The last Ceremony "Kamikaze"

The Kamikaze history from WWII

After the fall of Saipan (July 1944), the Japanese restored the memory of Kamikaze by ascribing it to the suicide attack missions of their air force. The commander of Japan’s First Air Fleet in the Philippine Islands, Vice Admiral Takashiro Ohnishi, had pointed out that the best way to inflict maximum damage on the warships of the Allies was to deliberately crash aircraft into them.

The motto of Kamikaze Pilots for their mission was:

“Transcend life and death. Eliminate all thoughts about your life and your death. Only then you will disregard your earthly life totally. You will be empowered to focus your attention on eradicating your enemy with unwavering determination. In the meantime, reinforce your excellence in flight skills”.

The final ceremony before their last flight included a drink of spiritual concoction (maybe sake), that’d ensure success in the mission.

Reference from:  (War History Online)

68801.jpg  68802.jpg  68803.jpg  68804.jpg  68805.jpg

This diorama was inspired by the following (upper) pictures and it was the main idea for this construction.  Two aircraft A6M5c ZERO came from Tamiya and AMT/ERTL in scale 1/48. The aircraft models painted with IJN Gray and Green from Hobby Color (Mr Hobby), all water based acrylics. The figures came from Legend Productions (KAMIKAZE last flight Ceremony) and from Tamiya kit.

68806.jpg  68807.jpg  68809.jpg  68810.jpg  68811.jpg  68812.jpg  68813.jpg

It is the first time that I used clear coat paint from Kustom Service with water base. There are various acrylic clear coats for using airbrush and for scale model painting, ready to spray. From all these products I used for my aircrafts the "Old Timer Perfect Clear" with special satin effect on the model΄s surface. I mixed this acrylic clear coat with 30% thinner from the Kustom Service. Furthermore was acid resistant after 12 hours dry time.

68814.jpg

I hope you like it.

Giannis Doxas

• Like 22

I assume Vice Admiral Takashiro Ohnishi, having reached this conclusion, volunteered to lead the first wave? Actually, no. The history is more interesting. According to Wikipedia ...

Ōnishi committed ritual suicide (seppuku) in his quarters on 16 August 1945 after the unconditional surrender of Japan at the end of World War II. His suicide note apologized to the approximately 4,000 pilots he had sent to their deaths, and he urged all young civilians who had survived the war to work towards rebuilding Japan and peace among nations. He also stated that he would offer his death as a penance to the kamikaze pilots and their families.[citation needed] Accordingly, he did not use a kaishakunin, the usual second who executes by beheading, and so died of self-inflicted injuries over a period of 15 hours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...