Jump to content

Tamiya 1/24 Porsche 935 "Martini"


Recommended Posts

So next on the bench another classic kit from Tamiya that just happens to sport my favourite scheme the Martini livery 🙂. This is another kit that can sell for ridiculous prices so when this one popped up for £45 delivered i was a bit concerned about what condition the kit would be in especially the all important decals. The seller assured me the kit was in excellent condition and also included a detail up set from Scale Lab so I took the gamble and purchased it. Well I'm pleased to say the kit and the cartograf decals are indeed in excellent condition although the previous owner has drilled a hole in the bonnet which would normally be blanked off 🤔. I'm no expert so i don't know why this hole has been made maybe it's something to do with the detail set but either way I'm not bothered I can simply blank it off again from underneath if necessary. If anyone knows the reason for this mysterious hole then please let me know it's the one on the right side of the bonnet in the picture below 

 

spacer.png

 

As for the detail set well I'm not sure where it all fits so I guess I'll use the pieces that I can work out and the rest will be put to one side. I've started cleaning up the mold lines on the shell which were quite bad actually and I've removed the molded bonnet pins so that i can apply the PE parts later on in the build. So that's it for know i need to continue with cleaning up the various body parts and then move on to priming the shell. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will be interesting to see how you get on with this one.

 

Regarding the hole, looking at the box art there appear to be three holes required on the bonnet. And on the right  bit of PE you can see three circles. So I am guessing here as I know neither the kit or the car but the PE circles I imagine will go in the holes. Looks like they are some kind of caps which are slightly sunk into the bonnet which is why the holes have been drilled out (and a third needs doing).

 

Or I could be barking up the wrong 🌲.in which case please ignore my ramblings...🤪

 

Nick

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Will be interesting to see how you get on with this one.

 

Regarding the hole, looking at the box art there appear to be three holes required on the bonnet. And on the right  bit of PE you can see three circles. So I am guessing here as I know neither the kit or the car but the PE circles I imagine will go in the holes. Looks like they are some kind of caps which are slightly sunk into the bonnet which is why the holes have been drilled out (and a third needs doing).

 

Or I could be barking up the wrong 🌲.in which case please ignore my ramblings...🤪

 

Nick

Hi Nick the hole at the front of the bonnet comes already made with the kit as there is a kit part that fits into the hole from underneath. I agree that the PE parts you mention may be for use with these holes but if they are i have no idea how they fit in place 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Andy JYou don't rest between projects. This is really nice project. Holes are for fuel tank and oil. Fast fill in pit stop. You can see them in picture at box art.

 

This photo is Moby Dick, but you get idea of tanks:

Xeeuma6.jpg

 

Edited by Vesa Jussila
Photo added.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Boom, no mucking about from Andy. Straight into another kit and a nice one to boot. Anybody would think this hobby is addictive.👍😀

It's very addictive mate but I don't mind cus i love it 🙂😉👍

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Have you bought Tamiya's 1/12 version yet? It's on my to-buy list (that list is pretty long).

I don't have the 1/12 version simply because I have quite a few 1/24 car's to build atm 🙂. However I do have a number of 1/12 kits in the stash but I have no plans to build them atm 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

@Andy JYou don't rest between projects. This is really nice project. Holes are for fuel tank and oil. Fast fill in pit stop. You can see them in picture at box art.

 

This photo is Moby Dick, but you get idea of tanks:

Xeeuma6.jpg

 

Thanks for the photo much appreciated 👍. Tbh on the real car these filler caps look like silver discs at a distance which is exactly how mine will look however I can't ignore how shiny that finish is on the bodywork which is good because that's exactly how I want mine to look when finished 🙂👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

IIRC Andy the holes in the 'bonnet' are for fluid resevoir fillers and the p.e. bits are the filler caps :)

 

Crack on, should be finished by Sunday!

 

Keith

Nope no chance Keith I shall take my time with this one which will allow for my usual subject research 🙂👍

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Nice choice Andy!!!!

The bonnet hole miracle is already answered...

Got my drinks cooled,  so I'm ready to follow your WIP 

Marco F 

Cheers Marco glad to have you along 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Hamden said:

 

Looking forward to this, loved watching these back in the day

 

  Stay safe       Roger

 

Thanks Roger I'm looking forward to this one myself mate 👍 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's another reason for building this kit as the one below looks a little lonely on it's own in the display case 😉 👍

 

spacer.png

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Nope no chance Keith I shall take my time with this one which will allow for my usual subject research 🙂👍

Ok...I understand...so will be done end of next week I'll guess 😇😂🤗:penguin:

...just a little joke ... take your time and enjoy us.  Looking forward to the aside conversations coming up during this, WIP 

all the best 

Marco F 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Ok...I understand...so will be done end of next week I'll guess 😇😂🤗:penguin:

...just a little joke ... take your time and enjoy us.  Looking forward to the aside conversations coming up during this, WIP 

all the best 

Marco F 

I think the WIP should be enjoyable for everyone Marco and if that means the odd laugh or two then so be it 🙂👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

I can't ignore how shiny that finish is on the bodywork which is good because that's exactly how I want mine to look when finished 🙂👍

 

Restored car..... :whistle: 🤣

 

K

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Spiny said:

I was going to join the fuel/oil/fluid tank chorus regarding the holes, but have you also considered that they could be 'speed holes'?

 

 

Definitely speed hole's mate 🤣🤣👍

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TimJ said:

I remember building this when it first came out. Looking forward to seeing your progress. 

Thanks Tim glad to have you along 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...