De-icing 'paste' use by Bomber Command

Scott Hemsley

Mainly out of curiosity at this point, but can anyone enlighten me about the mustard looking de-icing paste seen frequently in wartime operational photos of the early Halifax and Wellington aircraft? I'm not looking for technical data on it, but rather how was it applied and how often was re-applied.  It's my understanding it was a temporary measure and had to be re-applied periodically. 

What brought this about was a photo of a Lancaster Mk.II  - 426 Sqn.'s "Q - Queen of Spades" (DS708), sitting at a dispersal.  Looking at the leading edge of the wing between the engines and outboard, of the same,  there appears evidence that something was carefully applied then removed.  On first glance, the pattern is reminiscent of the de-icing boots that were fitted to post-wat Lancasters.  A copy of this photo can be seen here.  It may be a bit dark, but you can still see the areas of the leading edge that I was referring to.

Anybody comment on either the 'paste' or the photo?

Scott

Or could it be the upper surface colours returned round the leading edge?

The colour seems closer than to the yellow of the roundel,and there might

be a colour line by the inboard engine.HTH.

Derek S

@Scott Hemsley,

Yep- we had a pretty good discussion on this subject with reference articles and photos a while back; I posted some information, as I recall, but it's been a while; I think the topic was started regarding its use on Shackletons. You could look for it. It was also used  on Wellingtons and Hampdens, IIRC.

Mike

It was a mixture of lanolin and resin. Lanolin (wax from sheep wool) is water repellent so stops the ice sticking to the wing. The resin makes it sticky so the paste sticks to the wing.

Edited by 303sqn

Thanks for the pics, Chris ... but returning to my choosen Lancaster B.II, OW-Q ... was this Kilfrost' ever used on the Lanc?  I've yet to see any photo showing that it was ... yet this photo certainly suggests it or something, had been at one time.  I've found another online shot of OW-Q taken from behind and above (the port side).  Even at that angle, enough of the wing is clearly visible that if 'Kifrost" had been used, traces would've shown up in the photo as it curled onto the upper portion of the wing.  However, it appears the wings, etc. had been repainted, thus removing all trace of 'Kilfrost'  ... therefore I'll probably end up doing the build like that.  Takes any guess-work out of the equation.  Besides, it agrees with other shots of 6 Grp. Lancaster B.II's taken about the same period.

Thanks gentlemen, for the information on 'Kilfrost"  Most interesting.  I'd modelled both the Halifax and the Wellington with 'Kilfrost' on the wings, tail-planes and fin without knowing exactly what it was, only that it was there in photos.

Scott

Chris - what do you make of this?    I've posted this hi-res photo of 426's OW-Q (DS708) with Carl Vincent's permission.  FWIW, it's the one that sparked this entire thread.

I've looked at several other 426 & 408 Sqn. Lancaster B.II's that have appeared in articles Carl has written and it can be argued either way, that a fair number (not all) show the same pattern/signs of a 'Kilfrost' application as shown in this photo.  Check out the leading edges of that port wing and the fin.  Oddly enough, the meeting of upper and lower camouflage colours of the tailplane's leading edge,  look untouched.  I'm not concluding there was a 'Kilfrost' application, but that's not the upper cam colours wrapping around the leading edge, either.  IMO, the rough appearance of the Lancaster's leading edge does seem rather similar to the rough condition of the 'Kilfrost' in the Stirling photo that Chris posted above.   :)

If it matters at all, I believe 6 Grp started receiving the Lancaster B.II to replace their Wellingtons, but does anyone know if these were new aircraft or did they inherit hand-me-downs as the feared Merlin engine shortage didn't materialize and Merlin-powered Lancaster's resumed their deliveries to RAF units?

Scott

426-Sqn-Lancaster-B-II-OW-Q-Queen-of-Spa

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 2

Nice! That does look like it could be Kilfrost on that wing. Those couple photos I spoke of above showed a similar pattern on the leading edge, but they were closer shots that didn't show the whole wing, just mostly the bit outboard of the inner engines.

Chris