What’s happened to xtracrylix?

Plastic_parts

Hi guys. Is it me or has anyone  noticed a change in the quality and colour accuracy of xtracrylix paint? I have had three new pots of their paint ( one pot of light aircraf grey and two of dark sea grey) and the colours are way off. The dark se grey is way way to dark in fact it’s closer to extra dark sea grey and the light aircraft grey is just a light grey and lack the yellowish tint. These pots are the newer style with clear tops. I’ve used xtracrylix for more years than I can shake a stick at and I’ve never had a problem until now. So guys, what’s going on? Have hannants changed the formula or moved production abroad? Or is it a quality control issues? I’d love to hear what you guys think.

mick

• 1 month later...

Been a couple of weeks since my original post so thanks to all who have took the time to comment…I have been and purchased some more of the colour’s  I’m my OP just to check it was nota bad batch that was causing to problems. The new pots were purchased from another shop and tested on my latest project. I’m sorry to say the results were much the same. The dark sea grey is way too dark and the LAG is closer to camouflage grey. Not only that put the paints now seem to dislike being applied to any surface and show their disapproval by pooling within seconds of being applied. It doesn’t make any difference if the model is primed or not and the only way round this is to keep brushing over the applied paint until it’s starting to cure but then What your left with is horrid brush marks ….I can’t wrap my head round this and after 50 years of modelling I’m pretty sure it’s not just  my incompetence and I’m sure I’m not the only one having problems with this paint….

mike

Been a couple of weeks since my original post so thanks to all who have took the time to comment…I have been and purchased some more of the colour’s  I’m my OP just to check it was nota bad batch that was causing to problems. The new pots were purchased from another shop and tested on my latest project. I’m sorry to say the results were much the same. The dark sea grey is way too dark and the LAG is closer to camouflage grey. Not only that put the paints now seem to dislike being applied to any surface and show their disapproval by pooling within seconds of being applied. It doesn’t make any difference if the model is primed or not and the only way round this is to keep brushing over the applied paint until it’s starting to cure but then What your left with is horrid brush marks ….I can’t wrap my head round this and after 50 years of modelling I’m pretty sure it’s not just  my incompetence and I’m sure I’m not the only one having problems with this paint….

mike

• Like 1

I'll be a bit sad if it's screwed up, as I use XA1137 as my go-to Star Wars grey, as it's pretty much perfect for the Falcon and Rebel fighters. :(

Is it just the tops that have changed to clear?  I've got a bespoke rack for my Xtracrylix, so I'd be a bit peeved if they've changed everything :unsure:

43 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'll be a bit sad if it's screwed up, as I use XA1137 as my go-to Star Wars grey, as it's pretty much perfect for the Falcon and Rebel fighters. :(

Is it just the tops that have changed to clear?  I've got a bespoke rack for my Xtracrylix, so I'd be a bit peeved if they've changed everything :unsure:

Yep, same bottle design just with a clear lid and actually latest pots the whole thing is clear. 

edit: proof for @Mike resized_b651ab57-f569-498e-9037-bfec2ff9

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2021 at 3:15 AM, Plastic_parts said:

I have been and purchased some more of the colour’s  I’m my OP just to check it was nota bad batch that was causing to problems. 

There's still a reasonable chance they're from the same batch unless the containers are obviously different or a similar sure-fire giveaway?

Finally got to to stage of using the latest pot. Dark Sea grey is absolute rubbish, pools to hell and the white I put in doesn’t mix probably and streaks. I assume the pru blue could be the same though the sky I’ve been using is the new style all clear pots and it’s the same XA quaility 

51756496871_1210ffb409_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Should also counter to be fair to Hannants I have 12 of the new clear bottles and it’s only 2 that have formulation issues. Also 5 clear lid yellow body that are all fine. Though am quite annoyed as both are for builds I hoped to get done this week this is a small problem

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Pure speculation here but it could be as simple as a change in the raw material supplier or the raw material supplier has changed their acquisition method. We've had something along those lines with grouts in my line of work. 

1 hour ago, Plastic_parts said:

Phantombigstu…. That’s exactly what’s happening, it pools like hell and the colour is way off….. I’d contact hannants if I thought it would get me anywhere but I don’t know who to contact .

I've contacted Hannants quite a few times (all for the right reasons..) and have found them very helpful.

Just drop them an email, I use:

[email protected]

I hope we get to the bottom of this as I love some of their colours.

Rick.

I hate to be a killjoy here but contacting Hannants might have been a way to go. Their Terms & Conditions have a point on 'defective' goods:

This: 

If, in the unlikely event, your goods arrive in a damaged condition or are defective, you must inform us as soon as is practically possible and in any event no later than 7 days after discovery. Failure to do so will deem that you have accepted the goods.

Seems reasonable to me.

I use xtracylix a lot and haven't had your problem of 'pooling' -  I use an airbrush and I would guess you aren't? How are you preparing the plastic?