Any good Rafale reference books?

Isamu77

Hi All,

I've been on the hunt for a good reference book for the Rafale, similar to the Duke Hawkins series of books. I haven't been able to find anything appropriate, except for this french language book.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rafale-Andre-Breand/dp/B07KZG7D7D/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1636475100&refinements=p_27%3AANDRE+BREAND&s=books&sr=1-1&text=ANDRE+BREAND

Does anyone have any recommendations, apart from online sources?

They are out there although often purely in the French Language , expensive to start with and often out of print at which point Amazon prices especially become ridiculous.

If you widen your search you might find something although it will probably still be pricey by nature of the market and France's taxation policies on printed matter.

You could try specific authors  such as Alexandre Paringaux , Frederic Lert , Alain Crosnier or, Phillipe Roman or try French publishers of aviation titles such as ETAI as you have already seen and others such as Zephyr , Heimdal or Histoire & Collections some of whom also publish monthly magazines and special magazine editions which might help with what you need.

Most of the books I have from the above relate mainly to Mirage variants/units with some having crossover to the Rafale and although the standards of photography are astounding none of the Mirage titles although often including servicing and engineering activities have quite the same level of consistent nose-to-tail close-up detail as the Duke Hawkins titles.

Regarding Duke Hawkins it might be worth your while dropping them a line to see if they have any plans for the Rafale , be surprising if they did not and they are planning to release another two titles before the end of this year and have a full programme planned for next so there might be something sooner rather than later from them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Des said:

They are out there although often purely in the French Language , expensive to start with and often out of print at which point Amazon prices especially become ridiculous.

If you widen your search you might find something although it will probably still be pricey by nature of the market and France's taxation policies on printed matter.

You could try specific authors  such as Alexandre Paringaux , Frederic Lert , Alain Crosnier or, Phillipe Roman or try French publishers of aviation titles such as ETAI as you have already seen and others such as Zephyr , Heimdal or Histoire & Collections some of whom also publish monthly magazines and special magazine editions which might help with what you need.

Most of the books I have from the above relate mainly to Mirage variants/units with some having crossover to the Rafale and although the standards of photography are astounding none of the Mirage titles although often including servicing and engineering activities have quite the same level of consistent nose-to-tail close-up detail as the Duke Hawkins titles.

Regarding Duke Hawkins it might be worth your while dropping them a line to see if they have any plans for the Rafale , be surprising if they did not and they are planning to release another two titles before the end of this year and have a full programme planned for next so there might be something sooner rather than later from them.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I'll have a look into Duke Hawkins. They've already covered a number of French jets, so hopefully the Rafale will be in future.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reply to let you know we are working on a book on the Dassault Rafale in the Duke Hawkins series. Probably 140 pages, and loaded with action and a huge amount of details. I can't say when it will be released, but we're actively working on it. Now if only someone would do a 1/32 scale kit on this aircraft, I'd drop everything to build it! 

We are also working on a new series that will be launched in February with two books! 

Anyone who has suggestions, please don't hesitate to send me a message. It doesn't always have to be a mainstream aircraft or helicopter, some lesser known types also deserve a book. That's what we did with the SF.260, Alpha Jet or Transall. 

Nic

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, NDB16 said:

Just a reply to let you know we are working on a book on the Dassault Rafale in the Duke Hawkins series. Probably 140 pages, and loaded with action and a huge amount of details. I can't say when it will be released, but we're actively working on it. Now if only someone would do a 1/32 scale kit on this aircraft, I'd drop everything to build it! 

We are also working on a new series that will be launched in February with two books! 

Anyone who has suggestions, please don't hesitate to send me a message. It doesn't always have to be a mainstream aircraft or helicopter, some lesser known types also deserve a book. That's what we did with the SF.260, Alpha Jet or Transall. 

Nic

Thanks for the heads-up Nic, that's great news. The Dave Hawkins series are a fantastic resource, so I look forward to it's release.

42 minutes ago, NDB16 said:

Just a reply to let you know we are working on a book on the Dassault Rafale in the Duke Hawkins series.

Great news!

42 minutes ago, NDB16 said:

Now if only someone would do a 1/32 scale kit on this aircraft, I'd drop everything to build it!

That would be TREMENDOUS news! :lol:

43 minutes ago, NDB16 said:

Anyone who has suggestions, please don't hesitate to send me a message. It doesn't always have to be a mainstream aircraft or helicopter, some lesser known types also deserve a book.

Would love to see you tackle the SR-71 Blackbird :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 5:52 PM, NDB16 said:

Great fan of this series!! Rafale :thumbsup:

What about a L-39 and Saab105/SK-60 series?

Gripen is also still missing ;)

Helicopters?

Mi-24 would be great....

Thank you for your suggestions! Please know that we take them seriously - we want to continue the mix of books we have now (including some lesser known aircraft). We recently received a suggestion from a gentleman in The Netherlands who asked for a book on the Twin Otter. It might take some time, but why not?

For 2022, we will release quite a few books, and the first helicopters will also appear in the series.  

The SR-71? Ow yess... Now that would be a great project to do. I also like the idea of the L-39, but would include the L-59 and L-159. 

At the moment, we're fully working on the new series for February, but by then, new books in the current series will be released too!

Thank you for the suggestions!

Nic

• Like 1