KP models 1:72 dh88 Comet

aharris57

This is a replacement thread for my old topic which has gone invisible for some reason.  Old posts should be accessible here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235099702-kp-models-172-dh88-comet/ and I'll add new ones below.  @alt-92 @billn53 @VG 33 @Darknark @Tentacles you'll need to re-follow this new thread if you're interested to see how the Comet turns out :)

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Nearly ready for paint.  The canopy is on and I've attached the exhaust pipes.  These are so small I found it impossible to clean up the massive sprue gates before attachment, and once on the model I couldn't do much with them either.  Just the tail skid left to attach before priming.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Two q's if I may: 1) How can I mask the undercarriage bays; 2) What's best to remove rubbing down dust before painting?  Cheers.

• Like 3

Yes, it works.

Toilet tissue or kitchen paper towel, scrunched up and carefully pushed into the hole, then some water dribbled on it. It can be carefully moved around to really block off the hole. Remove carefully using tweezers after spraying

• Like 1

Wet tissue works, but if you let it dry make sure to re-wet it before attempting to remove.

I use foam (the kind used to stuff animals) which I find easier to poke into openings and remove when finished. Depending on how the wheel wells are done, I sometimes create a 'well' for the foam by lining the well walls with Tamiya tape. 

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

Rubbish weather led to a fruitful afternoon of Comet construction.  First off I primed the beast by spraying it with a highly thinned coat of Mr Surfacer 500.  This was an experiment.  I was pleased with the result, a matt surface with a very fine texture.

spacer.png

I practiced first on a gash Lynx helo fuselage I had in the spares box.  I tried spraying the Lynx with Mr Color gloss black, but the gloss wasn't really shining on the primer, so I decided to wet sand the model with 2000 grade paper to reduce the primer texture.  I also took the opportunity to fill a few pinholes that showed up in the filler on the fuselage spine behind the canopy.  Primer shows up every defect!  Then ready for the topcoats ...

spacer.png

And there you have it, Black Magic is finally black.  Also made a start on spraying the props, wheels and mudguards.  With a fair wind I might get it finished next week.

• Like 8

More progress today.  First off the undercarriage wheels and mudguards go on.  Easier than expected.

spacer.png

Then time to unmask the canopy, apply some decals and cement on the props:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The decals are extremely thin and need handling with care!  Every gold decal you can see broke up an application and had to be carefully rebuilt in position on the aircraft.  Both fuselage registrations broke up completely and could not be salvaged.  Do I fork out $30 for another kit, just to risk the same outcome?  If I do I shall cut the registration into individual letters and apply it a bit at the time.  Spacing it will be a pain but safer than risking it in one go again.

I still need to do the underwing registration and deal with the nose light.  Getting there slowly.

Finally, here's something I disagree with!

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hi, just caught up with this and it has put up a bit if a fight  great perseverance and great work on this.  It is looking rather splendid after your efforts.

I had the same issue with the decals from the KP Piper Pawnee kit .  Luckily I wasn't doing a crop duster so didn't require the decals. I used parts of the decals sheet for another kit and noted that when immersed in warm water, tge decals separated from ghe backing sheet immediately and crack up a bit too.  

Your idea of separating the letters is a good one, do you have any liquid decal film , as it may be worth applying this  to the decals on ghe sheet before you apply and that may help stop breaking up.

Great work on this. 

Chris

• Like 1

Real Black magic :)

fwiw:

I've used different approaches to decals with KP kits, water at room temp & a quick soak,  or just cutting them out and wetting the decal on the (cleaned) cutting mat.  Then, when they start shifting slightly, apply them - haven't had major issues doing it that way. 

The warm water I reserve for Tamiya's uber-sturdy thick decals :D

• Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 7:04 AM, Black Knight said:

Yes, it works.

Toilet tissue or kitchen paper towel, scrunched up and carefully pushed into the hole, then some water dribbled on it. It can be carefully moved around to really block off the hole. Remove carefully using tweezers after spraying

Clear plastic cling wrap works even better; no water required. The nice thing about it is it sticks to itself and is incredibly thin. I cut a very oversized piece and then gently stuff it into openings with a toothpick. It’s great for protecting painted landing gear legs that you’ve already installed because you don’t run the risk of damaging them .

• Like 3

A week on and I forked out for that second kit.  Glad to say that with much less soaking time (15 seconds in slightly warm water) the fuselage registrations behaved much better and are now firmly affixed to the little Comet.  Also did the underwing rego and stuck the lading light on with a blob of gloss varnish.  The light is very thick and distorts the silver reflector I painted behind it leaving a rather miserable grey blob.  Next time - now I have a second kit - I'll try vac forming one out of an old shampoo bottle and a blunt pencil.  Infinite number of chances to get that right!  I now declare this build finished, so here are the final pics:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2