H.L. Hunley

Excellent work on that! I really do like the cutaway and the torpedo rigging. :clap2:

Is the blue-gray a lighting artifact? I used a neutral--but altogether too dark--gray on my 1/72 model.

• Thanks 1

A fantastic result Martian, and you did it in time for Telford!

A fascinating build and a reminder to me how far back in time these boats existed. I wonder what the folk living in the 1860's would make of a modern SSN or SSBN!

Obvs I wont see it at Telford, but looking forward to when it redeploys down south to its Poole base!

Terry

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Excellent work on that! I really do like the cutaway and the torpedo rigging. :clap2:

Is the blue-gray a lighting artifact? I used a neutral--but altogether too dark--gray on my 1/72 model.

Thanks. I did enhance the colour on the pictures a bit. The actual colour of the submarine is open to interpretation as all we have to go on is the Wise-Chapman painting, which although very accurate in detail is a watercolour and the colours are very translucent. Being colour blind, the best I could do was get all the different grey paints I have in stock and the closest match I could get was Tamiya Medium Sea Grey. Edit: I just checked the model to be sure and the colour is a result of me getting carried away with the photo editing.

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

A fantastic result Martian, and you did it in time for Telford!

A fascinating build and a reminder to me how far back in time these boats existed. I wonder what the folk living in the 1860's would make of a modern SSN or SSBN!

Obvs I wont see it at Telford, but looking forward to when it redeploys down south to its Poole base!

Terry

Thanks Terry. What would the submariners of today make of having to crew the Hunley? Over to @Courageous!

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Lovely detailed work on this wee boat. Good work Martian, hopefully I'll see it in the flesh over the weekend.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, hopefully I will be seeing you, I shouldn't be too hard to spot, even if I am dressing down a bit this year.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Pappy asked for some more pictures of the rigging arrangement for the spar torpedo, so being an alien that is happy to oblige, here they are.

Martian 👽

100.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

• Like 10

7 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday O-tentacled one, congratulations on your completion. It's a great model of a very interesting vessel. Very well done. Regards, Jeff.

Cheers Jeff. Unusually for me I am quite happy with the result. Normally it takes several months before I begin to like my completed models, most likely because I know what's wrong with them. With this one I know I have pushed the accuracy side of things as far as I am able so there is less to dislike about the model.

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

Great portrayal of a piece of history. Nice touch with the figure to give a sense of scale.

Good luck at Telford

Kev

Thanks Kev, I look up to your maritime builds so that means a lot to me.

5 hours ago, whitestar12chris said:

Cracking build Martian, well done. look forward to seeing it in the flesh over the weekend.

All the best Chris

Cheers Chris. Do you mean the model or the Martian you are looking forward to seeing in the flesh? I am told that a very special party frock awaits me this year. I am looking forward to that part of SMW with an equal mix of antici............................pation and, given that it is being created by the same lady that was responsible for @general melchett's Battle Y-Fronts, some apprehension. She is a much loved friend albeit as daft a box of frogs. My final fitting is this evening.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Great looking build the wee chap at the end gives a good sense of scale as well,  

My favourite question though is always..what's next?

I've been meaning to go to the telford show but not made it for one reason or another the past few years, is there a large 'naval' contingent there normally?

2 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Great looking build the wee chap at the end gives a good sense of scale as well,  

My favourite question though is always..what's next?

I've been meaning to go to the telford show but not made it for one reason or another the past few years, is there a large 'naval' contingent there normally?

Thanks. Next on the bench will be a couple of 1/350 Zeppelins but I am undecided what my next maritime build will be. I quite fancy having a go at Mikro-Mir's 1/72 Krupp Forel but references are proving somewhat hard to come by. The Zeppelins will take up quite a bit of space so whatever I decide upon will have to be on the small side.

There is a fair maritime representation at Telford and as it is not that far from Gloucestershire, I would definitely recommend a trip.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Nice work!

Great display. 👍

Thanks Steve, I felt that as so much effort went into the build, I ought to try and give some extra thought to its presentation. This one might get a case rather than just sit in storage in my lock up between shows.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Very well done and such an interesting subject. I'll have to read up on this one

Thanks Bertie.

Martian 👽

Morning Martin

I like your submarine, all the effort, looks very good indeed and nice to see something different. Not sure about your skirt though, we’ll see you later today or tomorrow morning. One bonus of the smaller nationals is that the competition area is all on the same level and your Martian craft will easily be able to Navigate to hall 2.

that RAF bloke Simon

• Thanks 1

Very nice model and presentation. You might take some of the blue out of those pictures though!

I haven't seen the real one but we saw the replica in Charleston quite a few years ago. It appears to be painted black now but my pictures from the time look dark grey.

It's a great model of an interesting and historic subject - definitely worthy of a display case!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sammy da fish said:

Morning Martin

I like your submarine, all the effort, looks very good indeed and nice to see something different. Not sure about your skirt though, we’ll see you later today or tomorrow morning. One bonus of the smaller nationals is that the competition area is all on the same level and your Martian craft will easily be able to Navigate to hall 2.

that RAF bloke Simon

Thanks Simon. I have now had my final fitting of the party frock and I am sure you will be surprised by it:or not seeing as how Elaine made it!

15 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

Very nice model and presentation. You might take some of the blue out of those pictures though!

I haven't seen the real one but we saw the replica in Charleston quite a few years ago. It appears to be painted black now but my pictures from the time look dark grey.

It's a great model of an interesting and historic subject - definitely worthy of a display case!

Thanks Ed. You are right about the pictures and I think I will do another set and leave the colour balance alone this time. The Wise-Chapman painting suggests the real sub was painted in a medium grey.

Martian 👽

Great finish with this one hope you had a great result at Telford sadly could not make it as family commitments to attend but fingers crossed for next year from the photos I have seen you looked like you were enjoying it.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Great finish with this one hope you had a great result at Telford sadly could not make it as family commitments to attend but fingers crossed for next year from the photos I have seen you looked like you were enjoying it.

Stay Safe

beefy

Cheers Beefy, I had a ball.

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

20211114-144929.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, that looks like a 'Gold' to me.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, I was fortunate enough to get a gold and a silver with my Holland 1 in that class and to my amazement, seeing as I had never built a spacecraft since 1970, my Mercury Redstone got a silver. If ever there was a case of someone not knowing what they were doing, that was it.

Martian 👽

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Martian said:

I was fortunate enough to get a gold and a silver with my Holland 1 in that class and to my amazement, seeing as I had never built a spacecraft since 1970, my Mercury Redstone got a silver.

Fortune played no part in that I suspect Martian - I'd go for skill and expertise all the way. Well done that man martian!

Terry

• Thanks 1