  Thank you for that - a great base to work from. 

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

it builds superbly and looks as good as an injection kit when complete.

And your own build looks superb - I hope I can achieve something of that quality. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, k5054nz said:

When I wondered to myself what you'd do next I'd never have guessed a Gannet!! How exciting!

Thanks Zac - in parallel I'm actually doing another obscure cropduster - the PZL LaLa-1.  Thought the Gannet would be of more interest here.

• Like 2

I always rated Dynavector. I built their Hornet F.3, a Wyvern and a Skyshark, all in 1:48 and all of which went together really easily considering they were vacforms. I’m looking forward to following this build. 👍

• Like 2