De Havilland Vampire F.3 (A06107) 1:48

Mike

2 hours ago, Ali62 said:

From those that do not know, the leading edge wing tip lights for the 5 and 9 need a small section removed from the wing for these to be fitted

Think that is what is marked out here ready for cutting on the inside of the wings.

iwLiYox.jpg

2 hours ago, Ali62 said:

One down side my kit was missing one little part, I think it is the small detail part in the inside of the exhaust, I am sure I will get a second kit so I will clone one from that one.

Looks like that part may well have a tendency to fall off the sprue as it was loose in the bag on my kit 

zMXbtUb.jpg

51 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I can see the flashed over holes provided for the fuel tanks, but cannot see any others

The only other flashed over holes are these mid fuselage is this where you meant?

6e0jOJB.jpg

CT

• Like 3

K@Cheshiretaurus those holes n the lower centre fuselage are for a display stand I think: Airfix normally indicate this in the instructions, but as my kits haven’t yet arrived I can’t confirm this.  Looks like we’re on our own as far as external stores, other than the tanks, are concerned for now.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

@Cheshiretaurus, I appreciate the additional photographs. That confirms my question, no locating holes for a potential rocket armed FB.9 box. Looks as though all the other required bits are included, so that shouldn’t stop anyone making a later version from this initial release. I best get myself a few of these kits then. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

14 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:
17 hours ago, Ali62 said:

From those that do not know, the leading edge wing tip lights for the 5 and 9 need a small section removed from the wing for these to be fitted

Think that is what is marked out here ready for cutting on the inside of the wings.

Just thinking about this, that would put part of the nav lights inboard of the end of the ailerons. I cant find any pictures or drawings of this on 5,6 or 9s. they all seem to be inline with the end of the aileron.

This is the FB6 at the Mosquito Air Museum

1TKAgCR.png

But why then would Airfix have marked out the inside of the wings?

Has anyone got any pictures of the nav light in the 'cut in' position?

Confused? yes I am.

CT

Edit 52mins later

Or were the ailerons shorter?

On 11/15/2021 at 11:05 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks @Ali62, I can see the flashed over holes provided for the fuel tanks, but cannot see any others - happy to take your word for it. The rockets would have been placed between the mid fuselage and the start of the underwing boom section (somewhere). I’m sure I can ‘guess’ their location however it would be nice if there’s a bit more of a positive guide provided. Looks the goods though doesn’t it? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Sorry @Rabbit Leader.

Just got my Vampire direct from Airfix. Had a look at the sprues (checking for any short shot parts - happy to report none!). Apart from the flashed over holes for the under wing tanks, there are no other holes showing for any rockets to be added (at this point in time!)

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2021 at 08:44, Vingtor said:

They would have been much better if they were printed in the same blue as the RAF/RCAF roundels. Preferably even slightly darker.

Yeah, that's too bad. They seem to be pretty close in the colour profiles in the instructions, guess someone has messed up along the way.

Is something like this easy/cheap to fix?

Edited by Eivind Lunde

• 1 month later...

Guys, I just got this kit and it appears that the upper fuselage is extremely warped? It is basically impossible to mate it to the lower part, even when just dryfitting.

One wing and the cockpit appear to be completely off from where they should be. In contrast, the lower fuselage is perfectly straight and level.

Has anyone had the same problem? Kind of a Christmas bumper, shame that even new toolings by airfix seem to have issues that make them close to unbuildable.

Hope it is not a production batch issue, would not want to order another kit and have the same problem.

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

Thanks for the good review of this new Airfix Vampire F3. I've made two now, and will likely make more. It's a lovely looking aircraft.

Just a note of caution, the 601 squadron underwing serial numbers are positioned incorrectly on the instructions. The "8" should be next to the "VT" on a Vampire, so it isn't obscured by the drop tank.

Have a look at my completed model photos on page three of the WIP thread.

Edited by David A Collins