Tamiya 1/24 Porsche 935 "Martini"

Andy J

24 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Better give those decals you worked so hard for some protection...ย 

Yep good point decision made the clear coat will be applied once I've finished the rest of the decals ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 3

So I have finally managed to apply all the decals to the shell and the rear wing ๐Ÿฅณ. I'm relieved that this part of the build is over as there were a few hairy moments along the way now I can move up a gear and crack on with the rest of the build. I'm happy with the results of the decaling process I've done the best I could, they are not perfect but tbh I'm not sure that the word perfect actually exists in the world of scale modelling I'm always looking at my builds thinking that maybe I could have done certain things better but I'm pleased with the overall results ๐Ÿ™‚. The rear wing is only placed in position for the time being as I want to remove it for the spraying of the clear coat. Here's a few pic's of today's progressย 

ย 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

ย 

Right it's time for me to start preparing the rest of the parts for paint as I want to leave the shell alone for a while to allow the decals to fully set. Thanks for looking back soon ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Wow stunning !!!

Congratulations for the great decaling and good luck for the clear coatingย 

Marco Fย 

Thanks Marco I'm hoping to have the shell clear coated this weekend in the meantime I'm concentrating on the chassis, interior, wheels etc which shouldn't take long as there aren't many parts ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stef N. said:

Classy looking shell. Nice one.๐Ÿ‘

Thanks Stef now that the decals are in place i can relax and enjoy the rest of the build ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spiny said:

That's looking good now. And you're absolutely correct that there is no such thing as perfection in modelling - if something looks perfect it just means you haven't looked close enough...

Absolutely right mate ๐Ÿ‘. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the results and a lot of the time close up photos dont help but nothing is ever perfect imo ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 2

So today's update and the interior, wheels and chassis are complete although I haven't fitted the tyres yet. There's not many parts to this kit it's very basic stuff so detail is lacking however that's how the kit comes and I still think it will build up into a nice model when finished. The reason I haven't fitted the tyres yet is because I'm uncertain what colour I should use for the tyre lettering ๐Ÿค”. The kit suggests gold for the Dunlop tyre markings.....would that be correct ๐Ÿค”. If anyone knows what the correct colour should be please let me know ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ‘. Here's a few pic's of today's progressย 

ย 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

ย 

So not much to see but another step in the right direction. Thanks for looking back soon ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Like 10

1 hour ago, noeyedears said:

I picked one of these up as soon as it was re-released. Ill be watching for some tips on building it.

It's a pretty straightforward kit tbh containing only minor detail. The decals over the rear arches and around the back of the car are a little tricky to apply just have plenty of micro sol handy and eventually they will conform ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

11 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The shell looks absolutely fantastic with the decals on Andy, the wheel look very smart too and I could never tire of looking at the Porsche dash, I just wish it was from behind the wheel of a real one!!!

Great work fellaย 

Chris

Thanks for the comment Chris much appreciated mate ๐Ÿ‘. Like I've said before this is a basic kit by today's standards but the parts that are included fit together well and do the job adequately. Other than the issues I had with the decals not wanting to release from the backing paper....which had me spitting fire....( see what I did there ๐Ÿ˜‰) the kit has posed no problems so far ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks for the comment Chris much appreciated mate ๐Ÿ‘. Like I've said before this is a basic kit by today's standards but the parts that are included fit together well and do the job adequately. Other than the issues I had with the decals not wanting to release from the backing paper....which had me spitting fire....( see what I did there ๐Ÿ˜‰) the kit has posed no problems so far ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Yes I see what you did, like it๐Ÿ˜„, although it's an old kit it is looking great.

Chris

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Andy J said:

If anyone knows what the correct colour should be please let me know

ย 

Don't know about correct Andy, but I've never seen gold tyre lettering - only yellow, white and grimy white covered in brake dust that might look like 'gold'.... :)

ย 

Sorry for late comment but that shell really looks tremendous, top work again!ย 

ย 

K

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

@Andy Jย I would say yellow is colour to go. I never seen gold in tyre lettering. I can ask from museum on Tuesday when I am there.ย 

Thanks for the information much appreciated and yes I'm going for yellow which does seem to be the right colour ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

ย 

Don't know about correct Andy, but I've never seen gold tyre lettering - only yellow, white and grimy white covered in brake dust that might look like 'gold'.... :)

ย 

Sorry for late comment but that shell really looks tremendous, top work again!ย 

ย 

K

Thanks Keith the decision has been made and yellow it is ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

So I've had a play with the tyres and I'm happy with the results, I certainly think they look better in a worn condition and I've tried to fade the Dunlop lettering to create the right look. Infact i think the wheels and tyres together look pretty cool ๐Ÿ˜Žย 

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

That's all for now back soon ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Like 13

35 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

I'm no expert in tyre markings, but the look spot on to me and fully agree they look far cooler a little worn - Andyย 

Thanks Andy I'm happy with the results of the tyre lettering I think they look a bit more realistic this way. I've just finished the clear coat on the shell and although I've picked up a few specs of dust it looks like it's gone down well. I will post pic's shortly ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Final update for the day and the shell has received it's clear coat. A couple of pieces of dust have landed on the shell but nevertheless I'm very pleased with the results.ย 

ย 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

ย 

A good day at the bench today and plenty of progress made just need to let the shell cure and then I can wrap this one up. Thanks for looking back soon ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Like 10