1/72 - Focke-Wulf Fw.190D Dora by IBG Models - D-9, D-11, D-13 & D-15 released - new D-9 boxing in 2024

Homebee

7 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

Its the same impression I have from looking at the pictures like KEH_7639 in  https://we.tl/t-CaIQhbtY6t

But this is just the D-13, there could have been different tails on the other FW 190Ds. 

Lets look at the D-9 in the USAF Museum.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196261/focke-wulf-fw-190d-9/

140421-F-IO108-021.JPG

IMO one can see what I mean in this photo ^^ the S the sides make.
Basically seen from above the fuselage ends in a flat triangle but the fin's sides itself are slightly bulged parallels.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Focke-Wulf Fw.190D Dora family by IBG Models - 3D renders+box art+test build+sprues - release January 2022
2 hours ago, occa said:

Those S-lines I meant about are at the area of the leading edge of the fin not at the trailing edge of the rudder.
One can even imagine this from the other picture you linked to.

Best example is to take a Hase fuselage and look closer at the complex transition of the fuselage end into the fin.

Allright I have an Hasegawa and will check this point better, thanks for the heads-up!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Violet Club said:

Why those line of rivets ? These are not visible in 1/72 scale !

I strongly recommend reading of this comment posted by Mr. Sulc of the Eduard company:

Source: https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?p=2462447#p2462447

You're always getting a semi-finished product. I would say that there has long been some misunderstanding here about the definition of what is a good or perfect model (or supplement). So to be clear, everything that is made and sold in this industry is semi-finished products, intended for further processing. You will never get anything that can be used without further work put in. We, as manufacturers, try to produce in such a way that the customer/modeler has as little work as possible using our products. That doesn't mean they won't have any work to do with it.

It is up to your judgement as to whether the product we offer provides you with a utility and benefit commensurate with its price, or whether the quality/price ratio is interesting enough for you. If it is not, you will not buy. We understand this and have no problem with it. We don't blame you for it, nor do we scold you for it. On the other hand, if you don't like our product, I'd appreciate it if you didn't scold us. I think it's enough if you don't buy it.

So according to Mr Sulc's thinking, which I agree with, you have two options:
• buy the kit and putty the panel lines or/and rivets;
• vote with your wallet and do not buy the kit.

This, by the way, is a broader comment to any whiner, regardless of scale or model. Don't like it? Don't whine, just don't buy it, nobody will be offended.

[Yes, I'm bored to death and tired as f... with all these complaints and whines. Basically every thread, no matter subject or scale, is "marked" by at least one whiner who is not satisfied because commercial company didn't made product fitting in 200% to his own meaningless ideas.]

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

IBG Models 1/72 Doras will hit the stores soon after the Christmas holidays, we've already shown the sprues for both D-9 and D-15 kit so it's time to reveal the painting schemes prepared for the kits. The Fw 190D-15 Torpedo Bomber will include 3 schemes: painting of a built pre-production machine from March 1945 and two "what-if", alternative history schemes.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ibgmodels/posts/4756790584442548

Fw-190-D-15-Scheme-01.png
Fw-190-D-15-Scheme-02.png
Fw-190-D-15-Scheme-03.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Violet Club said:

I intend to buy the kit (for all these details), but I want to fill the rivets, but not the panel lines... It is quite difficult, but no impossible !

If it was me wanting to do this, I'd try going over the panel lines very carefully with some kind of peelable masking liquid, like Maskol. Once that's dry, I'd spray on one or two coats of acrylic primer, just enough to fill in those rivets. Then I'd peel off the masking from the panel lines and go over the whole model with either isopropanol or very fine wet-or-dry paper, used wet, to remove the excess primer, but leave the rivets filled in.

John

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

If it was me wanting to do this, I'd try going over the panel lines very carefully with some kind of peelable masking liquid, like Maskol. Once that's dry, I'd spray on one or two coats of acrylic primer, just enough to fill in those rivets. Then I'd peel off the masking from the panel lines and go over the whole model with either isopropanol or very fine wet-or-dry paper, used wet, to remove the excess primer, but leave the rivets filled in.

John

Dear John,

Interesting technique ! If it works with Maskol ; do you have already try this on another models ? And what kind of acrylic primer to use ? And I think it could be also a good way to reduce too heavy panel lines !

Edited by Violet Club

51 minutes ago, Violet Club said:

Dear John,

Interesting technique ! If it works with Maskol ; do you have already try this on another models ? And what kind of acrylic primer to use ? And I think it could be also a good way to reduce too heavy panel lines !

No, I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. All you're trying to do with the Maskol is keep the primer out of the panel lines. For the primer, Mr Surfacer 1000 in an aerosol can would work, as would acrylic automotive primer, in a spray can. I'd suggest you experiment a bit before you go at that (probably quite expensive) IBG FW-190D kit, though! :winkgrin:

Yes, reducing heavy panel lines is a possibility, too.

John

Yes, I will try this technique on some old kits before... Reducing heavy panel lines, this way is also a good technique especially for some kits, like the old AIRFIX ones with too heavy panel lines and you don't have to rescribe them. I suppose we have to remove Maskol before sanding...

Have a Nice Xmas !

Violet Club

39 minutes ago, Violet Club said:

Yes, I will try this technique on some old kits before... Reducing heavy panel lines, this way is also a good technique especially for some kits, like the old AIRFIX ones with too heavy panel lines and you don't have to rescribe them. I suppose we have to remove Maskol before sanding...

Have a Nice Xmas !

Violet Club

Yes, by all means, remove the Maskol first! It's just there to prevent the filler (the Mr Surfacer) from getting into the panel lines you want to preserve. It doesn't matter if the area covered by it is a bit wider than the panel line, as long as it doesn't cover any of the rivets you want to fill. Good luck, and merry Christmas to you, too!

John

Bit late to this, but got to say, I may have to buy one of these (or more ?) in 1/72 to have a good look at it. ( I've only built in 1/48 for about 20 years) It seems IBG have been doing their homework well, apart from that fin again maybe (?).   But to second Tokyo Raider, it would be great to see it scaled up to 1/48, there really is a need in that scale for a good example of the D9, and in my opinion the Eduard kit ,as well as being difficult to build, has numerous inaccuracies and fails.   What with the possibility of Japo finally doing Volume 3 of their series and this , maybe 2022 will be a good year for D9 fans.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hal LH said:

But to second Tokyo Raider, it would be great to see it scaled up to 1/48.

Hobby Boss released almost the entire 1/48 Fw 190D family in 2013 and 2015. These kits are very cheap - the regular price at Hannants is £11.66. The 1/72 IBG Models kits have a regular price of £17.25.

Regardless of the quality of Hobby Boss sets releasing another Fw 190D family in 1/48 does not make any economic sense, because it is impossible to compete with their prices. If IBG Models made an analogous quality kit in 1/48, it would cost around £40-45 per box, four times more expensive than Hobby Boss. Such an investment is financial suicide. To put it simply - IBG will not scale up this family to 1/48.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hal LH said:

Bit late to this, but got to say, I may have to buy one of these (or more ?) in 1/72 to have a good look at it. ( I've only built in 1/48 for about 20 years) It seems IBG have been doing their homework well, apart from that fin again maybe (?).   But to second Tokyo Raider, it would be great to see it scaled up to 1/48, there really is a need in that scale for a good example of the D9, and in my opinion the Eduard kit ,as well as being difficult to build, has numerous inaccuracies and fails.   What with the possibility of Japo finally doing Volume 3 of their series and this , maybe 2022 will be a good year for D9 fans.  

With superlative research/degree of detail  they ( IBG ) did, expect Dora both in 48th and 32nd scale, no manufacturer would go/ went through such meticulous research to cover just "lowest" price range/scale of certain subject. 

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Focke-Wulf Fw.190D Dora family by IBG Models - 3D renders+box art+test build+sprues - release D-9 Cottbus & D-15 Torpedo January 2022
57 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

I'm guessing 25 quid...

Hannants says £20.70 list price with VAT:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/IBG72531

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/IBG72540

Aviation Megastore says €21.77 with VAT:

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/?action=prodinfo&art=183689

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/?action=prodinfo&art=183690

Jonathan.

Edited by Stilwell
Edited to add information