1/72 - Focke-Wulf Fw.190D Dora by IBG Models - D-9, D-11, D-13 & D-15 released - new D-9 boxing in 2024

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Focke-Wulf Fw.190D Dora family (incl. Ta.152) by IBG Models - 3D renders+test build - release in 2022
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Focke-Wulf Fw.190D Dora family (incl. Ta.152 ?) by IBG Models - 3D renders+test build - release in 2022
30 minutes ago, ChristianK said:

As the thread title was changed to "(incl. Ta 152)" - was there any official announcement by IBG I missed? I thought it was established that for now there will be only the Dora-family..

I don't believe so, it was only the bad FB translate that led to that, I haven't seen it mentioned otherwise. I think the Ta152 tail is for D's that had that tail fitted. 

• Like 2

Well, basically subject fits. IBG has not officially announced these versions, but from private conversations I know that the entire Ta-152 family is under consideration. Whether versions with radial engines - I do not know.

According to this pic Homebee posted above, that's a different story. There was small batch of D-9 version fitted with larger tail of Ta-152 type, produced by Mimetall Erfurt factory with Wk.Nr. 500xxx serials. And this is meant on this board. IBG has this variant in its design. There will be free e-book describing all versions, available for download soon.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ChristianK said:

I thought it was established that for now there will be only the Dora-family..

Yep. I explained that exactly a month ago:

I have full set of test frames and this is Fw 190D family only.

Ta 152 family is considered but AFAIK it was not even put in the design pipeline yet. And this is logical because Fw 190D project is large and kits will be released gradually, there is no need to flood the market with two close aircraft families at once.

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Focke-Wulf Fw.190D Dora family (incl. Ta.152 ?) by IBG Models - 3D renders+test build+sprues - release in 2022

And speaking of plans, there's a list of planned boxes of Fw 190D in one of the comments.

• Fw 190D-9 Cottbus (Early)
  • Fw 190D-9 Cottbus (Late)
  • Fw 190D-9 Weserflug
  • Fw 190D-9 Mimetall (Standard Tail)
  • Fw 190D-9 Mimetall (Broad Tail)
  • Fw 190D-9 Fieseler (Early)
  • Fw 190D-9 Fieseler (Late)
  • Fw 190D-11
  • Fw 190D-13
  • Fw 190D-15

Limited editions with prototypes:

• Fw 190D-9
  • Fw 190D-11
  • Fw 190D-12
  • Fw 190D-13
  • Fw 190D-14

There will be separate box with JV 44 markings too.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

The leading edge of the fin is wrong, an error copied from other models, Hasegawa eg has the correct shape.
It wasn't that blunt at the root ... actually it was sharp there also and the profile of the sides of the fin making an S curve above where the fuselage ends.

Surviving FW 190Ds are rare, unlike the radial engined FW 190As which are well represented in European museums.

I did get to see and photograph the only surviving FW 190D-13 in Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum which was founded by Paul Allen.

A set of my FW 190D-13 photos can be downloaded - for personal use or for illustrating something in this thread only.
If you want to publish them elsewhere, please get in touch with me first

There are 40 large pictures making up a total of 325Mb, so I won`t recommend downloading to a mobile.

Som pictures show other aircraft as well besides FW 190D-13 836017, I just left them in the set for no other reason that I could not be bothered to remove them...

Download link for a week:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/682e5ccdca97d6780562a105878841cf20211222095703/788df21fbd2de55bdc1e41bb49028f3d20211222095954/93805c

Consider it a slightly early Christmas present to the users of this forum.

Edited by LN-KEH
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 8

List of frames for both kits, you can see which frames (bolded) are common:

72531 - frames A, B, E, J, K, Y (transparent), Z

72540 - frames A, B, H, J, L, Q, T, U, W, Y (transparent)

The frames are labelled from A to Z and each frame has Focke-Wulf Fw 190D name written on it, so there are no parts for Ta 152 in this project.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 3:25 PM, occa said:

The leading edge of the fin is wrong, an error copied from other models, Hasegawa eg has the correct shape.
It wasn't that blunt at the root ... actually it was sharp there also and the profile of the sides of the fin making an S curve above where the fuselage ends.

12 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

Is there an image in LN-KEH's post, or elsewhere, that confirms this to be an error? I tried to find one (thank you, LN-KEH) but my download was faulty for some reason and I couldn't view all of the images. I saw one taken from just behind the tail (KEH_7636) which seemed to confirm that the kit is correct, but I don't know!

John

• Like 1

Maybe it was already mentioned....  but PLEASE consider following up this 1/72 family with a 1/48 Dora series!  No good dora kits in 1/48...  eduard is best but very hard to build, other kits are not accurate...

1/48 could use great Dora series; you are doing a great job!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Violet Club said:

Why those line of rivets ? These are not visible in 1/72 scale !

As well as the panel lines. These are not visible in 1/72 scale ! Why does this model have any surface detail at all in 1/72 scale. They should not be visible!

Etc.

Reading these constant complaints about rivets being there, or not being there, or being there and not here - it seems to me that your question is one of the unsolved mysteries of our space-time continuum. I don't know the answer to that question, but I can guess:
Perhaps it's because the kit is just a plastic toy, and everything the manufacturer does is contractual in it. All elements made of plastic are only an approximation, meant to neatly pretend to be a real object. Maybe because it is physically impossible to make it smaller. Everything we do, we modellers, is just "an art" to deceive the human eye and brain so that we think we are looking at a reduced object.
Or maybe it is because someone at the manufacturer did some research and found out that most people expect rivets on the model? Then you have to accept that you are unique - and you are in the minority.
And doesn't really it bother you why you see panel lines on the model? They should absolutely not be there in 1/72 scale. Hey, in 1/48 scale too. And, to me - in 1/32.
And why do the trailing edges have any thickness?

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Violet Club said:

I know that in 1/72 scale, many details aren't visible ! Regarding rivet detail, it is a question of taste.  Personnaly, I prefer only panel lines, but very small ones !

I fully understand it and I also think that it is only a matter of taste. I respect your opinion, I have different taste and for example I like rivets and make them on all my models. But both our opinions have no meaning for the manufacturers - they choose what they want to do and give us. We vote with our wallets if we like what they offer. I like this model very much, so I vote yes ;)

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 9:25 PM, occa said:

Hello Occa, could you please better explain this point?

I have found these pictures by Randy Malmstrom and the sides of the fin seem to follow the tail in a straight line (without an "S"). At the leading edge the  fin narrows a bit but so does the kit, it seems to me?

13592272_1330004680360519_44367403024062

68640138_2833881336639505_69687280743512

• Like 1

Its the same impression I have from looking at the pictures like KEH_7639 in  https://we.tl/t-CaIQhbtY6t

But this is just the D-13, there could have been different tails on the other FW 190Ds. 

Lets look at the D-9 in the USAF Museum.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196261/focke-wulf-fw-190d-9/

140421-F-IO108-021.JPG

Edited by LN-KEH

7 hours ago, steh2o said:

Hello Occa, could you please better explain this point?

I have found these pictures by Randy Malmstrom and the sides of the fin seem to follow the tail in a straight line (without an "S"). At the leading edge the  fin narrows a bit but so does the kit, it seems to me?

13592272_1330004680360519_44367403024062

68640138_2833881336639505_69687280743512

Those S-lines I meant about are at the area of the leading edge of the fin not at the trailing edge of the rudder.
One can even imagine this from the other picture you linked to.

Best example is to take a Hase fuselage and look closer at the complex transition of the fuselage end into the fin.