F-4E 86th TFW Ramstein AB, "Victor Alert" configuration

Sierra Mike Sierra

Good afternoon!

I was just reading in Adrian Symonds' book "USAFE in the 1980s" that the 86th TFW based at Ramstein AB in Germany had a primary air-to-ground role including a nuclear strike role and that it always maintained some nuclear armed jets ready to go (i.e. Vicor Alert).

Does anybody have some intel as to what an F-4E would look like (in terms of weapons, ECM pods etc. carried) in a Vicor Alert configuration at this time?

Thanks

Stefan

10 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

81st TFW F-4D fit was 2 x SF tanks. 1 x B57 store centreline, ALQ pod in the port forward missile bay, and no defensive armament.

This from a guy who used to be an armourer, and loaded them.

Sounds good to me also, this from a guy who used to guard them at Woodbridge!  I will say one more thing. 736 was a DOG!  Always breaking whenever it was put on alert.  In 2009 I saw it out at D-M.  Hopefully it has been scrapped by now that sorry piece of &^(*^&*!!!!!

Later,

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

This from a guy who used to be an armourer, and loaded them.

These first-hand accounts are always much appreciated, thanks!

Can you tell if they never had any defensive armament? Somwhere in a post I read - relating to Victor Alert at Hahn AB - that they used defensive A/A, but I am not sure that post referred to the 50th TFW when they still had F-4Es or after they converted to F-16s.

Sorry, haven’t been on the site for a while. 

I don’t really have anything to add here. I didn’t sit Victor Alert at Spangdahlem. The commitment for our wing went away in mid-1984, just after I arrived on base.