MALTA Spitfire Mk Vc 1/72, from operation "Bowery" deliver by the USS Wasp, Kit Sword.

It's nice, but I would finish it off with some semi-gloss varnish (of course mask the clear parts), so the decals and surface have the same shine.

The roundels on the wing are too shiny compared to the rest of the wing, if you know what I mean. 

26 minutes ago, Remus389 said:

It's nice, but I would finish it off with some semi-gloss varnish (of course mask the clear parts), so the decals and surface have the same shine.

The roundels on the wing are too shiny compared to the rest of the wing, if you know what I mean. 

I see, but I have always problem with varnish.

All my models are brush paint.

Alain

2 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

I see, but I have always problem with varnish.

All my models are brush paint.

Alain

You can buy a can. i recommend Mr. Hobby semi gloss.

This is my Lancester before varnish:

spacer.png

After varnish:

spacer.png

As you can see, the roundel has the same shine.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Remus389 said:

You can buy a can. i recommend Mr. Hobby semi gloss.

This is my Lancester before varnish:

spacer.png

After varnish:

spacer.png

As you can see, the roundel has the same shine.

Thank you for your info

Alain

3 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Another lovely Malta Spit, I admire your productivity !

Wulfmank

Thank you very much.

Well, most of the time, I finish 3 models a week.

Alain

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Another good one.

I wouldn't worry too much about the shiny roundels, insignia was often painted in paints with non-matt sheen.

I agree, the model looks great as it is, and is an outstanding job, but still, I think it would benefit from a semi gloss varnish. 

The original has the same "shine" everywhere. 

spacer.png

Edited by Remus389

Macalain, I’m not a good builder, but I also brush paint and I think that a coat of Klear or similar self shine transparent floor polish works wonders. Goes on smoothly and can be used over transparencies. One coat is sort of semi Matt, more coats gives a better shine.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Remus389 said:

I agree, the model looks great as it is, and is an outstanding job, but still, I think it would benefit from a semi gloss varnish. 

spacer.png

On that Spirfire everything is glossy, however, that's a modern 'warbird' (note the pilot's 21st century helmet). It's painted with polyurethane paints to preserve it. The shine is totally different to that seen on a 1940s aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Another good one.

I wouldn't worry too much about the shiny roundels, insignia was often painted in paints with non-matt sheen.

Thank you very much, and thank's for the info.

Alain

7 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

On that Spirfire everything is glossy, however, that's a modern 'warbird' (note the pilot's 21st century helmet). It's painted with polyurethane paints to preserve it. The shine is totally different to that seen on a 1940s aircraft.

Here are some original color photos: https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/the-beautiful-spitfire-in-colour.html

You have to decide, but I still think the roundels are too shiny and the wings are too matte next to eachother. Don't misunderstand me, I'm trying to be constructive here, and I like the model. 👍

A semi gloss varnish would make the roundels less shiny and the wings a bit more shiny, so it evens it out. 

Edited by Remus389
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Remus389 said:

spacer.png

Yes, but don't forget that people take a great care of  actual Spitfire or other warbirds

I was in the Belgian Air Force, and there where 2 planes at the barracks where I work,. These 2 plane a Mirage 5 and a F 104, where completely gloss paint because there where outside.

But don't forget, I don't varnish my models

Alain

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thank you Bertie

Alain

7 minutes ago, Remus389 said:

Here are some original color photos: https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/the-beautiful-spitfire-in-colour.html

You have to decide, but I still think the roundels are too shiny and the wings are too matte next to eachother. Don't misunderstand me, I trying to be constructive here, and I like the model. 👍

Thank you for the nice pictures

Alain

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillF67 said:

Macalain, I’m not a good builder, but I also brush paint and I think that a coat of Klear or similar self shine transparent floor polish works wonders. Goes on smoothly and can be used over transparencies. One coat is sort of semi Matt, more coats gives a better shine.

Thank you for the info

Alain

@MACALAIN,

I know what you mean about the trials and tribulations of brush painting and decals-  brush painting the camouflage colors is hard enough, especially on a large model like your Lancaster, but getting a coat of clear over everything, whether it be matte, semi-gloss, or gloss, is even harder! Back when I was  brush painting, I either used Testor's Dullcote (Tells you how old I am!) over the decals while they were still on the sheet, or in the case of roundels/fin flashes, codes, I painted Dullcote over them with a very small brush after they had been applied and were dry. Much easier nowadays with all of the water based lacquer or acrylic clear finishes available. You'll get there, it just takes practice! The hardest part for me was always how to prevent silvering of the decals- I could trim right up to the edge of codes/roundels/fin flashes with surgical scissors, but RAF/RN serials were an impossibility until I learned about putting Future down before applying them, then overcoating with clear to give the final sheen desired. @tonyot is a master brush painter, and he always seems to get decals on with no silvering, so maybe he would be willing to  share his expertise with you.

Mike

Getting better at  model building takes the three P's: practice, practice, practice! :giggle:

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

@MACALAIN,

I know what you mean about the trials and tribulations of brush painting and decals-  brush painting the camouflage colors is hard enough, especially on a large model like your Lancaster, but getting a coat of clear over everything, whether it be matte, semi-gloss, or gloss, is even harder! Back when I was  brush painting, I either used Testor's Dullcote (Tells you how old I am!) over the decals while they were still on the sheet, or in the case of roundels/fin flashes, codes, I painted Dullcote over them with a very small brush after they had been applied and were dry. Much easier nowadays with all of the water based lacquer or acrylic clear finishes available. You'll get there, it just takes practice! The hardest part for me was always how to prevent silvering of the decals- I could trim right up to the edge of codes/roundels/fin flashes with surgical scissors, but RAF/RN serials were an impossibility until I learned about putting Future down before applying them, then overcoating with clear to give the final sheen desired. @tonyot is a master brush painter, and he always seems to get decals on with no silvering, so maybe he would be willing to  share his expertise with you.

Mike

Getting better at  model building takes the three P's: practice, practice, practice! :giggle:

Don`t get me involved in this!! ... We all get silvering decals! 

Edited by tonyot
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, tonyot said:

Don`t get me involved in this!! ... We all get silvering decals! 

I hope you will have a good Telford show.

Alain

PS : the decals looks not so shinning on the model than on the picture. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
15 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

A very attractive color scheme. You have indeed covered the considerably wide array of camo patterns in your Malta collection.

Thank you, I folow the book of Paul Lucas "COLOUR CONUNDRUM3 Compendium N°1 Scale Aircraft Modelling publication.

Alain