Tamiya 1/24 Porsche 935 "Martini"

Andy J

14 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

I wish I had used this wise advice a couple of times. Good work Andy, it's looking very nice.👍

Thanks Stef if it wasn't for the stubborn decals I would have finished this part of the build today but having to drag the decals off the backing paper and into position is a PIA and the chances of destroying them is massive. Once off the backing paper they work fine but getting them off is a nightmare 🙄👍

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Looks good. I have said this previously: Decals make race car.

Thanks and I agree infact the Martini scheme is my favourite and looks great whatever style of car it's applied to 🙂👍

• Like 1

That looks great Andy, good idea to take a break and avoid ruining it! Strange the problem with the decals as you've got a fairly recent re-issue - well if you call 2010 recent! Still, you've done a great job beating them into submission so far! :)

K

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That looks great Andy, good idea to take a break and avoid ruining it! Strange the problem with the decals as you've got a fairly recent re-issue - well if you call 2010 recent! Still, you've done a great job beating them into submission so far! :)

K

Thanks Keith I generally use quite hot water for decals but these are definitely stubborn. Fortunately I've got a way with it so far so fingers crossed my luck will hold up 🤞👍

• Like 2

Looks good , Andy . I tend to always use hot water as I find it cools so quickly in the small bowl I use for decaling . Tempting as it is to continue , it’s always best to walk away and go back another day ! 
 Gary . 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

Looks good , Andy . I tend to always use hot water as I find it cools so quickly in the small bowl I use for decaling . Tempting as it is to continue , it’s always best to walk away and go back another day ! 
 Gary . 

Thanks Gary,  I always enjoy building model kits but today's session started to become tedious so I opted out. But I'll be back at it tomorrow and at least I'm now half way there. The smaller decals aren't really an issue but the main decals need to be handled carefully and with them being difficult to separate from the backing paper it certainly doesn't help. However my headache has now gone and I've just scoffed a box of chocolate marshmallows so everything in the world is now fine and dandy 😋🙂👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looking great now you've started to Martini-ise it. And great job getting that decal over the rear wheel arch to conform so well - lots of compound curves going on there which are usually guaranteed to induce wrinkling but yours looks smooth.

I'd have to agree about stopping if you're not feeling great - you'd only kick yourself if you messed up. I hate it when decals don't want to leave the backing paper, I think it was the Countach which had a similar issue and I had to soak each one in warm water for close on 5 minutes before it wanted to leave the paper. As you say, patience is the key for that situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fnick said:

Those decals look fantastic! Almost as though they were printed on the body shell. And to echo the others good call about taking a break. 

Nick

Thanks Nick like i said earlier once the decals were free of the backing paper they conformed really well but dragging them off the backing paper was very hazardous 🙂👍

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Looking great now you've started to Martini-ise it. And great job getting that decal over the rear wheel arch to conform so well - lots of compound curves going on there which are usually guaranteed to induce wrinkling but yours looks smooth.

I'd have to agree about stopping if you're not feeling great - you'd only kick yourself if you messed up. I hate it when decals don't want to leave the backing paper, I think it was the Countach which had a similar issue and I had to soak each one in warm water for close on 5 minutes before it wanted to leave the paper. As you say, patience is the key for that situation.

Thanks Spiny the rear arch decal comes in two halves which i think actually makes the job easier as long as the first half is lined up correctly. I don't use micro set anymore preferring to just use plain water to position the decal in place but I do constantly brush micro sol over the surface of the decal untill it sits nicely in place which sometimes takes up to 10 minutes of constant soaking and brushing until I'm happy with it. Probably wouldn't suit everyone but it works for me 🙂

As for taking a break well I don't normally hang around with my builds but I was certain that if I continued today I would regret it hopefully this will turn out to be a wise decision 🙂🤞👍

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Give it a couple of weeks and chocolate mini eggs will be back in the shops.... :thumbsup: 🤣

K

Yep an back in me belly 🙂👍

• Haha 2

So I still haven't applied all of the decals to the shell but the one's I was most concerned about are in place. Using boiling water to free up the decals from the backing paper definitely helped and I'm pleased with the results. The white patch visible in a couple of the pic's on the top of the rear arch will be covered later by a kit part I just don't want to fit that part till later in the build. So now I can rest easier as the rest of the decals shouldn't pose any problems and I will try to get the rest in place tomorrow. Here's a few pic's of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So that's where the build stands atm hopefully more progress tomorrow. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

That two things I'm now jealous of, the speed you work and the fact you know when it's best to take a break 😀.  Seriously though those decals look great,  top work - Andy 

Thanks Andy I'm glad I decided to stop yesterday it turned out to be the right decision I think. I do like to get a move on with my builds but I suppose some kits just take longer than others and these decals need to be applied carefully and steadily so I didn't really have a choice 🙂👍

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo that looks wonderful with the Martini striping on , I hope your fingers didn't get burnt in the process fella. It does look awesome. 

Chris

Thanks Chris my fingers are fine mate 😂👍. It's that Martini scheme that does it for me i think it looks great on any car it's certainly my personal favourite 🙂👍

• Like 1

That does look good  , Andy . I think the only time the Martini colour scheme hasn’t worked was when they painted the Lancia Deltas red for one rally only . The stripes didn’t seem to stand out , my opinion only mind . 
Gary . 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

That does look good  , Andy . I think the only time the Martini colour scheme hasn’t worked was when they painted the Lancia Deltas red for one rally only . The stripes didn’t seem to stand out , my opinion only mind . 
Gary . 

Interesting point regarding the red Delta mate. I hadn't really noticed before but I would tend to agree especially after looking at the pic below. The stripes certainly stand out more on a white car but tbh I love the Lancia Delta whatever the scheme or colour 🙂

spacer.png

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Looks really good. You have done really good job. Boiling water sounds interesting. Any drawbacks? Burning fingers?

Thanks for the comment 👍. The only drawback with the boiling water is the fact you have to keep changing the water regularly but I've got a kettle in the cave so it wasn't really a problem. I wouldn't use boiling water on all decals for fear of damaging them but I had no choice with these as it was the only way I could find to release them from the backing paper 🙂👍

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

She's looking brilliant Andy, top decal sticking!! 👍

K

Cheers Keith they were a PIA to remove from the backing paper but once on the kit and brushed repeatedly with micro sol they settled down really well. At the moment I'm considering whether a clear coat is necessary or not 🤔

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Cheers Keith they were a PIA to remove from the backing paper but once on the kit and brushed repeatedly with micro sol they settled down really well. At the moment I'm considering whether a clear coat is necessary or not 🤔

Better give those decals you worked so hard for some protection... 

• Like 1