AIDC F-CK-1C Ching-Kuo WIP (AFV 1/48)

ZHOU Kun

Painted: airbrakes, adaptators of external fuel tanks, wingtip pylons, under wing outer pylons, Tien Chien-1 and 2 AAMs. Also, various antenna and air data probes are on the way. When everything gets it's color, I will airbrush a thin layer of clear coat and then apply decals. A little dye work of oil paint color will be in the second last step before final assembly

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There are two pairs of position lights I painted on this model. One pair is beside the intake trunk, the other being on the wing tip missile launch rails. The intake pairs are not really easy to deal with since the parts are quite small. Although the lights are moulded in clear parts, I applied Mr.Surfacer (primer) and camouflage colors on the whole part. I masked and painted clear red(port) and clear green(starboard) after a thin layer of silver. For the wingtip pair, I simply freehand painted them with a hand brush

spacer.png

AFV Club weapon pylon. There are two metal brackets each to hold the wing tank in place. My opinion is that plug the brackets in the tanks first, align them and then... add a drop or two of instant glue to the top of those brackets before glueing the tanks to pylons. 

spacer.png

I tried to eliminate the mould lines which is parallel to their longitudinal axes. While sanding laterally make the cross sections non-circular, I tried sanding in longitudinal way. HALF SUCCESS🙁 

spacer.png

• Like 3

I painted the antennas and air data probes and glued them on the airframe, after which I applied a thin layer of gloss coat in preparation for decals 

spacer.png

February 28, 2022

Note the gloss shine on the fuselage. From nose to tail, there are several air data probes and antennas. Cone pitot tubes, angle of attack probes, IFF antennas, another pair of pitot tubes, radar warning receiver probes, DME antennas, GPS antenna, VHF antenna 

spacer.png

Bare airframe with gloss coat, before decaling 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Beginning of decaling. AFV Club kit decals were made in Italy but react to water very slowly. I applied the insignias first to check if the decals worked properly  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Underside: decals also complete!

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am afraid that AFV Club forgot to provide enough cradle mark decals for auxiliary fuel tanks. There should be four for each tank, yet I found only four on my decal sheet....so I applied them to the outboard side only 

spacer.png

The Sky Sword TC-2 medium range AAMs also got their decals 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

I have just spotted this thread. Your work is fantastic and the model looks just like the real aircraft.

The colours are very realistic indeed.

Well done

Andy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/03/2022 at 03:36, Aigore said:

Looks great!  A really odd bird....I like it!

On 03/03/2022 at 01:30, Vultures1 said:

Looking really good! Great work

On 04/03/2022 at 04:40, Red Dot said:

I have just spotted this thread. Your work is fantastic and the model looks just like the real aircraft.

The colours are very realistic indeed.

Well done

Andy

Thank you all!

I have been blocked by Imgur for quite a few days so I am updating my WIP thread after finishing this model.

Slight weathering being done, with extremely thinned Winsor Newton oil color (the thinner was Zippo lighter liquid). I used a brush to apply the paints along the panel lines and rivets 

spacer.png

Upper fuselage and wings, finished 

spacer.png

Almost finished, except for four short range air-to-air missiles 

spacer.png

the external tanks received a slight brushing laterally and vertically with thinned Winsor Newton oil (black mixed with brown) 

spacer.png

nose gear bay, nose gear strut and gear door washed. And then ... installed 

spacer.png

Main gear bay, main gear strut(along with main wheels and wheel brake assemblies) and doors washed and installed 

spacer.png

Painting short range air to air missiles. The fins and warhead sections of AIM-9P4 are white, while the body of missile is gray. It took me some time to mask and airbrush. The TC-1 Sky Sword missile is easier to paint. 

spacer.png

Missiles loaded to airframe. The work on airframe is complete. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Final update: diorama base

I painted the threshold of runway  with an FAA spcified marking. 

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/regulations/runway-markings-and-how-they-can-help-you-fly-better-patterns-to-landing-explained/

spacer.png

The threshold markings are 120 feet long and 5.75ft wide. The gap between each marking was not specifed. I quickly got down to work and put mask on a 30 by 20 cm wood base. The base was bought from a local wood base shop and was polished and varnished. I  masked the four edges before I started airbrushing. 

Step1: Apply the concrete runway color to the base. I chose Mr. Color C11 light gray and added a drop of character yellow each time I fill the cup of my PS289 airbrush.

Step2: Mask and paint the threshold markings. 

Step3: Make the blur effect of threhold marking. As you can see in the photos below, I made the blurred effect in four steps for each threshold mark. Each time a make a new step, I apply less white paint 

Step4: Mask and paint the blurred effects of black dots on the runway. I apply mask tape parallel to the center line of runway, apply more paint in the middle and less paint to each end of it

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1