F-14A VF-51 Screaming Eagles - Academy 1/72

Wings unlevel

This is a hard time of year to snatch any time to get any modelling done! So making the deadline is looking questionable, but at least my model is starting to look like the finished product. 

Progress

This afternoon I applied the light gull grey basecoat. I've mentioned this already but I'm using the AK Interactive Real for the LGG and it sprayed beautifully. I'm really happy with the finish over the black primer. Panel line detail is showing through nicely/subtle-ly without any preshading.  

Have also been plugging away on the weapons, undercarriage, the landing gear wheel wells, the aluminium wing leading edges etc, all the fiddly bits. Oh and lots of fiddling with masking tape and cleaning the airbrush!!

Overall I'm really happy with how it is looking, but there is plenty of opportunity to muck it up yet!

(Vertical tails are temporarily attached with BluTack here because I thought it would look cool!)

Progress

Busy week ahead so I may miss trapping the third wire trying to land this thing before hitting bingo - we'll see!

Gerard

Edited by Wings unlevel
  • Like 10

Today's update:

Slow going

It's been slow going this week, due to family and work commitments. Progress has been limited to a second coat of light gull grey, painting the black (anti glare?) on the nose, the aluminium leading edges of the vertical tails, minor touch ups, and fitting the fuel tanks. I posed the jet for this photo as a bit of a morale fillip more than anything. It's not quite as complete as it looks! Am very grateful for the deadline extension.

Fun fact - I discovered the kit comes with two variants of Sidewinder - but I only realised when I went to paint the missile noses black (the AIM-9Hs were all-white). So for future reference, the kit actually comes with two AIM-9Hs and two AIM-9L/Ms. I just cut two Sidewinders off the sprues without realising they didn't match (really should wear my glasses more!). My plan was always to have a load-out of 1 x AIM-9, 1 x AIM-7 and 2 x AIM-54s, I was prepping the extra missiles for redundancy, and so will use the -9L/M.

Oh and if you are particularly eagle-eyed, you'll notice the decal instructions don't show the black nose, but it's definitely on my reference photos - see here.

Hope your week was more productive than mine!

Gerard

• Like 7

Don't feel like I have much to show for the last two weeks. The jet looks much the same in this image as it has in the last few updates.

Bits and bobs

Have done lots of touch ups/tidy ups, more than I thought would be needed, such as to the undercarriage bays, which I had to re-mask and respray. The black nose also took a couple of goes to get right. It's still not perfect, but as good as my eyesight is going to get me to I think!

Also discovered that my second coat of light gull grey had dried a little rough In patches - mustn't have quite thinned it enough. Thanks to my bro for the pro tip to polish the areas with an old t-shirt, that was quite effective!

Undercarriage and armaments are taking shape, and the wing bags and engine exhausts/afterburner cans are now attached.

Should - should! - finally be able to apply a gloss coat tomorrow and then begin decaling.

Really appreciating the deadline extension - wouldn't have finished the GB without it, and the extra two weeks has given me the opportunity to take a bit more care knowing there's still a little bit of time yet.

Finally, anyone know what these little bumps are that I didn't remove? Just noticed this step in the instructions - too late now!

Missed a step

• Like 3

All those little touches equals good progress and you're still moving forward ;) 

On 12/26/2021 at 11:45 AM, Wings unlevel said:

Finally, anyone know what these little bumps are that I didn't remove? Just noticed this step in the instructions - too late now!

Missed a step

Those are covers for later ECM kit but not a noticeable aspect of the machine if we're not looking for them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Col. said:

All those little touches equals good progress and you're still moving forward ;) 

Those are covers for later ECM kit but not a noticeable aspect of the machine if we're not looking for them.

Looks like my jet received a premature EW upgrade then! 🙈

• Like 1

Descaling took a lot longer than I thought, including all day Thursday, but it’s done.

Decaling

Mangled a few but overall pretty happy with it. Finally got the hang of using Mr Mark Setter and Softer. Learn by doing! Also spent a lot of time cross referencing the decal instructions from the kit (where I mainly used the stencils from), the Milspec decal instructions and pictures of VF-51 jets. Found a few inconsistencies, but did my best zooming in on low res internet images of 40 year old photos!

Second gloss coat went on tonight (didn’t you too spend New Year’s Eve modelling?!).

Glossed up

Some final assembly, a smidge of weathering, a final clear coat and this cat is headed for the gallery! 🤞🤞

• Like 4

Today was a bit painful, both figuratively and literally, but we’re close now. Have attached the horizontal and vertical stabs/tails, the landing gear inc bay doors, and the weapons. Was a bit fiddle in places - who knew carrier aircraft had such complicated landing gear arrangements! 🤦‍♂️

Managed to knick my thumb with my hobby knife in the process too. Nothing major but just annoying when you need all the dexterity you can get when wrangling tiny undercarriage components! 😱

Almost there!

Touch ups tomorrow, but we’re in the groove, we’ve got the ball, and we’re ready to trap. 🤞

• Like 4

Looking very good with the decals on. I know what you mean with the cross refs between different decal instructions. I have just done this with the stencilling of a Japanese Phantom. Oh such fun. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

Looking very good with the decals on. I know what you mean with the cross refs between different decal instructions. I have just done this with the stencilling of a Japanese Phantom. Oh such fun. 

Thanks Jabba! Yes it does your head in!

I’d like to build a Fine Molds F-4EJ this year but I do find all those stencils intimidating!

Right, I'm done!

Done

To be honest the last few days have been a case of two steps forward, one and a half steps back - in finishing off all the detail assemblies, touch ups and decals I made more than a few mistakes and had more than a few frustrations! I uncovered a bit of a clanger of a mistake I'd made in assembling the weapon pylons - I'd put the lower sections on back to front, something that wasn't obvious until I went to mount the Sparrow missile (although if you didn't know it's not really obvious). And I might have had a slight accident with Tamiya tape and the red stripe decals on the insides of the vertical tails, so they're gone now! (Again you wouldn't know they were missing if I hadn't pointed them out, but that was more than a little frustrating at the time.) 

But while my inclination is to focus on the mistakes and flaws, if I take a bigger picture view this is still by far the best model I have completed (to be fair it's only my fourth since taking up modelling again after a near 30 year gap!). I am really pleased with it, and will be even moreso as the frustrations of the last two days fades.

And I learnt a lot too - I used a drill, tried drybrushing and removed a canopy seam for the first time, used proper decal setting and softening solutions for the first time (to the detriment of a a few of the decals, but I got a handle on it in the end!), and more generally felt I developed my basic modelling skills and continued to refine my airbrushing.

But most importantly I learnt the joy of participating in a Britmodeller group build! I very much enjoyed the banter and mutual support, and being on the forum definitely pushed me to finish the model to as high a standard as I could, given the amazing standard everyone else is at here! 

Will post more images to the gallery shortly, plus some thoughts on the kit, decals, paints used and the build itself. But in the meantime thanks all for the encouragement and support, and a particular thanks to our fearless leader @Col. - I'll see you in the Bomber/Strike/GA GB!

Gerard

• Like 4