WWI Canadian MG Carrier (CSM, 1/35th)

Ade H

CMGC01

A Canadian MG Carrier, built by Autocar, as it would have looked in early autumn of 1918 after several months of hard use. The kit is, of course, by Copper State Models. My take on it is influenced by the beautiful box art and the references photos provided in the manual.

CMGC02

It was painted with my own mix of Vallejo primer, an inter-shade of greens and ochres, hairspray, and Model Air BS Dark Green. After chipping and scrubbing, weathering continued with oil-paint rendering (OPR) including oil-pigment mixes, and finished with multiple blends of pigment speckling, wet effects, grease, etc.

CMGC03

The base was made with balsa and painted entirely with Vallejo washes in many layers. It’s usable as a real (albeit very small) box. The hint of groundwork used sea grass, pigments, leaves by Green Stuff World, and Value Gear boxes with added rope handles.

CMGC06

The lights were painted with oils. All markings (apart from the small “ARI” marking) were masked (cut with a Cricut) and painted. The hairspray chipping included all of the wood surfaces, including this storage box. The tyres have no tread, so I replicated it with a rivet wheel (a handy benefit of also making aircraft).

CMGC07

The MGs were painted with Vallejo Metal Color and oils. The pull-throughs are plastic and have to be bent; it’s pity that there was no photo-etch for them, but they may be replaced with metal strips one day. The metal coolant hoses are made with lead wire.

Over all, I’m pretty happy with the result. My construction and weathering could always be a bit more refined, but I was at least able to work back from a clear mental picture of what I wanted. The base was a fun idea which came about as I was struggling to think of some alternative to the norm, while the two little crates were staring me in the face from my desk. I intended it to have full groundwork on top, but a trial run looked laughably bad. It was serendipitous, I guess, because I really like this minimal version and it shows off the box much better.

If you have any questions about how, or why, I did something, you are more than welcome to ask. I think that's better than going into too much detail right away.

Edited by Ade H
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Hi Ade,

An interesting subject, I never saw him anywhere. The result seems very good to me, and the explanations about how you have achieved it are also very useful.
A very original base, which accompanies the vehicle very well.
Good Job.
Cheers and TC
Francis. 👍

• Thanks 1

What a lovely model that is. Beautifully painted and weathered....I love all the different tones you've achieved in the paintwork.

I very much like the look of these CSM WW1 models. Will definitely have to get round to doing one.

Very well presented on that base too 👏

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Stuart. I can definitely recommend this kit if you want something a bit different. It goes together very well, generally, with just a few places where it needs a little extra care.

Tremendous work, no idea where to begin!

The paintwork and weathering is absolutely first rate, so much to appreciate, like it a lot! The worn, chipped, degraded mud spattered paintwork is a real treat. 

Not only superb modelling but brilliant presentation and great photography,  what's not to like!

Brilliant and inspirational 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Another very thoughtful comment, Darryl. Thanks very much indeed.

I'm a bit self-critical of my photos, and I'm far more used to shooting big fast things at a long distance than tiny things at 20cm! I'm perfectly happy to cheat and use Affinity's focus merge tool. 😉

On 10/11/2021 at 19:13, Ade H said:

Thanks, Francis. A compliment from someone of your ability means a lot.

Hi Ade,

Thank you very much for your more than kind compliment, but I still have a lot to improve ... lol
Cheers and TC
Francis.

• Like 1